IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, y26day said:

This may be the fix for the buzzing noise?  If so, sweet.

The buzzing noise I had on my first set seemed like a physical issue like something failed.  But I can't say for sure.

The 2nd set I had an issue where the left speaker tried to connect over and over again while loudly clicking.  I had to do a bunch of restarts to get it to work.  I think the bug fix might be for the second issue because the left speaker seemed to not be able to establish a connection.

6 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

The buzzing noise I had on my first set seemed like a physical issue like something failed.  But I can't say for sure.

The 2nd set I had an issue where the left speaker tried to connect over and over again while loudly clicking.  I had to do a bunch of restarts to get it to work.  I think the bug fix might be for the second issue because the left speaker seemed to not be able to establish a connection.

Any update will be an improvement for sure.

Will try when back home today.  Can't wait.  Everytime that music was paused from Foobar2000, it will have loud buzzing noise when resume for sure at current state.   I have no problem streaming and pausing to PS Audio Dac.  Hope to see if this fix it.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, FIndingit said:

On my bouncy pinewood floors and medium sized, mostly untreated room, I've found that filling the center column with Atabites was better than Custom Design's own Inert filler. I used one bucket divided in two and later added a little inert filler on top. You can easily hear when it starts to deaden the sound too much. Adds up to c. 2,5 kg per stand, not much really. And don't overtighten those screws! You can actually bend the top plate, as I did.

Between speaker and stand I have three Herbie's fat dots, three is better than four in my opinion. Two front, one back. Experimenting with different isolators here is worthwhile. I removed the original feet of course.

Under the spikes I have what looks like Herbie's spike puckies. They are old ones, he makes many different floor protectors nowadays. I've had the Herbie's products for years, they didn't suit any of my previous loudspeakers, now they are good. Herbie also makes special Fat dots for active speakers, which could be great.

This maybe isn't the most "green" solution, but I went to a local gun shop and bought a 40lb bag of lead shot and mixed it with some kitty litter (about 80 LS/20 Kitty) and it has worked great. Everything is sealed up nice and tight and wow are they dense. 
It was around $40 a bag if memory serves me correct. 
I am using these 28" stands from Audio Advisor http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS400&variation=24

4 hours ago, FIndingit said:

I did the update and I’d swear they sound different now.

·         Yup Me too

Sounded a little lacking in body to my ears after Kef's latest FW Update.

Then I noticed that Roon needed upgrading to 274. 

Restarted Roon and had another play.

With 274 its back to glorious.

BTW I much prefer Roon over wired Ethernet to USB connection with SMS200.

A juicier sound IMHO.

hi guys,...could really do with your imput kindly.

i'm on the fence about these speakers given the 'issues' noted.

but then again, i don't wish to go to the MUCH more expensive dynaudio focus xd20

(3x the cost and really out of my budget..but they have great reliablity/connectivity reviews)...or to separates.

are most of you overall happy with the purchase and would buy them again?

also for my desktop setup with focal alpha 50s (and headphone rig)  i'm using Roon, Tidal, a microrendu (1.4 upgrade) and lps1 power supply...would the microrendu/lps1 still make a difference now that Roon is in the picture...or is it redundant? i just read one gent above noting people who have the MR are finding it not necessary now with Roon (i always thought the signal from ethernet/usb would always be cleaner with a MR or such...guess i'm wrong?)

many thanks for any imput.....i have to decide tomorrow if ill take a pair at US1750.

sure it's a sale, but if in the longer run proves it's a hassle with repeat pairs (returns/exhanges) needing to get it right then i'm wary of spending my hard earned money.

I would have to say I would think long and hard about buying them again.  I probably would not.  

I could not recommend them to a friend for concern that they might have issues.

Are you getting them new for $1750?  if so use a card that doubles the warranty and keep the box.

i found a SonicTransporter and an All US Bridge to be redundant after Roon integration.

17 minutes ago, canali said:

hi guys,...could really do with your imput kindly.

i'm on the fence about these speakers given the 'issues' noted.

but then again, i don't wish to go to the MUCH more expensive dynaudio focus xd20

(3x the cost and really out of my budget..but they have great reliablity/connectivity reviews)...or to separates.

are most of you overall happy with the purchase and would buy them again?

also for my desktop setup with focal alpha 50s (and headphone rig)  i'm using Roon, Tidal, a microrendu (1.4 upgrade) and lps1 power supply...would the microrendu/lps1 still make a difference now that Roon is in the picture...or is it redundant? i just read one gent above noting people who have the MR are finding it not necessary now with Roon (i always thought the signal from ethernet/usb would always be cleaner with a MR or such...guess i'm wrong?)

many thanks for any imput.....i have to decide tomorrow if ill take a pair at US1750.

sure it's a sale, but if in the longer run proves it's a hassle with repeat pairs (returns/exhanges) needing to get it right then i'm wary of spending my hard earned money.

Maybe try find a set of xd200 at a discounted price especially if you already have a uR. 

I've not lived with the active kefs but have heard both. Dyns sound amazing. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

I have had no problems with the LS50w’s. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. It’s looks like they may have focused on the stability issues with the last firmware update. Combined with Roon they an incredible value - really hard to go wrong. The mRendu will make no difference - just use direct Ethernet. As others have suggested buy a new pair with a CC and get 2 years warranty.

12 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

I would have to say I would think long and hard about buying them again.  I probably would not.  

I could not recommend them to a friend for concern that they might have issues.

Are you getting them new for $1750?  if so use a card that doubles the warranty and keep the box.

i found a SonicTransporter and an All US Bridge to be redundant after Roon integration.

many thanks to everyone who's replied:   

btw: when i highlight things it's not to shout: just i'm not as brief as are others so just like to have main points stand out...thanks for the imput.

my kef ls50wls will be brand new from a local dealer.

...might also get extended warranty to play it safe.

also i think that i need an sonictransporter i5 because my 10 yr old laptop can't handle roon alot of times well...using an ipad mini4 as well as a router...eventually i'll upgrade my laptop but for now it's $$$.