IGNORED

New launch - iSILENCER3.0

Accessories > iSilencer3.0

main.jpg

The iSilencer3.0 address the issue of noise at the source, the USB port. As USB is bi-directional, it makes sense to pay attention here and the iSilencer3.0 with ANC technology cuts noise by 40dB or 100x.

Active Noise Cancellation®.

Fighter jet technology now cornerstone.

ANC.jpg

USB3.0 technology.

iFi only does it to the nth degree.

plug.jpg

REBalance® the USB signal.

Because the USB signal should be balanced.

rebalance.jpg

iSilencer3.0® does what it says.

Silences jitter and packet errors.

wave.jpg

The iSilencer3.0® is an instant upgrade for all USB ports; it adds the following features to the USB ports:

1. Active Noise Cancellation® technology

2. Reduce jitter + packet errors

3. REbalance® the USB signal

4. USB3.0 technology for optimal transfer The iSilencer3.0® is the most direct and simple upgrade for any USB port, it lowers noise/RFI/EMI by up to 40dB or 100x.

It is ideal for the home and on-the-go improvement of all devices connected to the USB port, e.g. Computer Servers, Mixers, Hard drives etc. Regardless of the system; from US$10,000 to US$100, the iSilencer3.0® terminates noise, in its tracks.

Wave2.jpg

Active Noise Cancellation® by AMR/iFi now rolling out across the range

Active Noise Cancellation® by AMR/iFi is in-house technology developed to cut out noise in a very significant way in the audio field. It is now the bedrock of iFi signal/power products because…..they need to address the issue of noise in both signal and power situations.

What is the Active Noise Cancellation circuit design?

Drawing from the military field (specifically the Thales Spectra radar cancellation system deployed in the French Dassault Rafale jet fighter), iFi adapted this technology to exclusively introduce the Active Noise Cancellation® (ANC®) audio power system. It is now a cornerstone of the ever-improving iFi USB audio technology, looking for new products to feature ANC® ,and ANC+®.

ANC3.jpg

An air defence radar is transmitting at a certain frequency; the signal is bouncing off the aircraft; a receiver on board the aircraft picks up the signal and a computer analyses its base frequency/modulations and an identical, out-of-phase signal is generated by an on board system to cancel out the enemy radar signal.By generating a signal identical to the noise signal but in the exact opposite phase, it actively cancels all the incoming noise. ANC® is the perfect ‘antidote’ for power supply noise, the bane of USB audio.

ANC2.jpg

ANC® measured, noise drops by 100 times or 40dB in comparison to the Common Noise Filter. Sonically, the background and inner resolution to recordings is enhanced several levels.

100x

Multiple iSilencer3.0s have exponential benefit

2.jpg

The iSilencer3.0® can be used not only at the active USB ports but also at unused USB ports where it will reduce radiated EMI and as the ANC circuitry is unidirectional and usually all USB ports share one power bus, it will reduce noise bus-wide for all USB Ports, including for example an active port that has another iSilencer3.0® plugged-in which is the one connected to another device.

1.jpg

Multiple ANC circuits will simply double the noise reduction each time the number of ANC units is doubled. So 2 x iSilencer3.0® will kill double the noise of a single-one and four for example will kill four times the noise of a single one, if they are plugged into the same block of USB Ports and even though only one iSilencer3.0® has a cable plugged into it.

USB3.0 technology, at the cutting-edge

plug.jpg

It is now a hallmark of all the latest iFi signal and power products to be USB3.0 standard. First USB3.0 is backwards compatible with USB2.0. Second, in terms of the specifications, USB3.0 is superior to USB2.0 eg the wire gauge specification is more exhaustive and the connections are better.

Hence, the iSilencer3.0® is USB3.0 standard but also 2.0 compatible.

Eye pattern is better which reflects reduced jitter/packet errors

wave.jpg

The feature-packed iSilenercer3.0® means it is diminutive size belies it monster noise-killing properties. And because USB port noise is ubiquitous at the source, from computer to hard drive multiple iSilencer3.0®s have a quite impressive impact on improving sonics. Yes we can see this on an eye pattern graph but the proof is in the listening and as always, we recommend our customers to take the iSilencer3.0® for a spin.

Specifications:

Supports USB3.0 and USB2.0 standard

Military-grade printed circuit board with audiophile components

Dimensions: 48 (l) x 18 (w) x 8 mm (h)

Weight: 6.3g (0.22oz)

The EU retail price: €55 incl VAT

The US retail price: $49 ex-tax

rebalance.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Hi, can you please explain how or if the iSilencer3.0 and the iDefender can be used together?

I have an iPurifier2 (and an iUSB). Do either of these new products improve on it? (I have no particular need for USB3.0).

Is an iUSB3.0 better?

Your product range has got a bit confusing!

Hi, can you please explain how or if the iSilencer3.0 and the iDefender can be used together?

I have an iPurifier2 (and an iUSB). Do either of these new products improve on it? (I have no particular need for USB3.0).

Is an iUSB3.0 better?

Your product range has got a bit confusing!

The iSilencer3.0 and iDefender3.0 have specific roles that have some overlap with other products but have their own jobs and are meant to be placed at the computer and not DAC's side. Two of our latest products are also priced much lower to help out in cases where more expensive ones can't be justified on value for money ground.

iSilencer3.0

The iSilencer3.0 contains our proprietary re-balance technology, which was introduced in the original iPurifier, but now fully applied to USB3.0 and with iFi's ANC addition to reduce power supply noise. It performs all this cleanup before the signal hits the USB Cable, at the very source of the problems. iSilencer3.0 will improve signal and power quality upstream of the USB cable. As such, for example its effect is cumulative with other iFi products containing ANC if USB bus power is used. It will also improve signal integrity and reduce EMI from the USB port it is plugged into.

iDefender3.0

The iDefender3.0 includes isoEarth to break ground loops and remove noise travelling on the ground (and power) connection. Again, it does that upstream of the USB Cable, at the computer side.

If the DAC's USB section draws no power from the USB bus but uses it only for "handshake", it is used stand alone.

Where the DAC relies in any way on bus power (or other bus powered devices are used between computer and DAC) it allows the addition of any 5V power supply (iPower is recommended).

This power supply is needed to break the ground loop, as drawing power from the USB bus would force the ground isolation to be bypassed.

This brings us to the third feature of the iDefender3.0, meant especially for use in DJ or pro-audio systems, where a lost power connection would mean a dropped set or a lost recording. In this case the iDefender3.0 will transparently switch back instantly to USB bus power, so while quality may be lowered, no note is lost.

iSilencer3.0 + iDefender3.0

Both may be combined and used for example with a cheap and noisy 5V power supply. In this case iDefender3.0 should come first, to break any ground loop and allow the power to be fed into the system.

The following iSilencer3.0 would use ANC to reduce the noise from the cheap external PSU (not required if iPower is used) and improve signal integrity and EMI.

iSilencer3.0 + iDefender3.0 + others

Depending on other devices used in the chain. iSilencer3.0 and iDefender3.0 can inexpensively add their function to existing chains that miss them, regardless if they are using iFi gear or not. Be it ground loop prevention, injecting a clean power supply or improving USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports signal integrity and EMI.

As a general rule, most of the tech in iSilencer3.0 & iDefender3.0 already exists in iFi gear. Yet, for example, iSilencer3.0 placement upstream from an iUSB 3.0 micro will improve the signal it receives, while iDefender3.0 & 5V iPower addition upstream of the iUSB 3.0 nano will give it ground loop isolation.

If you owned one iUSB 3.0 Nano, one iSilencer3.0, and one iDefender3.0; and you were going to deploy them between a low power PC (with quality external linear power supply but no internal modifications for Audio) used as Windows NAA and the T&A DSD8 DAC, which doesn't need external USB 5V, how would you deploy them?

The PC has 3 USB ports.

If you owned one iUSB 3.0 Nano, one iSilencer3.0, and one iDefender3.0; and you were going to deploy them between a low power PC (with quality external linear power supply but no internal modifications for Audio) used as Windows NAA and the T&A DSD8 DAC, which doesn't need external USB 5V, how would you deploy them?

The PC has 3 USB ports.

PC -> iSilencer -> long USB Cable -> iUSB nano -> iDefender -> very short USB Cable -> DAC

PC -> iSilencer -> long USB Cable -> iUSB nano -> iDefender -> very short USB Cable -> DAC

Thank you, this is very helpful, but could I ask you to slightly less concise? I can see the logic of the sequence, but do you write 'long USB Cable' because you assume I would need a long cable somewhere, or because you are recommending distancing the iUSB nano from the PC?

Thank you, this is very helpful, but could I ask you to slightly less concise? I can see the logic of the sequence, but do you write 'long USB Cable' because you assume I would need a long cable somewhere, or because you are recommending distancing the iUSB nano from the PC?

Yes, the cable after the iUSB nano + iDefender3.0 should be very short, the other as long as it needs to be.

• 4 weeks later...
Would either of these new products work for my setup? Currently run Mac Mini > USB cable > iPurifier 2 into DAC

Thanks in advance!

Between your Mac Mini and a USB cable, surely there's a place for our iSILENCER 3.0.

• 1 month later...

Hello ifi,

I wonder about the connection order

Currently

PC->iDefender3.0 with iPower5V->iSilencer3.0->Supra USB 2.0 cable->Micro iDSD-> Nordost Heimdall 2 cable-> Hifiman Edition X v2

Should the iDefender with iPower5V and iSilencer be reverse order? What is the reasoning here?

Headphone: JCAT Femto USB 2.0 FW -> Mytek Liberty DAC -> Hifiman Jade II energizer with SR Orange Fuse -> Hifiman Jade II (nov '19)

HT/Streaming:Xeon ROON server -> Uptone Etherregen/BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO -> Meridian 210/ATV4K -> Meridian 861V8 Processor/UHD722 HDMI upsampler -> Meridian DSP 8000SE/7200SE/5200SE Speakers. Sim2 HT380 1080P Projector with T2 Optics. XEIT Anamorphic lens. Stewart CineCurve Studiotek 130 Screen.

Hello ifi,

I wonder about the connection order

Currently

PC->iDefender3.0 with iPower5V->iSilencer3.0->Supra USB 2.0 cable->Micro iDSD-> Nordost Heimdall 2 cable-> Hifiman Edition X v2

Should the iDefender with iPower5V and iSilencer be reverse order? What is the reasoning here?

The sequence with iDefender first followed by iSilencer is the correct one.

Thanks!

That sounds clearly better!

I've now completed the iSilencer3.0 loom on the complete system:

Headphone PC: iDefender3.0 with iPower5V -> iSilencer3.0, Two iSilencer3.0 in adjacent empty USB ports

Synology NAS: Two iSilencer3.0 in empty USB ports

TP-Link AC-3150 router: Two iSilencer3.0 in empty USB ports

Meridian MC200 musicserver: Two iSilencer3.0 in empty USB ports

Dune HD Prime 3.0 BD mediaplayer: Two iSilencer3.0 in empty USB ports

Headphone: JCAT Femto USB 2.0 FW -> Mytek Liberty DAC -> Hifiman Jade II energizer with SR Orange Fuse -> Hifiman Jade II (nov '19)

HT/Streaming:Xeon ROON server -> Uptone Etherregen/BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO -> Meridian 210/ATV4K -> Meridian 861V8 Processor/UHD722 HDMI upsampler -> Meridian DSP 8000SE/7200SE/5200SE Speakers. Sim2 HT380 1080P Projector with T2 Optics. XEIT Anamorphic lens. Stewart CineCurve Studiotek 130 Screen.

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone from ifi suggest what might be going on with this setup?

Bhwh2V.jpg

It looks like a portable, usb-powered usb hub fed, through an iSilencer and with another iSilencer following the hub itself and three more iSilencers plugged into spare ports.

This sort of approach would give around four times more noise reduction at the hub than a single iSilencer, using two in series cascades the filters, so at any given frequency the noise reduction is multiplied.

Someone seems to like low noise, that's a given.

Anyone have any results from adding the iSilencer into your system? I'm thinking of going with a Micro USB 3.0 and debating if adding any additional iSilencer to the mix would yield any sonic improvement. I know, I could always test it, but It would be nice to get feedback from others of the net results of adding the iSilencer or multiple iSilencer's to your setup.

Feedback appreciated.

No Disc

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Would it not be better to put a few ISilencers inline i.e. (iSilencer > ISilencer > ISilencer > usb Cable) rather than adding a multi-port hub that adds is own noise to the usb bus? I have no solid data that adding a USB hub adds noise to usb bus, but I had read that all hubs do add noise to some degree. If that is the case, it does not seem logical to add a noisy hub to the usb bus just so you can add noise reducing devices to that bus. Please let me know if my logic is correct in this regard.

Thanks

No Disc

It looks like a portable, usb-powered usb hub fed, through an iSilencer and with another iSilencer following the hub itself and three more iSilencers plugged into spare ports.

This sort of approach would give around four times more noise reduction at the hub than a single iSilencer, using two in series cascades the filters, so at any given frequency the noise reduction is multiplied.

Someone seems to like low noise, that's a given.

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+