IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

looking for a good, short, DC cable to use between my LPS-1 and Regen found this one

not totally sure, though, "PowerPak Pro 2.1mm C+" jack only means "5.5x2.1 Center positive" or if it's a different kind of jack that will not work :-/

C+ means center positive on Russ Andrews DC cables. They are also possible to order with center negative (C-) so make sure you get the right one that suits both the LPS-1 and the Regen which is 2,1mm (2,1/5.5) C+ on both ends of the DC cable.

🎛️  Audio System  

I am expecting to receive an LPS-1 soon, but wouldn't you know it, my DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit) is on the fritz. Fortunately, I have a backup DAC (Meridian Explorer2). My original plan was to power my Regen with the LPS-1, but now I wonder whether it would be better to power the Meridian DAC with the LPS-1. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? And before I start experimenting, any risk of damaging the Meridian DAC by powering it with the LPS-1? Thanks in advance.

I am expecting to receive an LPS-1 soon, but wouldn't you know it, my DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit) is on the fritz. Fortunately, I have a backup DAC (Meridian Explorer2). My original plan was to power my Regen with the LPS-1, but now I wonder whether it would be better to power the Meridian DAC with the LPS-1. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? And before I start experimenting, any risk of damaging the Meridian DAC by powering it with the LPS-1? Thanks in advance.

The Explorer 2 gets its power from the USB connection, so power the Regen with the LPS-1, and let the Regen provide power to the Explorer 2. It is the simplest setup, and from my experience, probably the best sounding one.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

The Explorer 2 gets its power from the USB connection, so power the Regen with the LPS-1, and let the Regen provide power to the Explorer 2. It is the simplest setup, and from my experience, probably the best sounding one.

Thanks; that's simple enough. BTW, the reason I didn't know this already is that I bought the Explorer 2 on the promise of "imminent" release of MQA streaming at TIDAL. That has yet to transpire, and I've not even taken the Explorer 2 out of its box!

Isn't it that Regen would get too hot, and the power supply would be too weak to handle DAC ?

Isn't it that Regen would get too hot, and the power supply would be too weak to handle DAC ?

It will be fine powering the Explorer 2 - that is what the Regen was designed to do. From the UpTone website: "The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator."

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

looking for a good, short, DC cable to use between my LPS-1 and Regen found this one

not totally sure, though, "PowerPak Pro 2.1mm C+" jack only means "5.5x2.1 Center positive" or if it's a different kind of jack that will not work :-/

I ordered that exact cable with 2.1mm C+ jack to feed my Regen from the LPS-1. Worked like a charm. For me I plugged the "kimber kable" end into the LPS-1 and the other end into the Regen. It didn't seem to be as snug a fit the other way around (YMMV).

In reply to: suggestions for cable from lps-1 to Regen:

What do you want to improve compared to the cable that is included with the lps-1? You might consider the dc-4 but I am not sure about its sonic benefits yet (for that price), bought it anyway.

For me I wanted an affordable shorter cable-- 50mm vs the standard 70mm that came with the LPS-1. I also wanted a cable without all of the coil memory that came with the stock LPS-1 cable. The Powerpak Pro link works very well to accomplish both goals.

As for SQ improvements, quite frankly I'm not sure it made a difference one way or the other. Perhaps there was a slight improvement in upper frequency response, but I haven't bothered to do a proper A-B test. Either way for my purposes I'm satisfied.

The difference between stock PSU and LPS-1 powered Recovery, with Apple Powerbook as a source, was big when I tried. Much bigger than between a Chord Hugo and Chord Mojo, and brought the quality very near a LPS-1 powered microRendu (in my opinion).

I find this is really surprising – and very interesting too. And I wonder if the same or more could be achieved with an LPS-1 powered Regen or ifi micro iUSB 3.0? It would be nice if those who tried Regen/Recovery/micro iUSB 3.0 in conjunction with LPS-1 would share their experience.

Best regards

Stefan

I find this is really surprising – and very interesting too. And I wonder if the same or more could be achieved with an LPS-1 powered Regen or ifi micro iUSB 3.0? It would be nice if those who tried Regen/Recovery/micro iUSB 3.0 in conjunction with LPS-1 would share their experience.

Best regards

Stefan

The microRendu gives an almost jitter free signal when powered with a clean power source. In my experience microRendu fed with 6 AA NiMh batteries easily out performs Aries Mini with SBooster. I'll order the LPS-1 soon.

The signal from other sources usually is more jittery. W4S remedy is said to reduce jitter effectively. Aided by LPS-1 it will probably be even more effective. But it might be better not to have to clean the signal.

Is there likely to be any benefit from using a Jitterbug between mRendu and DAC?

Nope, absolutely none. Especially not if using a LPS-1. Jitterbugs should be used in low/mid end setups, if at all.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Nope, absolutely none. Especially not if using a LPS-1. Jitterbugs should be used in low/mid end setups, if at all.

Thanks. I've got a Jitterbug lying about somewhere, which I got for use with my iMac, so I'll only use it with that computer and any laptop I might end up buying. But what about the Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator, which I've ordered as a cheap gadget to play around with, again mainly with the computer?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

Adding a Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator after a LPS-1 driven microRendu will add absolutely nothing. Could possibly decrease SQ by increasing USB transmission impedance between mR and dac.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Wouldn't be so sure. Have you tried ? The ability of signal transportation in usb cabel without 5V next to it, might be better. Super quality power supply has nothing to do with it. Am I wrong folks ?

My DAC don't need power supply from USB (we have the same DAC models Freann :) ) and I did put Vbus2 after Regen - before USB cable. So the change was only to eliminate 5V not at the input of my DAC, but at the output of Regen, and it made a significant difference in SQ.

Wouldn't be so sure. Have you tried ? The ability of signal transportation in usb cabel without 5V next to it, might be better. Super quality power supply has nothing to do with it. Am I wrong folks ?

My DAC don't need power supply from USB (we have the same DAC models Freann :) ) and I did put Vbus2 after Regen - before USB cable. So the change was only to eliminate 5V not at the input of my DAC, but at the output of Regen, and it made a significant difference in SQ.

+1 Vbus2 isolator just blocks the 5v of your boutique USB cable and have nothing to do about LPS-1 powering the mR.

However, I have noticed one perculiar thing which I really cannot explain. I usually thought that Vbus2 improved on my 2-wire (data only) unshielded USB cables as well. But since I switched to unshielded AC cables connected to a unfiltered star wired strip it actually sounds better without the Vbus2 for the first time ever. I guess that have to do something about the Vbus2 being shielded...but I would lie if I said I knew the answer to that question. All I know for now is that a unshielded AC connection with unshielded USB cables (without 5v and GND lift) sounds better without it....and shielded AC cables sounds better with Vbus2 (shielded). Go figure!

🎛️  Audio System  

From Sbooster website:

- The Sbooster Vbus Isolator disconnects the Vbus power from the USB-port and prevents polluted Vbus power to enter your self-powered USB DAC

- radiation of noise into the data.

Since you have none of the above (with LPS-1 + mR) the Vbus is redundant. So it is very much tied to power quality. But hey, go ahead and try it...

From Sbooster website:

- The Sbooster Vbus Isolator disconnects the Vbus power from the USB-port and prevents polluted Vbus power to enter your self-powered USB DAC

- radiation of noise into the data.

Since you have none of the above (with LPS-1 + mR) the Vbus is redundant. So it is very much tied to power quality. But hey, go ahead and try it...

That is the truth with some modification. No USB power is better than cleanest possible USB power. It all depends on your DAC:

*If you have a DAC that does´nt need the 5v power you are better off with a Vbus2 and let the LPS-1 care about powering the mR and isolating mR from the mains...but you are even better off using unshielded 3-wire USB cables with a GND lift IMO.

*If you have a DAC that requires 5v power you are better off without Vbus2 (ie. it would´nt work anyway) and let the LPS-1 provide clean USB power to the DAC (via mR) and the isolating mR from the mains...but you are even better off using a LPS-1 powering the mR, using a Vbus2 for 5v block on your USB cable (or better a 3-wire USB cable with 5v power supply wire and GND lift)and let another LPS-1 inject clean power into the input of your DAC.

🎛️  Audio System  

That is the truth with some modification. No USB power is better than cleanest possible USB power. It all depends on your DAC:

...but you are even better off using a LPS-1 powering the mR, using a Vbus2 for 5v block on your USB cable and let another LPS-1 inject clean power into the input of your DAC.

In that case a Y-split should be sufficient. Save you $400 for a second LPS-1.

But is this something you have tested? Hard to imagine the MicroRendu 5 V to be different from the LPS-1, if powered from a LPS-1

In that case a Y-split should be sufficient. Save you $400 for a second LPS-1.

But is this something you have tested? Hard to imagine the MicroRendu 5 V to be different from the LPS-1, if powered from a LPS-1

Yes, a Y-split cable from a LPS-1 could possibly do the trick if you make sure it have enough power for mR and DACs USB input. Just make sure that this approach is recommended or not.

Nothing I have tried..but anything that can remove the 5v & GND in the USB cable between the mR and DAC should be beneficial to SQ.

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is my recommendations for microRendu, LPS-1 and DACs.

If your DAC is VBUS powered only (ie no external power jack), plug it into the microRendu USB jack and power the microRendu from the LPS-1. Use a good short USB cable or a good solid adapter. There is no reason for cutting grounds etc in this configuration, cutting the ground blocks leakage currents, with the LPS-1 you don't have any so it is unnecessary. I have designed a really nice solid adapter that will work great for this, but Alex hasn't started making them yet, too busy with the LPS-1.

If the DAC has an external power port, and will run at 7V and takes 1/2A or less, you CAN use a Y cable from an LPS-1 to drive both the microRendu and the DAC. This is the way I have my setup and it works VERY well.

It is certainly possible to use a separate LPS-1 for both the microRendu AND the DAC, It MAY sound better than a single driving both, but I cannot guarantee that, it is going to be very system dependent. It should not sound worse, but it may not be any better, or it may be a big improvement, hard to tell.

Using a USB power injector to feed power into a VBUS only powered DAC, should not be necessary if you have a good short USB cable.

Whatever you do, do not use a USB power injector with something other than an LPS-1 if you are using an LPS-1 to power the microRendu. This will nullify some of the advantages of using the LPS-1 with the microRendu. Put another way, IF you have a DAC that can be powered from an LPS-1, power it from either its own LPS-1, or the same one that is powering the microRendu IF the DAC current is low enough to allow that.

If your DAC has it's own built in AC supply obviously you cannot power it from an LPS-1, in this case still power the microRendu from the LPS-1, it will still be a large improvement, but not quite as much as you would get if the DAC was powered off an LPS-1 as well.

John S.

If the DAC has an external power port, and will run at 7V and takes 1/2A or less, you CAN use a Y cable from an LPS-1 to drive both the microRendu and the DAC. This is the way I have my setup and it works VERY well.

Seeing how little current is drawn by the microRendu--when it is not in turn powering a VBUS-powered DAC (see photo of the mR drawing just 0.16A), I'd say folks will be able to use a "Y" cable to power a DAC using up to about 0.8A (800mA) without any problem.

I test every LPS-1 board to 1.1A. Some make it to 1.15A, some to just 1.10A. Anything under that and we re-flash them with software to bring their "trigger-point" up.

By the way, someone just wrote to me that they are happily powering both the microRendu and an FMC from a single LPS-1.

Oh, I have to run. Am mailing off LPS-1 units to the chief engineer of MBL in Germany, and to the Netherlands reviewer Hans Beekhuyzen.

Work is proceeding a bit slow today as one channel of the electronic DC load machine I use for testing and sorting LPS-1s just died. One board at a time now...

Have a nice weekend everyone. LPS-1 should be showing up for many more folks today (or next week or so for those overseas) as we finished shipping off all the November 18th-promsed units--two days ahead of schedule.

All you December 9th people are coming up, and I think we will be a little ahead with those too. :)

I just forgot, the MicroRendu is 7 V, so feeding a USB device requesting 5 V, may not be a good idea, unless you know that the regulators inside can accept 7 V.

By the way, I found the LPS-1 being quite powerful. I'm feeding 4 items with it :)

Edit:

Did not see others had replied before me.

Here is my recommendations for microRendu, LPS-1 and DACs.

If your DAC is VBUS powered only (ie no external power jack), plug it into the microRendu USB jack and power the microRendu from the LPS-1. Use a good short USB cable or a good solid adapter. There is no reason for cutting grounds etc in this configuration, cutting the ground blocks leakage currents, with the LPS-1 you don't have any so it is unnecessary. I have designed a really nice solid adapter that will work great for this, but Alex hasn't started making them yet, too busy with the LPS-1.

It is certainly possible to use a separate LPS-1 for both the microRendu AND the DAC, It MAY sound better than a single driving both, but I cannot guarantee that, it is going to be very system dependent. It should not sound worse, but it may not be any better, or it may be a big improvement, hard to tell.

Using a USB power injector to feed power into a VBUS only powered DAC, should not be necessary if you have a good short USB cable.

Whatever you do, do not use a USB power injector with something other than an LPS-1 if you are using an LPS-1 to power the microRendu. This will nullify some of the advantages of using the LPS-1 with the microRendu. Put another way, IF you have a DAC that can be powered from an LPS-1, power it from either its own LPS-1, or the same one that is powering the microRendu IF the DAC current is low enough to allow that.

If your DAC has it's own built in AC supply obviously you cannot power it from an LPS-1, in this case still power the microRendu from the LPS-1, it will still be a large improvement, but not quite as much as you would get if the DAC was powered off an LPS-1 as well.

John S.

I take it the same would apply to Regen/DAC?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)