IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

I was almost sold on this or the F1, but your comments on midrange is holding me now.... :)

Well for less $200 it could be worth going for the F-1 anyway.

Also want to make sure that no one gets the impression that the SU-1 is lean or bright. Relative to the Mutec, the SU-1 does not sound as warm and lush. I think most people would probably say my system is overly warm and maybe too syrupy in the midrange. This is why I made the comment that the SU-1 balances out my system.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So is the primary use of this to feed older DAC's?

Yes it can be used for that. But it's USB implementation may be better than what is available on a modern DAC, allowing you to use inputs that may sound better.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Well for less $200 it could be worth going for the F-1 anyway.

Also want to make sure that no one gets the impression that the SU-1 is lean or bright. Relative to the Mutec, the SU-1 does not sound as warm and lush. I think most people would probably say my system is overly warm and maybe too syrupy in the midrange. This is why I made the comment that the SU-1 balances out my system.

Thanks.

I have a question on drivers though: will the F1 require any driver on debian linux?

More precisely, I'd curious to experiment with the F1 on my raspberry pi3 but I would like to be sure it would work in first place....

This would be the resulting chain I would set up raspberry-->Uptone USB regen-->Singxer F1-->Chord Mojo Dac

Yes it can be used for that. But it's USB implementation may be better than what is available on a modern DAC, allowing you to use inputs that may sound better.

But you aren't ultimately using it's USB implementation. You are using it's AES/EBU or S/PDif output, You are also using the S/PDif or AES/EBU input of what ever you are feeding. If that unit didn't have good USB implementation why would the other interfaces be any better? You are also relying on it's clock. Where you previously had a better async interface.

Thanks.

I have a question on drivers though: will the F1 require any driver on debian linux?

More precisely, I'd curious to experiment with the F1 on my raspberry pi3 but I would like to be sure it would work in first place....

This would be the resulting chain I would set up raspberry-->Uptone USB regen-->Singxer F1-->Chord Mojo Dac

Why wouldn't you take the $400, $175, $599 (Singxer, Uptone, Mojo) and simply purchase a $1200 DAC?

That's just puzzling.

Why wouldn't you take the $400, $175, $599 (Singxer, Uptone, Mojo) and simply purchase a $1200 DAC?

That's just puzzling.

First of all, I'm looking at the Singxer F1 (200$ with case) and not ath the SU-1 (400$).

Having said that, I see your point, my total would be 200$ (F1) + 150$ (Regen) + 600$ (MoJo) = 950$.

The thing is I already have Regen and MoJo (I used this in my frequent travels) and I was just wondering if the addition of the F1 USB/Spdif converter could improve compared to the direct use of the USB out of the Raspberry into the Regen and then the Dac.

If that unit didn't have good USB implementation why would the other interfaces be any better? You are also relying on it's clock. Where you previously had a better async interface.

Not sure I understand your point here. There are plenty of instances where people prefer the AES or spdif input of their DAC's over its usb.

Are you certain the Mutec had a better asynchronous interface l. If so can you please explain why? I genuinely do not know.

Other components:

How many hours did you put on the SU-1?

I posted a review of it here: XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! - Page 231

And then added this in a later post as the sound changed dramatically:

"An addendum to my short review of the Singxer SU-1 in post #3453. I had around 100-110 hours on it at the time and thought it was fully broken in as the recessed mid-range moved forward in line with the bass and treble then. The SU-1 is, as I noted, very revealing (much more so than the AR-T Legato it replaced) and I thought the coolness I heard was part of it's character (as the Legato/my system are slightly to the warm side).

So I was surprised when I turned it on at around 130 hours and heard a very harmonically rich, but accurate, presentation. Very pleasantly surprised."

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

ahhhh...I knew I forgot to include something in my original post. I only had about 40 hours on the SU-1. I think at this point I am up to 60 hours. I will pay attention to how the sound changes over time. Its interesting to see how much our initial impressions are similar though I must admit your review was much more eloquent than mine!

BTW, too bad that thread on Head-fi got locked. It was/is is a very good and informative one. I wish the mods would consider re-opening it.

Other components:

I just thought there was an overall budget and asking a 'what if'.
It's hard to generalize but if you do follow what has been said here and most other forums, an external USB device will usually be better than the built-in interfaces on just about any DAC. Better power supplies, isolation and the newest XMOS chipsets all seem to have a decided advantage over most internal USB interfaces. There are reasons people do this, not everything sounds the same, and not everything is as simple or as easy as you seem to think it is. This is a great place to learn if one actually wants.
It's hard to generalize but if you do follow what has been said here and most other forums, an external USB device will usually be better than the built-in interfaces on just about any DAC. Better power supplies, isolation and the newest XMOS chipsets .

You mean like the $99 Behringer UMC204HD? It uses the XMOS chipset, it can take an external power supply.

They're so damn hard to tell apart

The midrange is where I am bit more conflicted. I will admit I am a bit of a closet/wannabe tube guy, though due to laziness I dont own any tube gear. I listen to mainly female vocals and acoustic music so I like a warm, intimate, organic environment.

I highly recommend you try a SET Tube amp with efficient speakers (94+dB).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I highly recommend you try a SET Tube amp with efficient speakers (94+dB).

My speakers are not efficient at all but I do not listen at high volumes so I am thinking of getting the Line Magnetic LM-518IA based on the 845 tube. Someone on the web uses this with the same speakers I have and says the sound is to do die for!

Other components:

My speakers are not efficient at all but I do not listen at high volumes so I am thinking of getting the Line Magnetic LM-518IA based on the 845 tube. Someone on the web uses this with the same speakers I have and says the sound is to do die for!

Oh yes, LM SET looks very nice indeed. You should still get a good idea at normal volumes with speakers not efficient enough (which I currently have too) especially if you do not sit too far, but you know how it goes:

Once you hear the SET mid-range, your next pursuit will certainly be giving it the high-efficiency driver or speakers it needs to shine even more :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Once you hear the SET mid-range, your next pursuit will certainly be giving it the high-efficiency driver or speakers it needs to shine even more :D

Very true, been there done that for many years. The problem is IMO you tend to limit your listening to fit the system and get away from (big) music which might sound as good with SETs and single drivers.

The 845 amp tboooe mentioned is a nice amp with power to drive less than efficient speakers. :)

Very true, been there done that for many years. The problem is IMO you tend to limit your listening to fit the system and get away from (big) music which might sound as good with SETs and single drivers.

The 845 amp tboooe mentioned is a nice amp with power to drive less than efficient speakers. :)

+1

SET amps just don't rock, they became popular in the 90's, when I used to sell them with horns, because they provided an antidote to cold sterile digital sound at the time. Digital is much better now and the OP's speakers are great!

SET amps just don't rock, they became popular in the 90's, when I used to sell them with horns, because they provided an antidote to cold sterile digital sound at the time. Digital is much better now and the OP's speakers are great!

Apparently they don't, but I've listened to Audioslave and Pearl Jam's Vitalogy today and mine does.

Before I built it though, I was reading the designer's comments of what he heard using KT-88 and Big Edcors compared to other tubes and Transformers in his test amp - more capacity in bass and treble, so that's what I chose for implementation.

This said, my current system doesn't go very low with the Mites on their own, so I am planning to build a new set of speakers with a great bottom end as well.

Digital is much better now, but I find that it still even better with my SET Tube amp.

I posted a review of it here: XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! - Page 231

And then added this in a later post as the sound changed dramatically:

"An addendum to my short review of the Singxer SU-1 in post #3453. I had around 100-110 hours on it at the time and thought it was fully broken in as the recessed mid-range moved forward in line with the bass and treble then. The SU-1 is, as I noted, very revealing (much more so than the AR-T Legato it replaced) and I thought the coolness I heard was part of it's character (as the Legato/my system are slightly to the warm side).

So I was surprised when I turned it on at around 130 hours and heard a very harmonically rich, but accurate, presentation. Very pleasantly surprised."

I'm looking to replace my hiFace EVO. This seems to be a good upgrade :)

My Theta Gen VIII dac does not have USB, so I need an USB/SPDIF converter.

I have the MicroRendu with the LPS-1. So I could VBus the F-1 version. (Which seems to be offered in an upgraded version according to some adds on eBay.)

The SU-1 seems to use the same F-1 board, right ?

In addition I can use my EVO clock on the SU-1. And of cause the AES/EBU interface.

Should I expect a better sonic performance with the SU-1 over the F-1 ?

A'm thinking that the power in the SU-1 may be a source for introducing more noise, am I wrong ?

Would I actually benefit to use the EVO clock ?

Does anyone know of this unit has the same HW ?

FUN01 XU208 XMOS USB Audio Digital Interface XLR/AES/fiber/coaxial + LPS | eBay

If yes, then this would really be good option withe the UpTone Audio LPS-1 :)