IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

19 minutes ago, paulpaul said:

The clock is for my mobo. I always want to have a better power supply for the clock.

Yes, I understood.  But what sort of clock draws 1.6 amps at 5V?  Is that really the current draw or are you just reading it from a spec sheet of sorts.  Please post about the OCXO clock you are using.  I suspect it draws much less than 1.6A.

19 minutes ago, paulpaul said:

Will u design another LPS-X with larger output current?

This has be discussed and explained elsewhere a number of times:  More current requires more and large ultracaps, regulators with heat sinks. larger case, etc.  Gets much more expensive very quickly.  We may offer a really big supply (4 outputs, 10A), but it would end up in the $3K range.  May consider something priced in between, but we have a lot of projects on our plate this year.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

1.6A at 5V? How how does that oven clock get?! (is there room in that oven for microscopic loaves of bread? xD)

If you 100% certain that the clock really draws that much current, then no, the UltraCap LPS-1 maxes out at between 1.1A-1.2A (we guarantee them to 1.1A, but many test on my bench to 1.15-1.18A) and would not be appropriate.

Have you ever put an ammeter in line with your clock battery supply?  I really would be shocked if it drew anywhere near 1.6A/5V.

That is actually quite common for OCXOs. The oven always takes more current when it is warming up than when it is up to temp and stabilized. Each OCXO has a different point between startup current draw and how long it takes to stabilize. After the oven warms up the current goes way down.

An OCXO with 1.6A at 5V will probably stabilize in a couple of minutes. A clock that takes 0.6A at startup might take 5-8 minutes. 

One possible solution is to have a DPDT switch and use a "regular" high current supply to swarm up the oven, then switch to the LPS-1 when the current goes down. It could be done with a relay and some form current sensor to switch the relay.

John S.

21 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

One possible solution is to have a DPDT switch and use a "regular" high current supply to swarm up the oven, then switch to the LPS-1 when the current goes down. It could be done with a relay and some form current sensor to switch the relay.

If not mistaken, I believe (the late) Allen Wright did this with his Terra Firma & Uber clocks in CD/SACD players.  There was a switch you kept up at startup for a timer period (forget) then you could switch it down.   

On 24/5/2017 at 1:15 AM, Superdad said:

Yes, I understood.  But what sort of clock draws 1.6 amps at 5V?  Is that really the current draw or are you just reading it from a spec sheet of sorts.  Please post about the OCXO clock you are using.  I suspect it draws much less than 1.6A.

This has be discussed and explained elsewhere a number of times:  More current requires more and large ultracaps, regulators with heat sinks. larger case, etc.  Gets much more expensive very quickly.  We may offer a really big supply (4 outputs, 10A), but it would end up in the $3K range.  May consider something priced in between, but we have a lot of projects on our plate this year.

I tried to find the model but the clock surface stuck to the case. Anyway I can buy one PS-1 and try, If it cannot fit the clock power, I can use it for my uptone regen. I am currently using a lithium for my uptone regen. Will the PS-1 be better in SQ?

22 hours ago, paulpaul said:

I tried to find the model but the clock surface stuck to the case. Anyway I can buy one PS-1 and try, If it cannot fit the clock power, I can use it for my uptone regen. I am currently using a lithium for my uptone regen. Will the PS-1 be better in SQ?

Sorry for the typo LPS-1.

14 minutes ago, paulpaul said:

Just ordered 1xLPS-1 yesterday. My clock module (not the clock) requires only 0.088A. I am planning to use LPS-1 to power both the clock module and Uptone Regen.

Well that will be a REALLY easy load for the LPS-1! :D

Thanks for your order.  Will ship by this Friday.

--Alex C.

Hi Alex

If I use a Y splitter DC cable, will I be able to use a LPS 1 to power both a:

1. W4S Recovery with a power supply of 9V 1A

2. iFi SPDIF iPurifier  with a power supply of 5V 500mA

I am currently powering them respectively with 9V 1.5A and 5V iPower's respectively.

Also, I have seen DC splitter cables with multiple outputs for CCTV use.

https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Camera/dp/B00SMCHP24

How many low current components can I safely power with a LPS 1?

PS. On closer look, these splitter cables are one female to multiple male plugs. Does the female plug fit the LPS 1's output?

12 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

Hi Alex

If I use a Y splitter DC cable, will I be able to use a LPS 1 to power both a:

1. W4S Recovery with a power supply of 9V 1A

2. iFi SPDIF iPurifier  with a power supply of 5V 500mA

The UltraCap LPS-1 has only one output, and while you can use a 'Y' splitter the voltage to each device will be the same (switch selectable 3.3V, 5V, 7V).  So while the W4S Recovery has proven to be quite happy at 7V, at 5V the Recovery would then be unable to provide VBUS power if needed.  And I will not claim to know if the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier can be safely fed 7V.

As to total number of devices powered simultaneously, that will depend on the combined total current drawn.  The LPS-1 is guaranteed to delivery up to a continuos 1.1A at any of its voltage settings.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

Thinking about getting the LPS-1 in addition to the ISO Regen.  Curious if there is any benefit to powering the LPS-1 via an HD-Plex instead of the mean-well power supply. I believe I read someone else had already done this, but I cannot find the post now.  I'm thinking it cannot hurt, was just looking to see if anyone already did it, and what the result was?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

2 hours ago, No Disc said:

Thinking about getting the LPS-1 in addition to the ISO Regen.  Curious if there is any benefit to powering the LPS-1 via an HD-Plex instead of the mean-well power supply. I believe I read someone else had already done this, but I cannot find the post now.  I'm thinking it cannot hurt, was just looking to see if anyone already did it, and what the result was?

Alex has said many times that the energized for the lps-1 doesn't impact sound. It certainly can't hurt but most likely won't help.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
9 hours ago, No Disc said:

Just be sure that the supply can handle the current as listed on the LPS-1 product page. The energizing current is fixed, it is the same no matter what the output current is. So even if your load is small the "feeder" supply needs to be able to handle the current listed on the product page.

Many people have had plugged in their supplies that were supposed to be able to work and found out that their voltage dropped dramatically when feeding the LPS-1, in other words their spec was way over inflated from what the device could really deliver.

John S.

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Many people have had plugged in their supplies that were supposed to be able to work and found out that their voltage dropped dramatically when feeding the LPS-1, in other words their spec was way over inflated from what the device could really deliver.

That said, the HDPlex--unlike some of the under $100 Chinese LPS units--seems to perform to its rated output current specifications.  If given the choice of outputs from it (I know most HDPlex units have four), I'd suggest energizing the UltraCap LPS-1 with 12V (1.5A min.) as that will be the lowest load on your HDPlex.

12 hours ago, No Disc said:

I'm powering the LPS-1 with an HDplex from its 9v out. Works fine. Have used both 12v and 9v - both work.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

That said, the HDPlex--unlike some of the under $100 Chinese LPS units--seems to perform to its rated output current specifications.  If given the choice of outputs from it (I know most HDPlex units have four), I'd suggest energizing the UltraCap LPS-1 with 12V (1.5A min.) as that will be the lowest load on your HDPlex.

Okay, I have an HD Plex 200W LPS. I am currently using the 12V output to power the MMK/MAC MINI. My intention was to power the LPS-1 using the adjustable rail. Since that rail is adjustable, is there a reason to set that to 12V instead of 7.5V? 

mWJCUK.jpg
p5grb6.jpg

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

2 hours ago, No Disc said:

Okay, I have an HD Plex 200W LPS. I am currently using the 12V output to power the MMK/MAC MINI. My intention was to power the LPS-1 using the adjustable rail. Since that rail is adjustable, is there a reason to set that to 12V instead of 7.5V? 

mWJCUK.jpg
p5grb6.jpg

As Alex wrote above, using 12v out will put less of a load on the HDPlex and it'll work fine with the lps-1. Seems like the thing to do.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I understood what Alex wrote, I was looking for clarification as to why 12V would be less load than 7.5V?   Perhaps I don't really understand how LPS function. 

1 minute ago, No Disc said:

I understood what Alex wrote, I was looking for clarification as to why 12V would be less load than 7.5V?   Perhaps I don't really understand how LPS function. 

Higher the voltage, less current draw.  This is an electric law not an LPS-1 law.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Higher the voltage, less current draw.  This is an electric law not an LPS-1 law.  

... within recommended voltage range. otherwise higher the voltage... just more smoke xD

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I didn't know that, okay, now it makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification. 

9 hours ago, No Disc said:

The LPS-1 input is a switching regulator, this pulls a constant POWER. Thus if you use a higher voltage you need less current, lower voltage, higher current. Most linear supplies don't work this way, if the output takes an amp the input takes an amp. Thus for a linear supply feeding an LPS-1 you want to draw as least amount of current as possible, this happens at 12V, that is the lowest current from the feeder supply.

The maximum input voltage is 12V, so DON'T use the variable output set to higher than 12V.

John S.

On 2016-10-20 at 3:33 AM, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

Hi John,

I use the LPS-1 to power the microRendu that means its powered by a clean DC.  Whenever I touched the microRendu, I feel sort of statics, feels like micro-vibrations.  Is it normal?