IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I have come to the conclusion the reason why many like the wireless more than the passive LS50 is bass extension.  The default setting for the DSP is roughly a 4 db boost at 43 hz as compared to the passive LS50.  I have been experimenting with parametric eq in this range on my passive LS50's and it makes a big difference.

The 50w also does not get ringy when kicked up.  I liked the regular 50 except when turned up.  The top was irritating to my ears and i was using tubes!    The w version stays smooth. 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, Stahl said:

Don’t know if this helps in any way, but my set up is Mac-based. I have Roon core on my MacBook Pro, which is mostly connected and permanently on via an Apple Thunderbolt Display on the first floor. Got the KEFs on the ground floor in the living room, hardwired to my router, and I control everything via the Roon app on my iPad Pro ... this includes Tidal, iTunes Library and high-res music files read from a NAS, and when needed internet radio stations.

Having Roon organize it all is great (although cataloging everything can always be improved of course).

i don’t have the life membership (yet) but do think the annual membership fee is worth it ... hassle free access to all my music sources in a nice package and format.

I understand from multiple sources that the KEFs go to sleep after a while and wake until a physical button is pushed. So how does your set up? do you have to go back to the living room each time to power then on? thanks

thanks for confirming.

it seems that the thread is dying but hoping someone with someone with similar experience can answer.

i am still going back and forth between the KEFs and Xeos (2 and recently launched 20). The lack of a physical connection between the Xeo speakers is a big draw and works for my set up in the office. However it's damn near impossible to ignore the positive rreviews on the Kefs. I and yet to see a direct comparison between them and was wondering if anyone can shed some light.

I will be listening to the 20 and LS next week when back in London so will be able to get some first hand experience. Thanks

It's pretty anecdotal but Ive seen a number of people say the Kefs are better sound quality than the XEO 2's.  You could try on some other audio forums that talk about the Kef's.

I do like that everything is built in to the Kef's not a bunch of add-ons.

The Kefs are a killer combination with Roon since Roon talks directly to them.

• 2 months later...

Right...

Anyone do me a favour who have got a subwoofer with these please as i'm having issues with these Kefs...

Im using the Kef Control app on my iPhone and have 2 saved profiles of speaker management settings, however, if I change source or switch off the iPhone, it loses those saved profiles - ie the bass management between the Kef and the sub is lost and thus the Subwoofer is operating at full range boom... - I have to wake the kefs up by switching to default and then back to one of my saved profile settings

Anybody else noticed this? - Kef and my dealers are looking into my issues as they include the speakers turning on at maximum volume on occasions of which ain't good....

I trialed a pair about 12 months ago and indeed I had this same problem and remarked on this on this very forum post and Kef promised that this will be sorted at the time

I have had many systems throughout my years and these are delightful and will keep them with hopefully resolving my issues

Ken

8 hours ago, kwb1 said:

Anybody else noticed this? - Kef and my dealers are looking into my issues as they include the speakers turning on at maximum volume on occasions of which ain't good....

Wow, that's worrying. Could you please expand on how this happens ? Is this somehow related to the "Kef Control" software, or did it happen to you even without this software being installed (e.g. direct connection to a computer) ?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:36 AM, Poivron said:

Wow, that's worrying. Could you please expand on how this happens ? Is this somehow related to the "Kef Control" software, or did it happen to you even without this software being installed (e.g. direct connection to a computer) ?

I only use a direct connection - USB from iMac into the Kefs USB PC port - it has not done it for a while although the Kefs still ‘forget’ the Speaker settings that are supposedly saved in the Kef Control app...

Do you have a pair and using a subwoofer?

20 hours ago, kwb1 said:

I only use a direct connection - USB from iMac into the Kefs USB PC port - it has not done it for a while although the Kefs still ‘forget’ the Speaker settings that are supposedly saved in the Kef Control app...

Do you have a pair and using a subwoofer?

Thank you for your reply. Well that's even more worrying then :S

I don't own these speakers but was eyeing them, so your feedback is precious. Sorry I can't help with your issues.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, kwb1 said:

Right...

Anyone do me a favour who have got a subwoofer with these please as i'm having issues with these Kefs...

Im using the Kef Control app on my iPhone and have 2 saved profiles of speaker management settings, however, if I change source or switch off the iPhone, it loses those saved profiles - ie the bass management between the Kef and the sub is lost and thus the Subwoofer is operating at full range boom... - I have to wake the kefs up by switching to default and then back to one of my saved profile settings

I trialed a pair about 12 months ago and indeed I had this same problem and remarked on this on this very forum post and Kef promised that this will be sorted at the time

I have had many systems throughout my years and these are delightful and will keep them with hopefully resolving my issues

Ken

Hello, i have just reported a very similar issue to KEF! as far as my tests have gone, the profile changes do not save. i picked the smallest size room and extra bass and after i save the profile and go back into the setting, either the room size has changed or the the bass extension has moved to the lowest setting..

This has been driving me crazy and i was told i didnt have the latest firmware (which i didnt at the time) and i upgraded and still the same issue.

For anyone that's using the extra bass and has it working, have you actually heard any difference in bass? 

On 8/5/2018 at 12:36 AM, Poivron said:

i haven't experienced this problem and Kef control is a welcome addition though they still have a long way to go.

To the guy who reported high volumes, how are you sending audio to the device. I use Roon, NAS, Spotify  and chromecast and each of them can set volume independently so i will suggest you start at the source first.

Other than not being able to get extra bass and  the fact that the kef control cant wake the speakers, it's been a very good buy. 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, DarwinOSX said:

It's pretty anecdotal but Ive seen a number of people say the Kefs are better sound quality than the XEO 2's.  You could try on some other audio forums that talk about the Kef's.

I do like that everything is built in to the Kef's not a bunch of add-ons.

The Kefs are a killer combination with Roon since Roon talks directly to them.

Roon talks directly to Chromecast audio also  and while the integration with Roon works seemlessly, i have found Roon to be very robust and device agnostic -  well, apart from Spotify which i dont understand

10 hours ago, Poivron said:

Thank you for your reply. Well that's even more worrying then :S

I don't own these speakers but was eyeing them, so your feedback is precious. Sorry I can't help with your issues.

A glichy app maybe but these speakers sound phenomenal  and will be keeping them - Kef are continually providing updates and fixes to these and am confident they will get ironed out - No max volume issues for over for a week but the profile speaker settings in the app still forgets the settings and have to wake them up by going into sound default then back to one of my saved profile settings

5 hours ago, batdroid said:

Hello, i have just reported a very similar issue to KEF! as far as my tests have gone, the profile changes do not save. i picked the smallest size room and extra bass and after i save the profile and go back into the setting, either the room size has changed or the the bass extension has moved to the lowest setting..

This has been driving me crazy and i was told i didnt have the latest firmware (which i didnt at the time) and i upgraded and still the same issue.

For anyone that's using the extra bass and has it working, have you actually heard any difference in bass? 

Just tried it and there is seems to be a slight extension but it aint massive

5 hours ago, batdroid said:

Roon talks directly to Chromecast audio also  and while the integration with Roon works seemlessly, i have found Roon to be very robust and device agnostic -  well, apart from Spotify which i dont understand

No Roon - just J River and apple music and a bit of Quobuz on my mac

I tested the analog RCA inputs vs the PC inputs again.

The analog RCA inputs fed by my Aries Femto streamer > Yulong D8 [highly modified] DAC sound way better than the Aries straight into the PC [USB] inputs or using the KEF app as a streamer.

It is not even close....there is so much more warmth, realism ...everything improves through the analog inputs even though I know the analog signal is resampled by the  KEFs DAC .

Obviously this analog signal I am sending the KEFs is of a much higher quality then the one decoded by only the KEFs DAC.....

Just sharing my experience....

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

Agreed with above. Even though the KEF does resample the analog signal, it doesn't take away from whatever the source is. It will let the source signature sound come though. 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

8 hours ago, Guido Del Giudice said:

The analog RCA inputs fed by my Aries Femto streamer > Yulong D8 [highly modified] DAC sound way better than the Aries straight into the PC [USB] inputs or using the KEF app as a streamer.

It is not even close....there is so much more warmth, realism ...everything improves through the analog inputs even though I know the analog signal is resampled by the  KEFs DAC .

Obviously this analog signal I am sending the KEFs is of a much higher quality then the one decoded by only the KEFs DAC.....

I am using the analog inputs as well.  Path is laptop/USB to PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen stage 4 mods/ Chord RCAs to KEF.

SVS sub crossed at 70 in a very large, non-parallel space.  The experience rivals 2ch Ohm Waslh 5s in the same space.  

I was unable to get reliable FB2k playback from the USB connection.  Two or three files would play then nothing.  No issues with playback using analog cables.

11 hours ago, Guido Del Giudice said:

Interesting.. so you don’t need external amplification then?

On 8/7/2018 at 7:13 AM, batdroid said:

Chromecast....that tines DAC sounds terrible, high jitter. its limited in what it will work with, and Google sells your usage of it to advertisers.

You get what you pay for even when you are the product.

Not to mention comparing the two makes zero sense.

Why would you use the built in dac  on the Chromecast when it has an optical output?