IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

11 minutes ago, elan120 said:

One question about using the heat sink on your regulator, how well in terms of thermal transfer is your regulator using a heat sink such as what your link show?  I plan to use your regulator in other area where heat sink is needed, but not sure how well in thermal transfer is your regulator with the back side of PCB against heat sink with thermal compound in between

Hi
thank you for your feedback, thermal resistance for Rth for the board itself ~30C/W (Junction-to-case + PCB + Insulator), to calculate Junction temp you need to add Rth(H-A) Heatsink-to ambient. If no heatsink - you can consider copper pour as a heatsink with Rth(H-A) ~ 40C/W

you can use silicon rubber pad Insulator i ship with the board (you can not attach heatsink directly due to Vin/Vout traces at the back), thermal compound does not make big sense (may be few degree), 2oz copper PCB used to spread heat more efficiently.

31 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Hi @[email protected],

Good to see you dropping by here.  I am currently using your regulator in my SU-1 to send 5VDC to the main board with outstanding result...

Hi elan120,

but you told me it was not good at this place...!

Ar you using this one? The seller is named Alexey. I don't understand...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Ultralow-noise-0-8-VRMS-LDO-linear-regulators-0V-15V-0-5A-78xx-Layout-/252880467320?hash=item3ae0d9b578:g:jSMAAOSwol5YyCO1

11 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Hi
thank you for your feedback, thermal resistance for Rth for the board itself ~30C/W (Junction-to-case + PCB + Insulator), to calculate Junction temp you need to add Rth(H-A) Heatsink-to ambient. If no heatsink - you can consider copper pour as a heatsink with Rth(H-A) ~ 40C/W

you can use silicon rubber pad Insulator i ship with the board (you can not attach heatsink directly due to Vin/Vout traces at the back), thermal compound does not make big sense (may be few degree), 2oz copper PCB used to spread heat more efficiently.

Hi @[email protected],

Thank you for the follow up information.  That is helpful.

11 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

Hi elan120,

but you told me it was not good at this place...!

Ar you using this one? The seller is named Alexey. I don't understand...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Ultralow-noise-0-8-VRMS-LDO-linear-regulators-0V-15V-0-5A-78xx-Layout-/252880467320?hash=item3ae0d9b578:g:jSMAAOSwol5YyCO1

Hi @roberto2,  I use this regulator in different configuration.  In my case, I removed the stock power supply by using Uptone LPS-1 feeding 7VDC to SU-1, and then using Alexey's regulator to drop the voltage from 7V to 5V feeding the SU-1 main board..

In terms of regulator to use, by having more thermal transfer data from him directly, it can be a replacement part to consider, but make sure to follow his instruction in heat sink and application method.

My experience with this regulator is quite good, and will be replacing the Belleson 3.3V I currently using on the main board to make a comparison.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Hi @roberto2,  I use this regulator in different configuration.  In my case, I removed the stock power supply by using Uptone LPS-1 feeding 7VDC to SU-1, and then using Alexey's regulator to drop the voltage from 7V to 5V feeding the SU-1 main board..

In terms of regulator to use, by having more thermal transfer data from him directly, it can be a replacement part to consider, but make sure to follow his instruction in heat sink and application method.

My experience with this regulator is quite good, and will be replacing the Belleson 3.3V I currently using on the main board to make a comparison.

OK now I understand much better!

About the heat sink, does the stock Singxer SU-1 heat sink would be ok for that regulator?

Just now, roberto2 said:

About the heat sink, does the stock Singxer SU-1 heat sink would be ok for that regulator?

From overall heat transfer standpoint, yes, that will be more than enough, but you will need to check if mounting and hole location will be a match.  Since I don't have my unit here at work, if you need me to measure it, it will have to be later this evening in US.

3 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

Don't forget to electrically insulate that heat sink from the new regulator.  Standard TO-220 insulation components like plastic washer and thermally conductive silicone pad or mica sheet should do the trick.  The heatsink on the stock SU-1 linear power supply is grounded, so electrical insulation for the regulator is a must.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

They connect the transformer in series, which drove the voltage up to 14V output before the bridge rectifier.

I think you are wrong, or there are different PCB revisions.

Let us take a look on transformer (pic.1)

I marked pins from right to left. So, in case of series connection, pins 2 and 3 must be connected together.

Now, let us take a look on the other side (pic.2)

As you could see pins 2 and 4 are connected together. It is hard to see, but on component side pins 1 and 3 are connected together as well. 

Looks like secondaries connected in parallel.

P1020431.JPG

P1020432.JPG

1 minute ago, paulinus said:

I think you are wrong, or there are different PCB revisions.

Let us take a look on transformer (pic.1)

I marked pins from right to left. So, in case of series connection, pins 2 and 3 must be connected together.

Now, let us take a look on the other side (pic.2)

As you could see pins 2 and 4 are connected together. It is hard to see, but on component side pins 1 and 3 are connected together as well. 

Looks like secondaries connected in parallel.

P1020431.JPG

P1020432.JPG

Not sure whether there are different PCB versions, but my reading was measured from the regulator input pin with 12.3VDC, and the output show 4.97VDC.

22 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Don't forget to electrically insulate that heat sink from the new regulator.  Standard TO-220 insulation components like plastic washer and thermally conductive silicone pad or mica sheet should do the trick.  The heatsink on the stock SU-1 linear power supply is grounded, so electrical insulation for the regulator is a must.

Few comments
1. Standard TO-220 insulation does not work (mounting hole 3.1mm dia), BUT you can use M3 screw directly, because heatsink mounting hole DC grounded. You need to use insulator only to protect Vin/out traces (but not screw)

2. If you are using existing heatsink please be sure that it does not touch headers (soldered at the back). If radiators mounting hole placed upto 18mm from heatsink bottom - it can be mounted safely, if more - need to use some tricks

P.S. And sorry - english is not my native language 

I think replacing the caps is a real chore and the danger of ruining the board bigger. Replacing the regulators is easy compared to that. Not to mention that it is doubful whether the outcome is audible compared to the fine Panasonic fcs already there. 

Say NO to ROON

22 hours ago, FIndingit said:

I think replacing the caps is a real chore 

I just got done replacing mine; and you are right.  It's a pain in the *ss.    ....at least it was for someone with my "neophyte" soldering skills.  I'm sure a more skilled tech would have blazed through the job.

...but at least I didn't "brick" my SU-1.  It's back in my system now and I'm giving it a listen.  

Since there's no way to listen to the changes back-to-back any listening impression would be based purely on memory.  So I can't say whether new caps make an audible difference or not.  

(unlike the regulator swap whose improvements were very apparent)  

It certainly doesn't sound any worse and I enjoyed the challenge.    

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Its been a week since I last listened to my system so we will see if my music memory allows me to notice any difference.  I am thinking the changes may be minor since I already had the LPS-1 powering the SU-1.  

I've got the LPS-1 powering my Singxer too and would wager a few bucks that you'll hear an improvement.

In my system the Sparko Labs regulator made a nice change, not as big as the LPS-1, but an improvement.  
I don't think you'll have to "listen hard" to notice the difference.   Enjoy!  

34 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I just got done replacing mine; and you are right.  It's a pain in the *ss.    ....at least it was for someone with my "neophyte" soldering skills.  I'm sure a more skilled tech would have blazed through the job.

...but at least I didn't "brick" my SU-1.  It's back in my system now and I'm giving it a listen.  

Since there's no way to listen to the changes back-to-back any listening impression would be based purely on memory.  So I can't say whether new caps make an audible difference or not.  

(unlike the regulator swap whose improvements were very apparent)  

It certainly doesn't sound any worse and I enjoyed the challenge.    

This is a good point. I've had similar experiences replacing things like voltage regulators with massive improvement. Think of how much even the top of the line regs cost versus some top of the line caps or even worse, cables.

For those you thinking about making the internal DC cable for the 5V directly to the SU-1 board, I can confirm that a Canare 4S8 starquad cable will fit the connector.  Its tight but you can solder the pair of wires to each pin and jam them into the housing.  The 4S8 needs to be bent a bit but the SU-1 cover will fit.  Is there any difference at all using the 4S8 starquad over the smaller 4S8 or even just a pair of wires??  Who knows but I sure feel pretty studly knowing I have that thick cable in there! :)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Surprising you got the 4S8 to fit. I used a 4S6 for @bluesaint's SU-1 and it barely went in. It may be because I had the actual insulation of the wires go into the connector along with a layer of 1/16 heatshrink. I think you're peeling the insulation further back than normal to give it a smaller diameter right? Are you using heatshrink over the tinned soldered wires?

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
14 minutes ago, Energy said:

Surprising you got the 4S8 to fit. I used a 4S6 for @bluesaint's SU-1 and it barely went in. It may be because I had the actual insulation of the wires go into the connector along with a layer of 1/16 heatshrink. I think you're peeling the insulation further back than normal to give it a smaller diameter right? Are you using heatshrink over the tinned soldered wires?

The housing will accept a pair of 4S8 wire with insulation if they are stacked vertically.  It's a tight fit but it will work.  I did not use additional heatshrinking though I did place a piece of insulation between the pair of wires right at the housing just in case.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

OH! No wonder... I recall I had mine more horizontally positioned. Darn...

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

I'm happy to report that I have now a fully super-regulated SU-1 :)

I replaced the power supply regulator with Sparkos Labs SS7805 regulator, as well as the supply capacitors with Panasonic FR series. As you may recall, I previously replaced the main board 3.3v regulator with Sparkos SS1117xx.

Adding the 5v super regulator resulted in an obvious improvement. Obvious compared to the iFi 5v supply I was using previously. The only way I can describe the change is that the music is now more immersive. The sound stage feels organic and natural, all around me, with more precise soundstage positions without harshness or other artifacts. Very, very nice! In quantitative terms, I would rate this as about 10% improvement in SQ over what I had with the iFi supply and the Sparkos 3.3v regulator, so definitely worth the $60 invested.

Installing the new capacitors was pretty easy. Removing the old 5v regulator was quite a bit more challenging, as it was soldered on both sides of the board and all the way through. In the end, I had to remove the heat sink and heat it from above the board to be able to desolder it. Took me about 5 minutes to remove and replace all four capacitors, and another 20 minutes to just unsolder the regulator. Installing Sparkos was pretty easy, I just had to be careful to align the hight with the heatsink before fixing it in place. I put a silicone insulator in between the regulator and the heat sink, as per instructions. 

Oh, and I did twist the stock DC cable, although I really didn't believe it would make any audible difference :)

Here's the original power supply with stock regulator and capacitors. Note a drop of solder on top of one of them.  I didn't do it, I swear!

IMG_2173.thumb.JPG.a8aef6ec40563d27007f6adc98644225.JPG

And here's the supply with changed capacitors and Sparkos regulator, installed in SU-1. The smaller value capacitor had to be bent a little away from Sparkos, as it was nearly touching it:

IMG_2177.thumb.JPG.3bc547f04f193cb734c3af1c241e917e.JPG

I'm very pleased with the changes and am now enjoying anew some of the music that I heard many times before. I did have about 4 hours of warm/up break-in time for the new components before trying it out.