IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

New LS50W Firmware released today 9th, Oct 2017:

Type Release Date Latest Version  Download

Firmware update 9-Oct-17

MCU v2.3.0
• Add support to swap between Left and Right speakers

Wi-Fi v1.1.4
• Add “Spotify Connect” support (compatibility varies by country)

Awesome on the ability to swap channels! 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

6 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@George Hincapiehave you considered legacy audio HD Studio monitors handemade in Springfield Illinois or the nonactive KEF LS50 

Caught my attention because I was born in Springfield :-)

Those are seriously ugly and like most studio monitors nothing like the connectivity options of the Kefs!

If I were going to get passive I'd take a close look at these;

http://us.kef.com/q350

@DarwinOSXThank you-but I just looked over quickly the comments on the Active KEF's and varied comments on sound quality the app(s) and the built in DAC etc- they sort of scared me off and the Passive KEF's seem better buy. Don't disagree with the Legacy 'old' fashioned look- ugly as you put it but I like old look plus they are hand made  in the USA. The model above the the Studios called Calibre(passive and powered) are more expensive but seem to have a better more expansive powered wireless system(by reviews I have read) and are even uglier to some eyes!

bobbmd

10 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@DarwinOSXThank you-but I just looked over quickly the comments on the Active KEF's and varied comments on sound quality the app(s) and the built in DAC etc- they sort of scared me off and the Passive KEF's seem better buy. Don't disagree with the Legacy 'old' fashioned look- ugly as you put it but I like old look plus they are hand made  in the USA. The model above the the Studios called Calibre(passive and powered) are more expensive but seem to have a better more expansive powered wireless system(by reviews I have read) and are even uglier to some eyes!

bobbmd

My main point is that they are not Kef competitors other than they are powered speakers with none of the connectivity of the Kef's.  Yes the Calibre is even uglier!

14 hours ago, camott said:

Has anyone figured out how to actually swap the channels now that the MCU supports it???

Credit to Ratbert over at Roonlabs forum but I haven't gotten mine as they are on the way.

To set Master as Left Channel,

1 In PC source press the space between source select and volume down icon 5 times
2. Press volume up icon once
3. Press A, the blinking icon will swap from C to D.
4. Press B to confirm and exit.

Repeating the above process will swap the channels back again.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-change-kef-ls50w-master-from-right-to-left/31999

quickdel.jpg

don't know if this is a good place to ask this but as my ls50w is on the way so I am looking at stands that should help as this will be my first 2ch speaker system other than the headphone setup I have.

Quick googling led me to Atacma Nexus series floor stand as linked below.

https://www.whathifi.com/atacama/nexus-6/review

and 

IsoAcoustics Aperta series for table stand.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/aperta-series/aperta/

What would one recommend and tips for choosing the "most appropriate budget" one? 

Thanks for helping an newbie in advance. :)

24 minutes ago, y26day said:

don't know if this is a good place to ask this but as my ls50w is on the way so I am looking at stands that should help as this will be my first 2ch speaker system other than the headphone setup I have.

Quick googling led me to Atacma Nexus series floor stand as linked below.

https://www.whathifi.com/atacama/nexus-6/review

and 

IsoAcoustics Aperta series for table stand.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/aperta-series/aperta/

What would one recommend and tips for choosing the "most appropriate budget" one? 

Thanks for helping an newbie in advance. :)

Sorry, you are putting them on floor stands or on a desk??

I just got these. highly recommended by everyone. skylan sp-27. http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm

I'm using the 36" version of these.  they might be too tall for some people but I like that they have sonic isolation pads built in and they look great.  It's my 3rd and I think final set of stands for these speakers :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Support-Professional-Non-marring-Decoupling/dp/B005UUAOLA/ref=sr_1_74_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1507664166&sr=8-74-spons&keywords=speaker%2Bstands&th=1

7 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

I'm using the 36" version of these.  they might be too tall for some people but I like that they have sonic isolation pads built in and they look great.  It's my 3rd and I think final set of stands for these speakers :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Support-Professional-Non-marring-Decoupling/dp/B005UUAOLA/ref=sr_1_74_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1507664166&sr=8-74-spons&keywords=speaker%2Bstands&th=1

36".. that is tall for me but thanks for the suggestion.

I've had my LS50Ws for almost two weeks now and just like my LS50s before, these are very sensitive to stand, amount and type of stand filling, what's between speaker/stand or stand/floor, even placement on the stand. My bouncy wooden floors have something to do with it, but finding the right balance takes some time. I have Custom Design LS50W three post stands.

Say NO to ROON

23 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

That is a fantastic stand, great bang for the buck too. Too bad they don't make smaller versions!

Stand.jpg

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

That is a fantastic stand, great bang for the buck too. Too bad they don't make smaller versions!

Stand.jpg

Yes I have the all black ones.  A bit tall since they are really designed for studio monitors in a studio but I'm ok with that.  I'm 6'2" so they are proportional to my height :-)

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

I've had my LS50Ws for almost two weeks now and just like my LS50s before, these are very sensitive to stand, amount and type of stand filling, what's between speaker/stand or stand/floor, even placement on the stand. My bouncy wooden floors have something to do with it, but finding the right balance takes some time. I have Custom Design LS50W three post stands.

Hi FIndingit,

would you like to describe your setup with regards to what's between speaker/stand and stand/floor, and stand filling? That would maybe put me in the right direction setting my pair up when my stands arrive. (I have a pair of five post Custom Design LS50 stands on order.)

Cheers!

On my bouncy pinewood floors and medium sized, mostly untreated room, I've found that filling the center column with Atabites was better than Custom Design's own Inert filler. I used one bucket divided in two and later added a little inert filler on top. You can easily hear when it starts to deaden the sound too much. Adds up to c. 2,5 kg per stand, not much really. And don't overtighten those screws! You can actually bend the top plate, as I did.

Between speaker and stand I have three Herbie's fat dots, three is better than four in my opinion. Two front, one back. Experimenting with different isolators here is worthwhile. I removed the original feet of course.

Under the spikes I have what looks like Herbie's spike puckies. They are old ones, he makes many different floor protectors nowadays. I've had the Herbie's products for years, they didn't suit any of my previous loudspeakers, now they are good. Herbie also makes special Fat dots for active speakers, which could be great.

Say NO to ROON

17 hours ago, FIndingit said:

On my bouncy pinewood floors and medium sized, mostly untreated room, I've found that filling the center column with Atabites was better than Custom Design's own Inert filler. I used one bucket divided in two and later added a little inert filler on top. You can easily hear when it starts to deaden the sound too much. Adds up to c. 2,5 kg per stand, not much really. And don't overtighten those screws! You can actually bend the top plate, as I did.

Between speaker and stand I have three Herbie's fat dots, three is better than four in my opinion. Two front, one back. Experimenting with different isolators here is worthwhile. I removed the original feet of course.

Under the spikes I have what looks like Herbie's spike puckies. They are old ones, he makes many different floor protectors nowadays. I've had the Herbie's products for years, they didn't suit any of my previous loudspeakers, now they are good. Herbie also makes special Fat dots for active speakers, which could be great.

Ok, thanks for the info!