IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Since the first UltraCap LPS-1 units will begin arriving to USA buyers this week (with all first-batch overseas orders departing today), it makes sense to start a thread where people can post their questions, comments, concerns, etc., about our groundbreaking little supply.

This can also be the place for prospective buyers to ask questions--to both UpTone and the LPS-1 user base--about use and applicability of the product for their music systems.

We have one favor to ask: If you wish to report on you use and listening experience with the LPS-1, please do so in the UltraCap LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread.

Thanks very much,

--Alex C.

My mutec 3+ USB uses a 6.3v meanwell power supply. Not sure how many amps. Will I be able to use the lps-1 for it?

As you know (but others here may not), the Mutec has an open-frame Mean Well SMPS mounted inside the unit. And it seems that you are considering doing as some have done--removing that internal supply and feeding it with a clean, external LPS.

Based on photos and comparisons to photos of the various Mean Well NFM series, I suspect that your Mutec has the NFM-15-5 (seen here: NFM-15-MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer).

So while it may actually be a 5V supply instead of 6.3V, that really does not matter as the Mutec's on board regulators should be fine even from 7V (one of the LPS-1's settings: it offers 3.3V, 5V, and 7V).

The more important question is how much current the Mutec actually draws. The Mean Well NFM-15-5 is a 15 watt supply, and the LPS-1 maxes out at about 7.5W. But the Mutec may not even draw that much. The only way to know would be to disconnect the positive leg of the MeanWell and put an ammeter/multimeter in line between that PS wire and the connector pin it was plugged into. That will--with the Mutec powered and running--show you its true current draw. If it is 1 amp or less, then yes, the LPS-1 could readily power your Mutec clock/converter.

900x900px-LL-2c4cdbd2_FullnoUSB_zpscfsip1ik1.jpeg

As you know (but others here may not), the Mutec has an open-frame Mean Well SMPS mounted inside the unit. And it seems that you are considering doing as some have done--removing that internal supply and feeding it with a clean, external LPS.

Based on photos and comparisons to photos of the various Mean Well NFM series, I suspect that your Mutec has the NFM-15-5 (seen here: NFM-15-MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer).

So while it may actually be a 5V supply instead of 6.3V, that really does not matter as the Mutec's on board regulators should be fine even from 7V (one of the LPS-1's settings: it offers 3.3V, 5V, and 7V).

The more important question is how much current the Mutec actually draws. The Mean Well NFM-15-5 is a 15 watt supply, and the LPS-1 maxes out at about 7.5W. But the Mutec may not even draw that much. The only way to know would be to disconnect the positive leg of the MeanWell and put an ammeter/multimeter in line between that PS wire and the connector pin it was plugged into. That will--with the Mutec powered and running--show you its true current draw. If it is 1 amp or less, then yes, the LPS-1 could readily power your Mutec clock/converter.

Thank you very much Alex! I'll try and find out.

Two other questions...

1) Anyone using this with FMC devices? Specifically, I'd like to know if a single LPS-1 could drive two FMC's.

2) As the LPS-1 is a single output device, how would I get it to drive two components in the first place? Do I need a different cable?

Two other questions...

1) Anyone using this with FMC devices? Specifically, I'd like to know if a single LPS-1 could drive two FMC's.

2) As the LPS-1 is a single output device, how would I get it to drive two components in the first place? Do I need a different cable?

1) Pretty early as the post office is just starting to deliver units in the USA today. And while it may be possible to power two fibre-media-converters with a single LPS-1 (provided the pair does not exceed the modest current capabilities of our supply), it might not be desirable as the point of FMCs is the galvanic isolation. In a way, running both ends from one LPS--even one that is 100% floated/isolation such as the LPS-1) might defeat some aspect of the fiber connection.

2) To attempt to power two devices with a single UltraCap LPS-1, all you need is a DC 'Y' cable/splitter such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE/

That one assumes the devices you want to power are close together (so you run our included 70cm 5.5mm x 2.1mm cable to the 'Y' cord); if the devices to be powered are far apart, then one of these would be more appropriate: https://www.amazon.com/1-Male-2-1mm-5-5mm-2-Female-Adapter/dp/B0059MYIQG . Then you would need another male/male DC cable.

Hope that helps.

1) Pretty early as the post office is just starting to deliver units in the USA today. And while it may be possible to power two fibre-media-converters with a single LPS-1 (provided the pair does not exceed the modest current capabilities of our supply), it might not be desirable as the point of FMCs is the galvanic isolation. In a way, running both ends from one LPS--even one that is 100% floated/isolation such as the LPS-1) might defeat some aspect of the fiber connection.

2) To attempt to power two devices with a single UltraCap LPS-1, all you need is a DC 'Y' cable/splitter such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE/

That one assumes the devices you want to power are close together (so you run our included 70cm 5.5mm x 2.1mm cable to the 'Y' cord); if the devices to be powered are far apart, then one of these would be more appropriate: https://www.amazon.com/1-Male-2-1mm-5-5mm-2-Female-Adapter/dp/B0059MYIQG . Then you would need another male/male DC cable.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again! Those links are really helpful.

In my case I have two fmc setups, one feeding my rednet3 - and one feeding my microRendu. Was hoping a single lps-2 might work...

pity the LPS-1 doesn't do 12v :'-(

I'm sure it would do wonders with this 2Qute, I got a couple of hours ago, which only needs 0.5A

Alex: when will the LPS-2 be available? ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I'm sure it would do wonders with this 2Qute, I got a couple of hours ago, which only needs 0.5A

But the Hugo doesn't. 7V will work according to Chord. It's just the Hugo doesn't have galvanic isolation so an Intona is needed which may in this case be better, especially if you get one of the special Hugo's that don't require the 5V USB for the HD input to activate.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hugo is already battery powered, no point charging a battery with a great LPS ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hugo is already battery powered, no point charging a battery with a great LPS ;)

Bypass it. I suspect that this is it's downfall in better SQ, the batteries, whereas the TT uses something similar to LPS-1 but even better would be the LPS-1.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Since the first UltraCap LPS-1 units will begin arriving to USA buyers this week (with all first-batch overseas orders departing today), it makes sense to start a thread where people can post their questions, comments, concerns, etc., about our groundbreaking little supply.

This can also be the place for prospective buyers to ask questions--to both UpTone and the LPS-1 user base--about use and applicability of the product for their music systems.

We have one favor to ask: If you wish to report on you use and listening experience with the LPS-1, please do so in the UltraCap LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread.

Thanks very much,

--Alex C.

Hi,

Enjoying my LPS-1 so far. I have a rather trivial request, - either of Alex or the community....

Would either UPTone make, or is there a cable to buy, that could be shorter than the provided length cable with the 2 X 2.1mm connectors?

I am betting that there are others beside myself that have the microRendu (or whatever device) very close to the LPS-1, and don't need a long cable.

Thanks

Wonder if the 2Qute 12V input could be bypassed? The 2Qute shouldn't need the much voltage if the Hugo only needs 7-8V.

bypass 2Qute's DC socket? :|

sorry but I'm lost here: look for and plug in there a better PS is as far as I'll go :)

headphones system:

Hi,

Enjoying my LPS-1 so far. I have a rather trivial request, - either of Alex or the community....

Would either UPTone make, or is there a cable to buy, that could be shorter than the provided length cable with the 2 X 2.1mm connectors?

I am betting that there are others beside myself that have the microRendu (or whatever device) very close to the LPS-1, and don't need a long cable.

Thanks

I love these sorts of little challenges!

While we are not going to have a bunch of short cables made (I had to buy 1,000 and wait several months for the cost 70cm 16awg coax cord that ships with the LPS-1), here is what I found in a quick search:

A 6-inch with 5.5mm x 2.1mm both ends (can't tell the wire gauge, but I am sure it is fine for 1A)

6 inch 2.1MM PLUG TO 2.1MM PLUG, DC POWER SUPPLY ADAPTOR DC-2X-2 REPLACEMENT 1.5FT

A 10cm cable with 2.1mm one and and 2.5mm the other (great price for 10 pieces; one could then use an adaptor to reduce the 2.5 to 2.1, though 2.5mm plugs work okay in 2.1mm sockets--just not very tight)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-10cm-Short-DC-5-5x2-5mm-Male-Plug-L-shape-Conversion-Cable-to-DC-5/1169490_1966987907.html

A company that custom makes them in any length you want--and for cheap. Not sure of the wire gauge:

https://reverb.com/item/2862197-tight-squeeze-cables-2-1mm-standard-dc-pedal-power-cable-choose-your-own-length-3-48

And then it hit me, the ultimate short cable for an UltraCap LPS-1/microRendu match up is not even a cable! It's a solid adapter. Turn the microRendu on edge (self-cools better that way anyway;maybe make a little stand) and plug it right to the LPS-1s output! I checked, and there is zero interference--the microRendu's Ethernet jack will be well above the top of the LPS-1.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/2-1mm-dc-plug-to-2-1mm-dc-plug-adaptor/p/PA3707

I am sure there is a USA source for this adaptor, I'm just out of time to look right now.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Thanks much and enjoy the music!

--Alex C.

I love these sorts of little challenges!

While we are not going to have a bunch of short cables made (I had to buy 1,000 and wait several months for the cost 70cm 16awg coax cord that ships with the LPS-1), here is what I found in a quick search:

Have a great weekend everyone.

Thanks much and enjoy the music!

--Alex C.

Thank you Alex!!

You rock.... have a great weekend....

Righto then, I'm off to jaycar in the morning to get a couple of these adaptors! Advance prep for my near future revamp of the digital setup, urendu, lps-1 et al ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Righto then, I'm off to jaycar in the morning to get a couple of these adaptors! Advance prep for my near future revamp of the digital setup, urendu, lps-1 et al ...

By the way, for those of you here in the states, I did find the same sort of male/male DC 2.1mm adapter on Amazon (Prime even):

https://www.amazon.com/2-1mm-5-5mm-power-cable-coupler/dp/B017C5JQ1E

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question to answer. I recall reading somewhere that it is best to leave the LPS-1 'powered up' permanently, along with say it's associated microRendu or whatever. OK - fine, I understand this, and a proportion of the kit I have is left on permanently.

However, I recall reading somewhere that the LPS-1 (or ultracaps in general?) do not like being turned off much, or at least they get hotter when turned off, prior to then cooling of course. The point being, I do quite regularly have periods where I know I will not be able to use my system maybe for a week, sometimes two weeks. If an enforced two weeks away from the system is approaching, it does make sense to turn everything off. Does this have any kind of negative effect on the LPS-1? Would the recommendation be keep everything powered up regardless? I suspect this may be a non issue, but I would be interested if there is any good advice here.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question to answer. I recall reading somewhere that it is best to leave the LPS-1 'powered up' permanently, along with say it's associated microRendu or whatever. OK - fine, I understand this, and a proportion of the kit I have is left on permanently.

However, I recall reading somewhere that the LPS-1 (or ultracaps in general?) do not like being turned off much, or at least they get hotter when turned off, prior to then cooling of course. The point being, I do quite regularly have periods where I know I will not be able to use my system maybe for a week, sometimes two weeks. If an enforced two weeks away from the system is approaching, it does make sense to turn everything off. Does this have any kind of negative effect on the LPS-1? Would the recommendation be keep everything powered up regardless? I suspect this may be a non issue, but I would be interested if there is any good advice here.

Turning the LPS-1 off occasionally does not harm anything. Turning it off once a day is fine, turning it off twenty times a day is probably not a good thing to do. Putting the electronics through that much thermal cycling is not good, let alone that your audio gear will never sound its best since it will always be cooling off and warming up.

John S.

Turning the LPS-1 off occasionally does not harm anything. Turning it off once a day is fine, turning it off twenty times a day is probably not a good thing to do. Putting the electronics through that much thermal cycling is not good, let alone that your audio gear will never sound its best since it will always be cooling off and warming up.

John S.

Personally I was thinking about something rather less than 20 times a year, rather than 20 a day! Good, a non-issue as I'd hoped. Thanks for the feedback.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Hi,

Thanks

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-listening-impressions-thread-30172/index5.html#post594373

Hi Gang:

While I appreciate the various side conversations about usage, tweaks, etc., there are going to be a LOT of new people coming here to read and ask questions about the use of the UltraCap LPS-1. Especially after the first formal editor review from another site hits next week. :)

I did make two threads--which are actively carrying on--for just the sort of topics you are chatting about. Please continue over at either the "LPS-1 Troubleshooting, system grounding, etc." thread,

or at the aptly named "LPS-1 Thread that off-topic posts get tossed into..."

The latter is where I just judiciously moved a few recent ones from here.

Thanks for understanding.

Have a great weekend.

--Alex C.

P.S. We are 2/3rds moved into our new space, and we are still on track to ship most all of the end-of-October-promised orders on time by mid-week. :)

Will the LPS-1 work with the NAD 1050?

D 1050 USB DAC - NAD Electronics

by a quick look at its datasheet (link on that very webpage ;) ) I see it takes 5v DC from an external PS so, so far... it might work

issue is I couldn't find a single word about its A(mperes) requirement (only mention is 0.5W *in standby*) so... it might not

:P

headphones system: