IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

Yep first time seeing them as well. 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Hi All

I’ve had the LS50 Actives for a few days so here are some early day’s thoughts:

The App (android), yup it’s pretty bad. It took me 8 tries to on board and set up the speakers which does not make for a good early impression. The look and feel is pretty amateur to my eyes and scrolling through my NAS based and Jriver libraries was slow.

Just plain irritating.

But it’s ok for setting up.

One of my main reasons for choosing the KEFs was its DSP capabilities which looked ideal for me as I have a pretty difficult room. My listening room is a 3.7 x 8M timber framed apex above our triple garage which by its nature is over damped. I’ve struggled to get a nice sound in that room from day one and hoped the KEFs would help a little.

SOOOOO

Now the upside.

After playing a little with positioning I have the following set up.

KEFs on original AE1 stands (60cm cast aluminium and lead filled) 1.5M from the front wall toed in a little.

KEF settings are:

Maxed out damped room, stand placement, far from wall.

I’m using Jriver23 64bit Media server with a wired network connection into the KEFs. Jriver recognises the KEFs as a zone and plays nice.

Solid and works well.

Sound

Well just gloriously huge and finely detailed with plenty of well controlled bass. Midrange is rich and lucid with just the right amount of warmth.

For those interested the little KEFs replace an SMS200/Audiolab MDAC plus/or TP Buffalo 3 into cloned DIY Avondale Audio Voyager mono’s into PMC FB1+.

The KEFs kill that set up stone dead for PRAT, Imaging, fine detail and soundstage size.

Oh the soundstage depth is also very impressive.

So anyone thinking on these. Forget the App once the speakers are set up.

Kick back and enjoy the music.

Anyone thinking of a passive route? Well I’d like to see the DAC/Amp/DSP/speakers combo that gets anywhere near these SQ wise for the price.

And lastly a big thanks to you guys for all of your posts that allowed an eyes open purchase for me.

‘’Have you tried them with Roon.’’

No not yet but with Roon integration coming up it’s a good time to think on it.

I really hope that you enjoy your purchase from Sevenoaks.

Play with the settings as they really do make a difference and put them on some nice heavy stands if you have space. I’ve also tried the Kef on desk top with Isoacoustic stands but that combo looses a little air and space to my ears.

The KEF’s have brought be back to the beginning of my audio journey before compulsive box swapping kicked in to spoil things.

Back to the music.

As I and others have mentioned the App is Rubbish. But a little patience will bring rewards sound wise so stick with it and let us know how you get on.

Have a nice Monday J

Instead of the app, I just go USB out to the speaker and control jriver with jremote. Sounds wonderful. I also threw on a w4s recovery and curious short cable.  Main cable is a wireworld platinum USB. 

I agree the app for for me is glitchy and still not ready for prime time. I have not done the speaker firmware update. A few people has issues loading the speaker firmware update so I have been afraid to load it.  Yours since they are new might already have that firmware.  

I swtch off between jriver /laptop and a Lumin D1. The lumin app is rock solid and full MQA on Tidal.  

My story is I got married a few years ago. She had kids and my house did not have enough bedrooms so I converted my music room (26x32  feet) into bedrooms and moved my rig into a 10x11 foot room that has a 6 foot bass suckout cut into the wall that has bookshelves.   I sold off my Carver Amazing, Legacy Focus and Polk SDA 1.2 and proceeded to try many different speakers from Micro Acoustic Mmmicroone on down. Nothing sounded right or even passable.  I tried different amps. Preamps, and while the sound would change, it still did not sound right in this room.  

Enter the Kef LS50W,  took them home on a weekend trial and after the struggling with the app to tweek the dsp for my liking, adding my old recapped velodyne spl1200 ( original series) I actually sat down and enjoyed the music and wasn't picking the sound apart anymore! They have been here since.  I added the Kef stands, Cullen Power cables to both speakers, sold off my McIntosh mc402, Joule Electra LAP 150A preamp, acoustic Zen double barrel, and the rest of the leftover speakers and have been very happy with the sound since. On top of putting several thousand dolors in the bank from the sales of the equipment, they look fantastic in this smaller room.  

But ya.  The app does stink.  

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

I almost forgot to mention, I also with the app let's you swap left and right. Not everyone has their electronics on the right! Many have the rest of their gear on the left.  I know many have it center also but unless you have it on a credenza, wires will need to show. 

15 minutes ago, erniejade said:

I almost forgot to mention, I also with the app let's you swap left and right. Not everyone has their electronics on the right! Many have the rest of their gear on the left.  I know many have it center also but unless you have it on a credenza, wires will need to show. 

I just received brand new replacement speakers and they did not have the May firmware update.  I've done several firmware updates including to these with no issues.

1 hour ago, Fridolin said:

Doesn't anyone miss a volume button and source switching with the remote app?

Would't that be the minimal the comfort functions?

The tiny hardware remote also doesn't do very well for me.

Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.

Come on KEF, that can't be so hard to do!

I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote with these speakers which works much better.  

Piano is simply amazing. My wife actually sings opera and she loves them. 

Hi Ernie.

I’m using Jremote/Jriver DNLA server/wired network connection/Kef which also works well.

When set up that way JRMC finds the Speakers as a renderer and plays really well. Simple and good enough not to miss my SMS200 much so another box less in my room.

Maybe worth a try.

Bad App hell yes

But let’s be glass half full and give some credit where due.

The sound is shockingly good.

I found the DSP setting to be a really useful tool in overcoming my room’s limitations a little.

That really does make the APP downside much more bearable for me and I’m sure that it will mature over time.

Wires do show but nothing like the creaking rack of Turntable, Paradise phono Pre-pre/DC1B pre/ DAC blah blah blah that I had before.

FW nooooo not until the dust settles a little more.

BTW at least one company in the UK is offering a 5 year guarantee with these speakers. No names and no connection with said company but worth looking around.

Hi Darwin

FW updates done with Mac or Windows? I’ve read that the windows updater has caused some issues in the past.

The harmony remote looks like the way to go and on my list.

I collected the LS50W today. Have to say that so far, I am disappointed. The bass is a bit all over the place and they seem bright to me. Feeding them WAV over WIFI at the moment...making my ears hurt. Have set them up in the KEF app with distance from wall, room size etc.

No where near as good as my NVA Cube 2s at the moment.

Is there a trick to make these sound good?

Just now, George Hincapie said:

I collected the LS50W today. Have to say that so far, I am disappointed. The bass is a bit all over the place and they seem bright to me. Feeding them WAV over WIFI at the moment...making my ears hurt. Have set them up in the KEF app with distance from wall, room size etc.

No where near as good as my NVA Cube 2s at the moment.

Is there a trick to make these sound good?

Hmm.  When you say over wifi do you mean the Kef app?  I found playing playing over wifi using the Def app doesn't sound as good as USB or optical.

One of the many reasons I don't use the Kef app is it doesn't sound as good to me as many other methods.  It seems to almost vibrate the sound.

It seems very few people use the app which is a real indictment of the poor effort Kef has put into it.

I play FLAC from my Synology NAS via Roon on my Mac which is connected to my network by wifi to optical and usb on the Kef's and it sounds much better than the app to me.

In the app, go to the advanced setting. You can asjust the bass and treble  also adjusted the walll distance settings.