IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Hi: This does not make sense to me since not only do both the LPS-1 and the microRendu us the same size jack (5.5mm x 2.1mm), I believe they use the exact same part number from the same manufacturer!

To conclude... The iFi DC plug is a bit longer than the plugs on the LPS-1 supplied DC cable. The other iFi plugs do not fit. On double checking the iFi/microRendu connection, it too doesn't seat flush, but not so obvious...correction to my earlier comment. The iFi/LPS-1 connection seems OK even tho it stands proud a bit. Just my paranoia!...It's not loose, so I'm fine with it and throughly enjoying the LPS-1/uR combination.

A worthwhile difference and a mandatory upgrade !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, is the standard power cable that comes with the LPS-1 shielded?

I know it's nothing fancy and cheap but is it at least shielded? If so, that will be fine for me.

If not, is the Sonore DC-4 Cardas built power cable shielded?

Sorry to ask, but search results on the new forum site haven't been working for me today.

Cheers !

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi guys, is the standard power cable that comes with the LPS-1 shielded?

I know it's nothing fancy and cheap but is it at least shielded? If so, that will be fine for me.

If not, is the Sonore DC-4 Cardas built power cable shielded?

Sorry to ask, but search results on the new forum site haven't been working for me today.

Cheers !

Yes it is shielded.

John S.

• 5 weeks later...

Alex and John (and others). Looking to purchase the LPS-1 from your website, to "feed" my Sonore microRendu. A couple of questions:

1 - If I order it today, will it be shipped by April 27? From California?

2 - I currently have the iFi iPower power supply - 9VDC for my uRendu (the one that comes from Sonore bundled with uRendu). Would it work as a wall wart  / power supply for the LPS-1?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, thyname said:

2 - I currently have the iFi iPower power supply - 9VDC for my uRendu (the one that comes from Sonore bundled with uRendu). Would it work as a wall wart  / power supply for the LPS-1?

Yes, still I suggest you spend those $15 on the Meanwell. 

The ifi will sell for more than $15 ?

Why not just order order asap to be sure there is any available. 

In worst case you can regret, if you don't like to wait. 

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Yes, still I suggest you spend those $15 on the Meanwell. 

The ifi will sell for more than $15 ?

Why not just order order asap to be sure there is any available. 

In worst case you can regret, if you don't like to wait. 

Oh boy.. you are everywhere :D

I hate selling stuff (posting, shipping, etc.) and thought I'd use what I have. Not so much for the money, but for convenience.

15 minutes ago, thyname said:

I hate selling stuff (posting, shipping, etc.) and thought I'd use what I have. Not so much for the money, but for convenience.

Then just order without the Meanwell. You may verify that your iFi is the 2A version. But I think all that was shipped with the MicroRendu was. 

So have you order by now ?

3 hours ago, thyname said:

Alex and John (and others). Looking to purchase the LPS-1 from your website, to "feed" my Sonore microRendu. A couple of questions:

1 - If I order it today, will it be shipped by April 27? From California?

Yes, the LPS-1 is in stock and Thursday the 27th will be the last shipping day until after my vacation.  Orders placed after 10:00 a.m. on the 27th will not ship until May 11th.

3 hours ago, thyname said:

Yes, as long as it is the 2-amp version.  But frankly we have had a few people whose iFi iPowers have struggled then failed with the LPS-1, so for $15 difference I really recommend you get it with the big, reliable 2.93A/22W Mean Well tabletop unit we offer.

As as explained extensively elsewhere, the quality of the output of the LPS-1 is not affected whatsoever by the "energizing"/charging supply it is fed with.

My LPS-1 that powers my microRendu runs pretty hot. Any suggestions for a specific heat sink?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Hi Alex:

I guess you would know, but it gets a little uncomfortable to hold. We're also moving into the summer here in the high desert without air conditioning so I wouldn't mind spending a few $ just to be safe. O.o  

Bob

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

16 minutes ago, rah50 said:

Hi Alex:

I guess you would know, but it gets a little uncomfortable to hold. We're also moving into the summer here in the high desert without air conditioning so I wouldn't mind spending a few $ just to be safe. O.o  

Bob

Sure Bob.  You can go to http://www.heatsinkusa.com and pick out the perfect size.  Their prices are extremely reasonable.  Or you could get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Aluminum-Radiator-Heat-Heatsink/dp/B00RE6KB3Y

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-Aluminium-Diffuser-Heatsink-120x100x18mm/dp/B01B6DLG3O

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Then don't hold it. That's what shelves are for. :D

Sorry - just couldn't resist!

I have an intimate relationship with my equipment, doesn't everyone?

Thanks Alex!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Isflicka said:

Is it possible to connect my two LPS-1's for 12 volts

Yes it works very well. You will have to make a reverse Y cable that puts the two outputs in series. Using the techniques in the DIY DC cable thread this is not hard to do.

You set one LPS-1 for 5V and the other to 7V.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nepherte said:

In eager anticipation of the UltraCap™ LPS-1. Ordered the unit via Martin (vortexbox.co.uk). Will be used to power the microRendu which I'm taking over from a friend. Can't wait to report back on the sonic improvements. Cheers!

By all accounts you will be delighted.  :D

Really glad to have Martin at VortexBox UK representing us there.  Mark Welsh at Item Audio has also been a stockist (as you British like to call dealers).  

And down in Australia we have John Daly with Sublime Audio Pty.

I guess it is a testament to the compelling performance of our products, and their synergy with other brands (microRendu, sMS-200, and LANrover to name off the top) that these dealers are willing to stock, promote, and support UpTone without the usual dealer margins. Normally importers work off 30-60% discounts, but with our direct-sale pricing model, all we have been able to offer them for their dozen-at-a-time orders is 15% off and free freight.  That's really just a token.  So nobody should be asking these dealers for a discount! 9_9

21 hours ago, Superdad said:

By all accounts you will be delighted.  :D

Really glad to have Martin at VortexBox UK representing us there.  Mark Welsh at Item Audio has also been a stockist (as you British like to call dealers).  

And down in Australia we have John Daly with Sublime Audio Pty.

I guess it is a testament to the compelling performance of our products, and their synergy with other brands (microRendu, sMS-200, and LANrover to name off the top) that these dealers are willing to stock, promote, and support UpTone without the usual dealer margins. Normally importers work off 30-60% discounts, but with our direct-sale pricing model, all we have been able to offer them for their dozen-at-a-time orders is 15% off and free freight.  That's really just a token.  So nobody should be asking these dealers for a discount! 9_9

Smooth :) The microRendu +Ifi 9V/2A will arrive first. That and the (now broken) Sonicorbiter SE + Ifi 5V/2.5A will be my reference points. So far, Martin seems to be a very professional guy who knows his stuff. I've had a small VAT mix up which he diplomatically pointed out to me.

PS I'm Belgian so I take 'dealer' any time over 'stockist' :P

1 hour ago, paulpaul said:

I have an OCXO clock on my headless PC. It is powered by a Lithium Battery now. Can I use the LPS-1 to drive the clock? It takes 5V 1.6A.

1.6A at 5V? How how does that oven clock get?! (is there room in that oven for microscopic loaves of bread? xD)

If you 100% certain that the clock really draws that much current, then no, the UltraCap LPS-1 maxes out at between 1.1A-1.2A (we guarantee them to 1.1A, but many test on my bench to 1.15-1.18A) and would not be appropriate.

Have you ever put an ammeter in line with your clock battery supply?  I really would be shocked if it drew anywhere near 1.6A/5V.

30 minutes ago, Superdad said:

1.6A at 5V? How how does that oven clock get?! (is there room in that oven for microscopic loaves of bread? xD)

If you 100% certain that the clock really draws that much current, then no, the UltraCap LPS-1 maxes out at between 1.1A-1.2A (we guarantee them to 1.1A, but many test on my bench to 1.15-1.18A) and would not be appropriate.

Have you ever put an ammeter in line with your clock battery supply?  I really would be shocked if it drew anywhere near 1.6A/5V.

The clock is for my mobo. I always want to have a better power supply for the clock. Will u design another LPS-X with larger output current?