Computer Audiophile
bunno77

Active Kef LS50

Rate this topic

firedog   

That sounds like a really interesting device - especially as they anticipated people mating it with sub(s) and included digital crossovers and DSP. I bet a pair of those with some good sub(s ) would give some very high end speakers a run for their money for a fraction of the cost.

wisnon   
That sounds like a really interesting device - especially as they anticipated people mating it with sub(s) and included digital crossovers and DSP. I bet a pair of those with some good sub(s ) would give some very high end speakers a run for their money for a fraction of the cost.

Would love to compare against the Devialet Phantom GOLD.

Agreed. I also noticed that the control app had options for mono, stereo and multichannel! Anyway, they sounded very nice under far from idea conditions when I heard them in Dallas.

Em2016   

Amazing stuff. The Darko article says Cat6 ethernet connects the two speakers but another site they talk to each other wirelessly. I'm trying to dig the web for clarification.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

jcn3   
Amazing stuff. The Darko article says Cat6 ethernet connects the two speakers but another site they talk to each other wirelessly. I'm trying to dig the web for clarification.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

there's an ethernet cable between the two speakers.

Bryan   

I owned a pair of passive LS50's. I badgered KEF for a powered set. I guess they got enough requests to consider it? Or maybe they would have done it anyway? The extras KEF added to these new wireless powered LS50's is icing on the cake, with one caveat, for me anyway. Half my music files are DSD. Would be doing backflips if KEF had incorporated a DSD capable DAC in these Wireless LS50's. Alas..

Ralf11   

So, KEF is a highly regarded co.; in business for many years and you get a 30 day return privilege

wireless speakers with their own amp allow the speaker designer to design the amp to fit the speaker, and you automatically have a sep. amp for each speaker

I don't see how you can lose - unless there is something much better out there for < $2200

So, KEF is a highly regarded co.; in business for many years and you get a 30 day return privilege

wireless speakers with their own amp allow the speaker designer to design the amp to fit the speaker, and you automatically have a sep. amp for each speaker

I don't see how you can lose - unless there is something much better out there for < $2200

I am curious as to the DAC they will use internally, chord is not to far from them and they use the Mojo at some of their demos. It is small and I'll bet the dac board would fit perfectly inside a speaker

Abtr   
I am curious as to the DAC they will use internally, chord is not to far from them and they use the Mojo at some of their demos. It is small and I'll bet the dac board would fit perfectly inside a speaker

Some may argue that it's not a good idea to build a DAC inside a speaker because of vibrations.. :eek:

Some may argue that it's not a good idea to build a DAC inside a speaker because of vibrations.. :eek:[/QUOTI

It seems more and more active speakers are going that route. I prefer active speakers with no dac. You can keep a good speaker for years but dacs get outdated more quickly.