Jump to content
Computer Audiophile
tboooe

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Altabay   
21 minutes ago, thyname said:

What about people who use a microrendu (w/ Roon), Singxer SU-1, and Holo Spring KTE? No computer (in the traditional sense) involved.

 

According to the information on Kitsune site it should just work for you.  You need microRendu 2.5 update and SU-1 v2.2x firmware to enable native DSD512 without the DSD pop problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
1 hour ago, Altabay said:

 

According to the information on Kitsune site it should just work for you.  You need microRendu 2.5 update and SU-1 v2.2x firmware to enable native DSD512 without the DSD pop problem.

 

Thanks! I ordered the uRendu software udpate for the 2.5 micro SD this weekend, and should arrive soon.

 

As far as the SU-1 firmware is concerned:

 

1 - How do I find what the current firmware update on my SU-1 is? I don't have it hooked up to a computer, just to the uRendu.

 

2 - How do I update the firmware on SU-1? I remember this was posted somewhere, but can't find it.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   
15 minutes ago, thyname said:

1 - How do I find what the current firmware update on my SU-1 is? I don't have it hooked up to a computer, just to the uRendu.

 

2 - How do I update the firmware on SU-1? I remember this was posted somewhere, but can't find it.

There is a firmware update exe installed when you install the SU-1 USB driver.  You need to be connected to a PC.  Upgrading the firmware is literally a 1 min process.  Check out the documentation on the Kitsune website.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
Just now, tboooe said:

There is a firmware update exe installed when you install the SU-1 USB driver.  You need to be connected to a PC.  Upgrading the firmware is literally a 1 min process.  Check out the documentation on the Kitsune website.  

 

The issue is I bought the Singxer SU-1 directly from a Chinese seller on eBay. From Kitsune website:

 

NEW 2017 firmware (2.22 and 2.20) for DSD512 native is for customers only and by email request only. This will support the newest OS for Sonore Urendu @ full dsd512 native!

1.only for Singxer SU-1,support DSD512 in native.
2.Do not upgrade any other XMOS device,including SINGXER other XMOS device.
3.V2.20 update for V2.00; (for holo audio, Audio-GD, L.K.S.)
V2.22 update for V2.02. (for PSAUDIO, Gustard, )
This will allow DSD512 only with some versions of linux, or newest OS on the Sonore Microrendu
and with Windows and HoloAudio Spring signed drivers installed. NOT singxer drivers (these only support DSD256 over DOP)

 

I am really confused now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   
6 minutes ago, thyname said:

he issue is I bought the Singxer SU-1 directly from a Chinese seller on eBay

ahhh....not sure what you can do then since Tim has been very clear that this firmware is only for his customers.  Perhaps he would be willing to sell it to you if you offer to pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
Just now, tboooe said:

ahhh....not sure what you can do then since Tim has been very clear that this firmware is only for his customers.  Perhaps he would be willing to sell it to you if you offer to pay?

Sure I can do that.

 

I visited the Shenzhen Audio website, and they don't mention anything there about the 2.20 firmware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
Just now, bluesaint said:

If you've bought other things from him in the past such as Holo spring then that counts too.

 

I bought the Holo Spring KTE from another guy used, but Tim was able to insert my name on it for his records.

 

The only other thing I bought from him is the Singxer SU-1 DC conversion kit, which should arrive today. Would that count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thyname said:

 

I bought the Holo Spring KTE from another guy used, but Tim was able to insert my name on it for his records.

 

The only other thing I bought from him is the Singxer SU-1 DC conversion kit, which should arrive today. Would that count?

That definitely should count, but you'll need to email Tim to confirm and get the firmware either way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ted_b   
4 hours ago, thyname said:

What about people who use a microrendu (w/ Roon), Singxer SU-1, and Holo Spring KTE? No computer (in the traditional sense) involved.

SU-1 needs to be firmware updated, and microRendu needs to be at 2.5 OS (SU-1 certification is in 2.5, not in 2.3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ted_b   
8 hours ago, scan80269 said:

You've also proven that the SU-1 with Spring USB driver can support DACs (with I2S input) other than the Spring itself, so the Spring USB driver is not just for the Spring DAC only.

Although somewhat coincidental (and same XMOS board) this driver may not work that way with too many dacs, especially non-XMOS ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thyname said:

Update: Tim (of Kitsune) was kind enough to email me the SU-1 firmware update file.

 

Very nice of him! I just installed 2.22 firmware on SU-1 and it works, and works well. Awesome!

 

In an abundance of caution I uninstall the Holo Spring driver first, re-installed SU-1 XMOS driver, then flashed new firmware per provided instructions (that was quick and easy!) 

 

I then uninstalled SU-1 driver, and re-installed Holo driver. Fired up HQPlayer, and a wonderful sound comes out at full native DSD512. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   
1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

I then uninstalled SU-1 driver, and re-installed Holo driver. Fired up HQPlayer, and a wonderful sound comes out at full native DSD512. 

Yeah this is great but now I have to consider upgrading my CPU!  Doing DSD512 causes my old i7-3770s cpu to reach 70-80% utilization.  For PCM this is ok I suppose but converting DSD to DSD512 causes some occasional hiccups.  Things are made worse because I do 2 channel convolution.  Man it never ends in this hobby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   

Just to make it clear:

 

1 - I download the file Tim sent on my PC

 

2 - Connect same PC via USB cable to the SU-1 USB input

 

3 - Then what?

 

It is a bit confusing for me, since I don't use a computer hooked up to the SU-1. My computer is running Roon Core remotely, then microRendu is acting as a Roon endpoint / network player hooked up to the SU-1 via USB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   

@thyname you need to install the USB driver for the SU-1.  Once you do that, go the XMOS folder and there is an executable that will allow you to upgrade the firmware.  Read the instructions on Tim's website for exact directions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
Just now, tboooe said:

@thyname you need to install the USB driver for the SU-1.  Once you do that, go the XMOS folder and there is an executable that will allow you to upgrade the firmware.  Read the instructions on Tim's website for exact directions.

So the driver for the SU-1 is a separate file from the firmware file that Tim just emailed me today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   
Just now, thyname said:

So the driver for the SU-1 is a separate file from the firmware file that Tim just emailed me today? 

Correct.  First download and install the USB driver for the SU-1.

 

https://kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Singxer-English-USB-Driver-Kitsune-v3.34.0.zip

 

Once you install it, go to your Program Files on your hard drive, and look for the XMOS folder.  In that folder go to the folder USBAudioStDriver_3086.  From that folder run the exe "xmosusbaudiost3086_dfuapp.exe".  Once you run that, the application will ask you for the location of the firmware upgrade file.  That is the file Tim sent you.  Save that somewhere on your PC and select that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
Just now, tboooe said:

Correct.  First download and install the USB driver for the SU-1.

 

https://kitsunehifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Singxer-English-USB-Driver-Kitsune-v3.34.0.zip

 

Once you install it, go to your Program Files on your hard drive, and look for the XMOS folder.  In that folder go to the folder USBAudioStDriver_3086.  From that folder run the exe "xmosusbaudiost3086_dfuapp.exe".  Once you run that, the application will ask you for the location of the firmware upgrade file.  That is the file Tim sent you.  Save that somewhere on your PC and select that.

 

Got it. Thanks @tboooe !!

 

Can I do this today, or should I wait until I receive the microSD for the 2.5 uRendu software update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tboooe   
2 minutes ago, thyname said:

 

Got it. Thanks @tboooe !!

 

Can I do this today, or should I wait until I receive the microSD for the 2.5 uRendu software update?

Do it today but of course you wont get native DSD until you upgrade to 2.5.  Until then you can continue to do DoP.

Edited by tboooe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thyname   
1 minute ago, tboooe said:

Do it today but of course you wont get native DSD until you upgrade to 2.5.  Until then you can continue to do DoP.

 

Thanks! Wish me luck. I would be replacing the SU-1 power supply with LPS-1 today too. The KTE DC conversion kit shows "delivered" in the USPS tracking system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Energy   
6 minutes ago, thyname said:

do I really have to buy that Win Rar license for $30?

 

You never have to buy it. Use Winzip if Winrar isn't working well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×