IGNORED

No MCH in Roon? seriously?

Is this right?

What's going on with this?

Are they serious..? 100 bucks a year and no MCH?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Ability to support and play Multichannel files..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Thanks for the responses everyone.

That's encouraging, but everything is vapour in this networked music distribution space until it's actually seen IMHO...

I am super impressed with the Roon GUI and music library experience. It is excellent! I guess that's it's selling point right?

But not to impressed so far with the tag selection abilities. ie can't search on bit 16 vs 24, or 44 vs 192 vs DSD? and obviously not on no. of channels and that type of thing.. or maybe this is a limitation of RoonServer running on my QNAP? And I haven't set it up in settings right? But I can't see this functionality...You guys will know.. Am I missing something here?

Also can RoonServer be set up as a DLNA server (say like Asset and MinimServer)... and be called (for want of a better word) by an DLNA endpoint like the Heos? Be even better if Roon could be pushed to a DLNA end point??

For example, I thought it was bit weird that Roon saw my networked Marantz MCH amp as a Airplay endpoint (not as a DLNA endpoint), so downsampled my DSD tracks... even though the Marantz is now DSD streaming capable... again. is this settings??

I wouldn't be forking out the 100 bucks until tags and multichannel file handling is at least as good as Asset and MinimServer.. (one of which is only a couple bucks and the other free)...no matter how good the interface is...

Thoughts?

Yes and with the promise to support other platforms/devices.

The Exasound E28/Exasound playpoint combo with be the obvious choice: surely?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

That's encouraging, but everything is vapour in this networked music distribution space until it's actually seen IMHO...

I am super impressed with the Roon GUI and music library experience. It is excellent! I guess that's it's selling point right?

But not to impressed so far with the tag selection abilities. ie can't search on bit 16 vs 24, or 44 vs 192 vs DSD? and obviously not on no. of channels and that type of thing.. or maybe this is a limitation of RoonServer running on my QNAP? And I haven't set it up in settings right? But I can't see this functionality...You guys will know.. Am I missing something here?

Also can RoonServer be set up as a DLNA server (say like Asset and MinimServer)... and be called (for want of a better word) by an DLNA endpoint like the Heos? Be even better if Roon could be pushed to a DLNA end point??

For example, I thought it was bit weird that Roon saw my networked Marantz MCH amp as a Airplay endpoint (not as a DLNA endpoint), so downsampled my DSD tracks... even though the Marantz is now DSD streaming capable... again. is this settings??

I wouldn't be forking out the 100 bucks until tags and multichannel file handling is at least as good as Asset and MinimServer.. (one of which is only a couple bucks and the other free)...no matter how good the interface is...

Thoughts?

WRT searching by bitrate, media type, etc., you just click on the "Focus" button (upper left hand corner) and select "Format":

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.02.23 PM.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Sure. But using RoonServer on QNAP (it is the linux version).. the only Focus options are Countries, Genre and Performer types? I can see no "format" option?? Like I said is this a Roon Server on Linux thing?

I am certainly hoping so. ;-)

....I have an E28 sitting here in my Rack waiting just itching itself and waiting... yearning even... for an Exasound playpoint.... :)

WRT searching by bitrate, media type, etc., you just click on the "Focus" button (upper left hand corner) and select "Format":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29854[/ATTACH]

Edit. Found format. Format is not an option of focus under Artists... LOL

Sure. But using RoonServer on QNAP (it is the linux version).. the only Focus options are Countries, Genre and Performer types? I can see no "format" option?? Like I said is this a Roon Server on Linux thing?

Better to ask this at the Roon Community. I'm using Roon Server on Windows 10 and have all the options available on the device running the user interface-both Windows and Android.

The full Focus option should allow you to crate and save just about any "smartlist" definition you can think of.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Edit. Found format. Format is not an option of focus under Artists... LOL

What does that mean? You should be able to focus on Artist(S) and separately to define format - one isn't under the other. If you define both in a focus group and save the group, it will do exactly what you seem to be asking about.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Is this right?

What's going on with this?

Are they serious..? 100 bucks a year and no MCH?

Maybe it wasn't aimed at multichannel users? Is that such a shock?

I've been using it for over a year and love it, but don't have any multichannel files, so I guess I'm the target audience - at least at the moment.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Maybe it wasn't aimed at multichannel users? Is that such a shock?

I've been using it for over a year and love it, but don't have any multichannel files, so I guess I'm the target audience - at least at the moment.

You are quite right, I am sure. Mch music is a tiny niche, and its adherents tend to be classical music listeners, like me. I insist on Mch classical. But, classical is also a small niche in the music market, which explains Roon's weakness there as well. There are a few special requirements in maintaining a classical library that Roon just does not support.

There is much to admire about Roon, its GUI and auto-tagging. It is and will continue to be, I am sure, a great success for pop/rock/jazz libraries. But, it's not for me.

JRiver, though more complex and less easy to learn initially, is what I use. But, I am well past the initial learning issues. It handles all my preferred music media formats, including Mch, and, with just a few custom fields, handles my very large, mainly classical library extremely well. Tagging the library, however, is heavily manual, unlike Roon. Except, many classical releases, particularly Mch SACD, are more esoteric and the metadata for Roon's auto tagging is just not available via the web. So, manual tagging is just a fact of life for classical, even in Roon as it now stands.

JRiver also handles video from BD, DVD and even television for me. Plus, it has control features that have made the preamp/processor in my system obsolete and totally unnecessary. JRiver has become the center point of my system in a way that I do not foresee Roon ever equaling.

Price is not the overriding issue, but JRiver is what, about 50 bucks or so one-time? It is well supported by the developers and a large user community. Annual version upgrades are completely optional and cost under $25.

What does that mean? You should be able to focus on Artist(S) and separately to define format - one isn't under the other. If you define both in a focus group and save the group, it will do exactly what you seem to be asking about.

You should be able to but you can't.

I can't go into artists and find which artist have DSD content. Format is only available when filtering Albums.

Roon isn't very relational that way and one of my pet peeves.

Another example is adding a custom tag to certain albums. I would then want to go into Artists and only lists artists that have albums with my custom tag. The reason I would want to do this is my collection has become rather large and I want to start tagging my well recorded albums and filtering my collection at an artist level of well recorded music.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

You should be able to but you can't.

I can't go into artists and find which artist have DSD content. Format is only available when filtering Albums.

Roon isn't very relational that way and one of my pet peeves.

Another example is adding a custom tag to certain albums. I would then want to go into Artists and only lists artists that have albums with my custom tag. The reason I would want to do this is my collection has become rather large and I want to start tagging my well recorded albums and filtering my collection at an artist level of well recorded music.

Yes My point exactly. Sick of people saying "it has to be done *that way*" W :)