IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

LPS-1 is a superb power supply and I use it with SOtM SMS-200.

I use Maenwell to power LPS-1.

Hope now it's clear.

As I wrote before, I can easilly imagine someone finding a recent revelation when using IFI iPower with LPS-1. I just found other aspects in my system setup suffering from it. For sure our setups are different. Our personal preferences can be different too..   

5 hours ago, Trabb said:

I replaced IFI 9V/2A powering my LPS-1 with a stock meanwell.

IFI in fact is a kind of filter and I dare to say a strong one.

IFI definitely creates the 3D dimension WOW effect, and blacker background. And is not expensive too.

But.

I find vocals more-less similar in texture and overall presentation is less airy.

Combination of both, in my setup, effected in more fatiguing, analytical presentation that was hard to change down the chain and kept me thinking of what to do as a next step. 

I had this feeling I always miss some small parts of music content.

I would continue my research for a different, this time linear power supply for my LPS-1. One is yet on my way.

And yeah, one more thing. LPS-1 I use for powering SMS-200.

Just share my observations.

That is interesting. I have measured the AC noise generated by various SMPS and linear PSUs (Meanwell, iFi, Teddy Pardo, UpTone JS-2 - full post HERE) and certainly iFi iPower kicked over 4x less noise back into the AC line than the Meanwell:

kRWbeb.gif

Those SMPS are very complicated devices though. They have filters built in on their side facing AC line (to conform with EMI regulations) - you can see that simply connecting some of those SMPS to the AC line made the EMI drop. For example: connecting iFi iPower SMPS (with no load connected to it) made the noise on the AC line drop from 23mV to 15mV - the biggest drop in the test group. 

I can only guess that those filters can affect other components connected to the same AC line - in a good or bad way.  

I would be interested to read your impressions when you get your linear PSU. From all PSUs tested, linear ones injected the least amount of noise back to the AC line.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Is there anything in the thought of the LPS needing to be powered up for a couple of days to 'come on song'? The reason I ask is that after powering it down to install the 2.5 upgrade in my mR, the sound became thin and/or uninteresting upon power on. Now after being on for 24 hours or more, it seems back to its usual self? Is this just me, or has anyone else had something similar? I think I'm suffering from paranoia or something...?

If that were true, then maybe...unfortunately not. I've been listening all night and it seems back to normal. I've re-read some of these past posts and someone did mention that it got better after a couple of days, so maybe that's it... or maybe it's just me, that's what my wife says most of the time! ?

Unless people take professional hearing tests or expensive scopes on the kit everytime you go to listen to your kit..how can you know... Your nasal passages change through the day. The time you listen to your kit with the local power grid. 

Just happy the LPS1 made it better and keeps it there..?

Hi all,

I have emailed Alex regarding my question, but given his other priorities at the moment, thought I would ask here.

I'm looking to upgrade my 2010 mac mini with the MMK dc kit and add the Iso Regen between the mac mini and my PSAudio Nuwave DSD dac. I'm also considering the HDPlex 200 to power them (sadly my budget won't stretch to a JS-2 at the moment). 

I'm thinking of a few options:

1. power the MMK with a smps and power the Iso Regen with an Ultracap LPS-1

2. power both the MMK and Iso Regen with a HDPlex 200

3. power both the MMK and Ultracap LPS-1/Iso Regen with a HDPlex 200

(with 2 and 3, I can then also power my fw800 connected hdd with the HDPlex 200)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Douglas

Wow, Alex!

Thank you for so much information - it's raining here this weekend, so perfect for listening to music and getting through the reading list you gave me! From the small amount that I've already read since I read your reply, I will have more questions, but I'll do all the recommended reading first and try to distill to the bare minimum ?

Thanks again.

Douglas

Hi Alex,

After reading through the threads you suggested (and a few more that I found) and convincing  myself to spend a bit more, I’m thinking of getting the following:

Second hand 2011/2012 mac mini

MMK upgrade

Ultracap LPS-1/Iso rRegen.

I have a 3TB lacie 2big NAS drive that can be connected direct to the mac mini via Ethernet (and then do the thunderbolt-ethernet dongle to keep home network access to the mac mini). This way I can either sell the 2010 mac mini or repurpose it for one of my daughters. Is this equal to or better than your option to use the old mac mini as well?

I’m assuming that you still find putting the OS and apps on an sd card? If this is the case it means I can spend less on the mac mini and buy one with a standard hdd (which I can take out) rather than a ssd. I can also download a copy of El Capitan and slim it down.

I have a 2KVa isolation transformer that was feeding my Krell integrated, PSAudio dac and mac mini. Based on what I have read so far, I have now removed the mac mini and will probably remove the Krell. I’m assuming it is best to only have the dac fed by the isolation transformer?

Bearing in mind your previous comments about using smps units to power the MMK, would it still be preferable to power the MMK and the NAS drive from a linear psu or would this risk ground loop issues?

Happy for you to answer with yes/no answers – although I suspect this is not in your dna…

Best regards

Douglas

On 5/20/2017 at 8:27 PM, douglasfrost said:

Hi Alex,

After reading through the threads you suggested (and a few more that I found) and convincing  myself to spend a bit more, I’m thinking of getting the following:

MMK upgrade

Sounds good. :)

I have a 3TB lacie 2big NAS drive that can be connected direct to the mac mini via Ethernet (and then do the thunderbolt-ethernet dongle to keep home network access to the mac mini). This way I can either sell the 2010 mac mini or repurpose it for one of my daughters. Is this equal to or better than your option to use the old mac mini as well?

That should be just fine.  Certainly better than a Firewire or Thunderbolt connection.   Be sure to get a BlueJeans/Belden Cat6 or Cat6A cable to go from the NAS to the new(er) Mac mini.

I’m assuming that you still find putting the OS and apps on an sd card? If this is the case it means I can spend less on the mac mini and buy one with a standard hdd (which I can take out) rather than a ssd. I can also download a copy of El Capitan and slim it down.

I do, but I recommend you leave the internal spinning HD in the machine and just eject/dismount it after booting from the SD card.  It takes a while to get a smoothly running slim OS X on SD card, and if one fails then you want to be able to boot without having to reinstall your HD.  I partitioned my internal drive into about 4 partitions: One has a factory-stock OS install, one is for slimming experimentation, one is a clone of the working SD card image, and one is for testing newer OS versions (stay away from Sierra!). Actually there is a fifth partition--with Linux.

Anyway, once you eject/dismount all HD partitions, the SATA interface pretty much turns off, and that is the goal.

I have a 2KVa isolation transformer that was feeding my Krell integrated, PSAudio dac and mac mini. Based on what I have read so far, I have now removed the mac mini and will probably remove the Krell. I’m assuming it is best to only have the dac fed by the isolation transformer?

That is a more complicated question, for which the best guess answer would require a look at a diagram of your full system.  

Bearing in mind your previous comments about using smps units to power the MMK, would it still be preferable to power the MMK and the NAS drive from a linear psu or would this risk ground loop issues?

Remember, leakage loops are not the same thing as ground loops.  Look for John's writings on the subject.  

Some folks swear that an LPS on their NAS is critical.  I would likely avoid powering your DAC-connected computer and the NAS from the same PS.  Though with an ISO REGEN/LPS-1 combo on the other side, it might not matter much.

Happy for you to answer with yes/no answers – although I suspect this is not in your dna…

If only life and audio were simple enough for yes/no answers...9_9

On 5/20/2017 at 11:27 PM, douglasfrost said:

I’m thinking of getting the following:

MMK upgrade

Doug,

Sounds good, through you seem to have left out a LPSU for the Mini ?!?  You need a good 12vdc supply @ 4-6 amps to connect to the MMK input.

I got a used 2012 Mac Mini off eBay for about $225-250. I choose the most basic and common config for the fastest I5 CPU. The I7 CPU's will cost you upwards of $900. I didn't care about the RAM or HDD, since I replaced both.

An aftermarket SSD, and 16GB RAM kit were cheaper then getting a Mini so equipped, and since you have to open it up anyway for the MMK install, might as well swap in a SSD (amazingly fast boot up !), and max out the memory (because it always seems to help) in the process !

I think you will be very happy (ecstatic ?) with the result :)

P.S. I re-purposed my old 2010 Mini, bumped from server duty, to my everyday email/browser/etc. machine replacing a 2006 laptop. Works nice !

Felt that my system sounded superb and had likely achieved it's theoretical limit of performance... that was yesterday.

Today an ISORegen hopped out of the mailbox.

Boy, was I wrong.

Simply amazing coherence resulting in a clear improvement in every aspect of SQ.

Thank you Alex and John!

2 minutes ago, Nicholas_S said:

Felt that my system sounded superb and had likely achieved it's theoretical limit of performance... that was yesterday.

Today an ISORegen hopped out of the mailbox.

Boy, was I wrong.

Simply amazing coherence resulting in a clear improvement in every aspect of SQ.

Thank you Alex and John!

Nice! As far as I know, you are the first to receive it. Glad it helped your setup. Could you describe your set up?

22 minutes ago, thyname said:

Nice! As far as I know, you are the first to receive it. Glad it helped your setup. Could you describe your set up?

Sure... Roon Server feeding a microRendu through the ISORegen into a W4S DAC-2 DSDse.  Salk HTL-2 speakers driven by a DSonic amp rated at 1.2kW per channel through a W4S STP-SE stage 2 preamp.

The ISORegen replaced a W4S RUR that is excellent in its own right and will find a home in a secondary system.

Just now, Nicholas_S said:

Sure... Roon Server feeding a microRendu through the ISORegen into a W4S DAC-2 DSDse.  Salk HTL-2 speakers driven by a DSonic amp rated at 1.2kW per channel through a W4S STP-SE stage 2 preamp.

The ISORegen replaced a W4S RUR that is excellent in its own right and will find a home in a secondary system.

Great! I use Roon (on a Windows machine) and microRendu too (to Singxer SU-1, then DAC).

Assuming you put the ISO Regen between the mRendu and the DAC? 

Just now, Nicholas_S said:

Yes, that is correct... using Alex' new USB connector between the microRendu and ISORegen, then a shortie Curious Cable between the ISORegen and the DAC.

Nice! Great to know beforehand that I will notice improvements once I receive my ISO (second batch here) in June. I know theoritically I would, but nice to hear actual experience from users.

Thanks!

Just wrote this to Alex: "Fedex delivered the ISO Regen. It is DOA, I am afraid. Doesn't work directly with supplied connector -- or a Curios USB link -- into Berkeley Alpha USB. There is a popping/crackling noise, and then the connection fails. On my desktop system, into another USB>SPDI/F converter, the connection came on with crackling, distorting nose for sometime, and then failed. The earlier Regens are working fine. The new connector makes a change for the better. But all this is kind of disappointing. What is to be done"

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

1 minute ago, sdube said:

Just wrote this to Alex: "Fedex delivered the ISO Regen. It is DOA, I am afraid. Doesn't work directly with supplied connector -- or a Curios USB link -- into Berkeley Alpha USB. There is a popping/crackling noise, and then the connection fails. On my desktop system, into another USB>SPDI/F converter, the connection came on with crackling, distorting nose for sometime, and then failed. The earlier Regens are working fine. The new connector makes a change for the better. But all this is kind of disappointing. What is to be done"

Hi Saurabh:

Sounds like you got a bad one.  I think one or two slipped through Q.C.  I ordered a protocol analyzer for tighter production testing.  It, along with a cheap Windows laptop to run the analyzer s/w will be here this week.  

I received your e-mail and will get back to you right after lunch about exchanging your ISO REGEN.

Sorry for the trouble; and of course we stand 100% behind the product and will make it right for you quickly.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Delete...wrong thread.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks @Superdad and @Daudio

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Be sure to get a BlueJeans/Belden Cat6 or Cat6A cable to go from the NAS to the new(er) Mac mini.

Will do.

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

I recommend you leave the internal spinning HD in the machine and just eject/dismount it after booting from the SD card.

Will do.

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

That is a more complicated question, for which the best guess answer would require a look at a diagram of your full system.

Will try using my ears...

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Remember, leakage loops are not the same thing as ground loops.  Look for John's writings on the subject.  

Some folks swear that an LPS on their NAS is critical.  I would likely avoid powering your DAC-connected computer and the NAS from the same PS.  Though with an ISO REGEN/LPS-1 combo on the other side, it might not matter much.

Will read John's views and will try using my ears...

4 hours ago, Daudio said:

Sounds good, through you seem to have left out a LPSU for the Mini ?!?  You need a good 12vdc supply @ 4-6 amps to connect to the MMK input.

Haven't forgotten - thinking about hdplex200 (or similar) or saving up and getting a JS-2 further down the track.

4 hours ago, Daudio said:

I got a used 2012 Mac Mini off eBay for about $225-250. I choose the most basic and common config for the fastest I5 CPU. The I7 CPU's will cost you upwards of $900. I didn't care about the RAM or HDD, since I replaced both.

An aftermarket SSD, and 16GB RAM kit were cheaper then getting a Mini so equipped, and since you have to open it up anyway for the MMK install, might as well swap in a SSD (amazingly fast boot up !), and max out the memory (because it always seems to help) in the process !

I'm in Australia, and the second hand mac minis are a bit more expensive, but the difference from i5 to i7 isn't as great. I'll just follow the auctions and see how I go. Won't worry about ssd as I'm planning to run the OSX off an sdxc card as per @Superdad thread, but will definitely max out the ram.

5 hours ago, Daudio said:

P.S. I re-purposed my old 2010 Mini, bumped from server duty, to my everyday email/browser/etc. machine replacing a 2006 laptop. Works nice !

My macpro 2013 handles the day to day nicely (mainly used for lightroom and photoshop) but I may end up keeping the old 2010 mini as a separate music server to feed music to the various apple tvs scattered around the house.

• 2 weeks later...