IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

11 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Seems like a complex configuration. :) So this doesnt give you MQA?  How do we know if we are getting MQA sound quality? 

Yes that my issue with it.  Would love to just stream straight to the Kef's. That's why I stoped the direct connect and either use a network to usb device or Airplay over Apple TV.

16 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Hi All,

I am new to this whole high-end audio system but was blown by KEF LS50 wireless at a retail shop so i bought one recently. Been doing a lot of research to get the best out of it in terms of sound quality. Understand that heaps of people are using Tidal MQA which I will sign up for it too. But why are people using Meridian Explorer 2 (DAC?), if the ls50w has built-in DAC. Does Meridian explorer 2 gives a higher sound quality?

Currently, using usb cable from the speaker to my MC. Any other cable connection such as Toslink, high end aux cable (from mac to kef instead) to transmit better sound quality (besides using Meridian explorer 2)? Any alternative to meridian explorer 2? 

Sorry for these noob questions but appreciate your assistance. Thanks!!

My path... IMac(Win7 Bootcamp) ... USB ... LS50W.  I use the Tidal PC app, and find it better to go straight to the KEF DACs, than when tried the Meridian E2.  The Tidal app does the first part of the MQA unfolding, and the KEF DACs sound better than with the the E2 in the path.

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

My path... IMac(Win7 Bootcamp) ... USB ... LS50W.  I use the Tidal PC app, and find it better to go straight to the KEF DACs, than when tried the Meridian E2.  The Tidal app does the first part of the MQA unfolding, and the KEF DACs sound better than with the the E2 in the path.

So the KEF Dac is better than the Meridian into the KEF’s?

David

Hi all, 

I tried connecting the Synology NAS to the KEF L50W directly via the USB port, and play the music file in its DS audio apps to the USB speaker. The music can be played smoothly, but the sound quality is much worse than the one from DLNA streaming.....is there any good suggestion that can improve the sound quality in such configuration? Many thanks!!

On 9/28/2017 at 12:00 AM, Pinnacle said:

Would this cable BJC MSA-1 Miniature Stereo Audio Cable, 2 foot, 1/8 plug to 2 Male RCA  (using a jack instead of USB) provide better sound quality than the Kef PC-USB?Thanks.

Probably not. The LS50w analog inputs are converted to digital.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I am running the lumin d1 tp the rca ports using wireworld eclipse 7 silver rca and it sounds quite good.  I also have the laptop  going to a w4s recovery with a wireworld platinum  and from the recovery to the speakers usb using a curious cable.  Different sounding vs the d1 but still quite good 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Non-upgradeable DACs from mid-level-up components are issue for longevity. If no upgradable DAC, perhaps KEF will have incarnation of powered speaker with DAC which can process more types of high resolution files? If so may become interested in KEF again after my positive impressions with their KEF LS50s.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

11 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Nice product hobbled by onboard DAC. IMO DACs which are non-upgradeable in mid level and up components marketed to audio enthusiasts are destined to have shorter lives. Perhaps KEF will have an incarnation of powered speaker with DAC which can process more choices of high resolution files in future? If so I certainly will be interested in demoing it.

I would think most updates would be software based these days. 

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Non-upgradeable DACs from mid-level-up components are issue for longevity. If no upgradable DAC, perhaps KEF will have incarnation of powered speaker with DAC which can process more types of high resolution files? If so may become interested in KEF again after my positive impressions with their KEF LS50s.

Well every pro reviewer admits their listening library is something like 90%+ PCM, and mine is about 99.9%, so personally I'm less concerned about upgrading, plus their DAC is presumably selected and tuned for their amp, enclosure, drivers, etc. so I'll go with what they've got or software upgrades (assuming those don't brick the product).

Anyway I finally got to audition these things at my dealer and despite their less than optimal setup (listening via wifi connection and via BT), there's a lot to like about the sound. And to the point of the DACs, I'm hearing why so many are raving about this system. (It is a system more than a speaker, clearly.) I like the idea that I don't have to spend or use a separate DAC (since it's built into the price!). 

I'm definitely going to get a pair to audition at home because I want to hear how it sounds with my own digital front end. 

The one thing that does give me pause however is the bass. (I guess I'm hung up on this end of the frequency spectrum.) From my audition, it's almost as if the drivers are being asked to do too much. Maybe it's unfair to be comparing these to my floorstanders, but while the sound is full, it comes off a bit blurry (bass guitar notes for example, and lower registers of the piano). 

Perhaps this is the wifi connection (streaming Tidal)? It's definitely bad with BT from my iPhone, which to my taste is not even good for casual listening.

To end positively, if the bass can be sorted out, the treble details and tonal body around instruments is highly impressive. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

1 hour ago, feelingears said:

Well every pro reviewer admits their listening library is something like 90%+ PCM, and mine is about 99.9%

Every pro reviewer? That snip aside, largess of digital music file libraries are overwhelmingly mp3 or at best Redbook outside the obsessive about their gear audiophile community of which I am a guilty participant. A good part of my music library consists of DSF and 96-192 PCM files, so I have a dog in the fight for more capable onboard DACs.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Oh that's cool and yes, you would want better decoding and converting. Totally get that. 

A lot of my favorites are lossless but not as much as I'd like. I can hear the difference if I a/b and if given a choice I'd want the higher res.

HQ Player is tempting but a little too geeky for my taste (read: not user friendly, not built to serve a wider customer base). 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

9 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

What is interesting is that I’ve seen reviewers really like the sound out of the RCA ports. 

I'd love to see that. Can you post some links?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
18 hours ago, feelingears said:

Well every pro reviewer admits their listening library is something like 90%+ PCM, and mine is about 99.9%, so personally I'm less concerned about upgrading, plus their DAC is presumably selected and tuned for their amp, enclosure, drivers, etc. so I'll go with what they've got or software upgrades (assuming those don't brick the product).

Anyway I finally got to audition these things at my dealer and despite their less than optimal setup (listening via wifi connection and via BT), there's a lot to like about the sound. And to the point of the DACs, I'm hearing why so many are raving about this system. (It is a system more than a speaker, clearly.) I like the idea that I don't have to spend or use a separate DAC (since it's built into the price!). 

I'm definitely going to get a pair to audition at home because I want to hear how it sounds with my own digital front end. 

The one thing that does give me pause however is the bass. (I guess I'm hung up on this end of the frequency spectrum.) From my audition, it's almost as if the drivers are being asked to do too much. Maybe it's unfair to be comparing these to my floorstanders, but while the sound is full, it comes off a bit blurry (bass guitar notes for example, and lower registers of the piano). 

Perhaps this is the wifi connection (streaming Tidal)? It's definitely bad with BT from my iPhone, which to my taste is not even good for casual listening.

To end positively, if the bass can be sorted out, the treble details and tonal body around instruments is highly impressive. 

I recently did an A/B of various things and I thought wifi Tidal from the Kef app sounded noticeably worse than airplay to apple tv or to Allo Bridge to USB port.

That app is pretty much junk except for initial settings and it seems they have finally gotten it to at least retain those.

The poor and minimal app and firmware updates have really let this product down and are the main source of complaints.

As to bass opinions vary on that.  Some feel the need for a sub and others don't.  I don't.

If you use Roon there is about to be a direct Roon to Kef interface supported in Roon.  There is a good thread on these speakers on many subjects about them in the Roon forum.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:16 PM, DarwinOSX said:

it is a good review -- and the reviewer did say that they did a good job of converting analog inputs to digital. i was amused that he chose to use a $27k (US) turntable as the source!  unfortunately, there was no comparison of the analog inputs with the digital ones.

40 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

it is a good review -- and the reviewer did say that they did a good job of converting analog inputs to digital. i was amused that he chose to use a $27k (US) turntable as the source!  unfortunately, there was no comparison of the analog inputs with the digital ones.

There was another one I read recently where he said he actually preferred the analog to digital, I'll have to find it, there are a lot of reviews out there.

This one is good

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/kef-ls50-wireless-speaker-review-my-speaker-of-the-year-so-far/

This is the one that got me to preorder them before they were even released in the states.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/

https://www.whathifi.com/kef/ls50-wireless/review

On 9/23/2017 at 1:11 PM, George Hincapie said:

I collected the LS50W today. Have to say that so far, I am disappointed. The bass is a bit all over the place and they seem bright to me. Feeding them WAV over WIFI at the moment...making my ears hurt. Have set them up in the KEF app with distance from wall, room size etc.

Is there a trick to make these sound good?

@George Hincapie Just curious if you've found a way to get bass to sound "right" to you. DarwinOSX's provided good posts on the inputs, etc. Maybe you've heard an improvement?

I auditioned them and the top half is pretty great on my dealer's system. "Sadly" I heard detail and tonal body I don't hear in my current system. (This doesn't happen frequently for me, and I love how once your ears are opened, you learn what you've been missing!) 

The bottom end however, didn't make me smile at all. I want to hear these in my own home with my own front end before I feel like I can say I "know" the sound.

55 minutes ago, feelingears said:

@George Hincapie Just curious if you've found a way to get bass to sound "right" to you. DarwinOSX's provided good posts on the inputs, etc. Maybe you've heard an improvement?

I auditioned them and the top half is pretty great on my dealer's system. "Sadly" I heard detail and tonal body I don't hear in my current system. (This doesn't happen frequently for me, and I love how once your ears are opened, you learn what you've been missing!) 

The bottom end however, didn't make me smile at all. I want to hear these in my own home with my own front end before I feel like I can say I "know" the sound.

No. Despite help from other forum members I just couldn't position these in a place where they delivered consistant results. I took them back in the end and am still looking. Considering auditioning some PMC floor standers next.

2 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

No. Despite help from other forum members I just couldn't position these in a place where they delivered consistant results. I took them back in the end and am still looking. Considering auditioning some PMC floor standers next.

Like PMC floorstanders. Even the smaller ones are very good. Larger ones - very impressive, if you have the budget and the room size. Overall, they are a good speaker value.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi all

I thought it about time to cash in my 3 month Roon try out received with the SMS200 I’d been using before the KEF arrived. I do read through the Roon forum from time to time and noticed that someone had installed ROCK on a J1900 based PC. I have one of those doing very little so thought why not.

Installation was a breeze thanks to Roon’s great tutorial and Chris’s work here. Both helped to make things quick and painless.

Works pretty well and snappy enough for now up sampling to 24/192 into the SMS200/Kef USB.

I’ve read that people can’t hear a difference SQ wise from JRMC well that’s not my take. Roon sounds smoother, better focused to my ears through the KEF. The interface is an absolute joy to use, so slick and just all around better than anything that I’ve used up until now.

Well worth the cash I’m about to spend on the full licence IMHO.

Really impressive stuff Roon.

I thought ‘’I’m on a roll here’’ so took Kef’s kind offer of 3 months Tidal try out that came with the LS50 wireless. I live in a rural area and was not expecting tidal to work so well due to ancient telephony and just adequate broadband speed.

But no

It works just fine (at the moment).

Kid in a candy store comes to mind and with Roon’s Tidal integration just lovely to use.

Both keepers.