IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I purchased a LPS-1 complete with Meanwell Energiser from VortexBox in the UK which arrived today.

I am using it to power a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (Rev C) and have the LPS-1 set to 7v.  I wait 75 seconds and check that the led turns green.

When connected the soundstage is flat and instruments like pianos sound digital and not lifelike.  The sound is muffled, lifeless and horrible to listen.  Once I replace the original Recovery power supply the energy and amazing fidelity returns.  All instruments are natural again.

Something must be wrong as the reviews are positive about the LPS-1.  Others have used the LPS-1 with the Recovery with good results.  I’m hoping it is just a faulty unit because I was looking forward to the same results others have reported.

Hoping someone can help and tell me what could be wrong?

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

I've listen for over an hour now.  The latest W4S DAC2V2 SE sounds amazing but with the LPS-1 powering the recovery it sounds worse than a £10 wind up radio.

I'm hoping someone can explain why this is happening.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

I've listen for over an hour now.  The latest W4S DAC2V2 SE sounds amazing but with the LPS-1 powering the recovery it sounds worse than a £10 wind up radio.

Hi:

I am truly baffled by your descriptions and very sorry that your experience with the LPS-1 is the exact opposite to that of over 1,000 users so far.  

I see in your signature that you also use the Sonore microRendu.  Have you tried using the LPS-1 to power the microRendu instead of the W4S Recovery?  

The LPS-1 has enough current to power both the microRendu and Recovery at the same time--using a easy-to-obtain 'Y' cord--and lots of folks are doing that.  But I would start by trying the LPS-1 with just the microRendu.

Please do double-check that you have the LPS-1 set to 7V.

Of course if you do not get satisfactory results, you should return the piece for a cheerful refund.  We are not in this business to have anybody be unhappy with our products.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

I'm hoping someone can explain why this is happening.

Snap Bamber? just got mine today from VortexBox. I can say about linking it to my Intona via a IFI idefender with  DC FEMALE TO USB MINI.

Swapping from battery pack to LPS1 has brought a lot more focus and accuracy. Highs and bass sharper and deeper.  I hope some people here with the Wyrd for sound can help out.

One thing I found the Volt switch is easy to move. If 5v is the right setting just check it's in the middle. 

Other than that I can't think of anything other than try another Male to male cable.

Maybe an Email to W4s.

I got this waiting for the release of the ISO but great results focusing and improving usb transport into the intona.

Let us know what happens Bamber.

I hope it works out for you mate.

Good luck

Dave

3 hours ago, Bamber said:

I purchased a LPS-1 complete with Meanwell Energiser from VortexBox in the UK which arrived today.

I am using it to power a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (Rev C) and have the LPS-1 set to 7v.  I wait 75 seconds and check that the led turns green.

When connected the soundstage is flat and instruments like pianos sound digital and not lifelike.  The sound is muffled, lifeless and horrible to listen.  Once I replace the original Recovery power supply the energy and amazing fidelity returns.  All instruments are natural again.

Something must be wrong as the reviews are positive about the LPS-1.  Others have used the LPS-1 with the Recovery with good results.  I’m hoping it is just a faulty unit because I was looking forward to the same results others have reported.

Hoping someone can help and tell me what could be wrong?

I use the Uptone LPS-1 to power a W4S Recovery into a Lampizator DAC. The LPS-1 is a distinct improvement over several other high quality PSU and battery units I have tried and your result is indeed puzzling.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't made any silly mistakes like not setting the voltage to 7v :)  I checked it several times before posting.

I also measured the LPS-1 voltage last night and there are no issues, it is supplying 7.04v.

The SMPS supplied with the Recovery is outputting 8.87v.

The Recovery has a safe range of between 6v and 9v.  Would there be any benefit of purchasing a second LPS-1 and using them in series to get 8.3v?

I'm grasping at straws but want to get the same result that the other 1000s of happy customers have experienced.  I doubt that multiple LPS-1s would make any difference but I'm willing to try.

I spoke to VortexBox (the supplier) on the phone and they are great to deal with.

I have no reason to think the LPS-1 I have is faulty it just isn't working well in my setup.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Perhaps ask them to swap it out with another one?

Like many others, I've used the LPS-1 set at 7v with an RUR, with great results, so your experience is just puzzling. What do you have powering the microRendu? 

you shouldn't need a second one in series for sure.

The microRendu is not in use right now, there are issues with Native DSD.  It is a well known issue, W4S and Sonore are currently working on.

So in the short term I'm using a passive NUC as a NAA.  The LPS-1 was purchased as a clean supply for the Recovery at this stage.  It is good to know it will power both with a Y cable when needed.

Im puzzled like everyone that has replied so far.  Without hearing the difference first hand it is hard to believe a simple power supply could change the sound this way.

5 minutes ago, Bamber said:

The microRendu is not in use right now, there are issues with Native DSD.  It is a well known issue, W4S and Sonore are currently working on.

So in the short term I'm using a passive NUC as a NAA.  The LPS-1 was purchased as a clean supply for the Recovery at this stage.  It is good to know it will power both with a Y cable when needed.

Im puzzled like everyone that has replied so far.  Without hearing the difference first hand it is hard to believe a simple power supply could change the sound this way.

Let's make sure we're puzzled at the same things!

1. I'm NOT puzzled that power supplies make a sonic difference. 
  2. I would even NOT be puzzled if you'd found the LPS-1 did not improve the sonics. The level of improvement with the LPS-1 is variable, depending on the extent of leakage loops it breaks. If you put it in a location where leakage currents are miniscule already, then its effect will be more modest, in line with a normal PS upgrade. The aha experience people report with the LPS-1 appears to be when the 2 improvements coincide.
  3. Finally - I AM puzzled at the finding that the LPS-1 sounds WORSE than a cheapo SMPS supply. THAT does not make sense, based on my, and many others' experience.
50 minutes ago, Bamber said:

The SMPS supplied with the Recovery is outputting 8.87v.

The Recovery has a safe range of between 6v and 9v.  Would there be any benefit of purchasing a second LPS-1 and using them in series to get 8.3v?

No, that will not affect anything.

Just as with most every other device, the Recovery is dropping the input voltage down to both 5V (for its VBUS output) and 3.3V (for its hub chip and clock).  Regulators need a little room to regulate, hence the 6V lowest supply voltage recommendation.  Anything above that is just dissipated as heat.  

(If someone says they prefer a device such as this running with a higher input voltage, then the only possible explanation is that the hotter temps inside the case are keeping the clock a bit warmer.)

While there is a VERY small possibility of there being something wrong with you LPS-1, I suspect it is something else.  ANY product that makes a significant audible change will always have at least a few people who perceive such change as a negative.  What do they call that?: "The exception that proves the rule."  o.O

Martin at Vortexbox will take good care of you in any case.

Best,

--Alex C.

Martin put stamps on our box's at the same time so 50 50 it was mine not Bambers?.

I gutted he has an issue I waited 5 days and that was too long.☺ 1st world issues..

Now bypassing the battery on my phone to the LPS1 5V is another level.

So another big thank you John and Alex.

It's great?

Now I am joining the ISO REGEN worriers club. 

Club rule 1

Make Alex and John talk about the ISO in detail Everyday...

Club rule 2

Stop others asking question about the ISO so it can be finished and sent to your house....

Good luck in the coming weeks guys

Dave

18 minutes ago, Middy said:

Now I am joining the ISO REGEN worriers club. 

Club rule 1

Make Alex and John talk about the ISO in detail Everyday...

Club rule 2

Stop others asking question about the ISO so it can be finished and sent to your house....

Good luck in the coming weeks guys

Dave

LOL!  :P

But it is more like days than weeks...

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, that will not affect anything.

Just as with most every other device, the Recovery is dropping the input voltage down to both 5V (for its VBUS output) and 3.3V (for its hub chip and clock).  Regulators need a little room to regulate, hence the 6V lowest supply voltage recommendation.  Anything above that is just dissipated as heat.  

(If someone says they prefer a device such as this running with a higher input voltage, then the only possible explanation is that the hotter temps inside the case are keeping the clock a bit warmer.)

While there is a VERY small possibility of there being something wrong with you LPS-1, I suspect it is something else.  ANY product that makes a significant audible change will always have at least a few people who perceive such change as a negative.  What do they call that?: "The exception that proves the rule."  o.O

Martin at Vortexbox will take good care of you in any case.

Best,

--Alex C.

OMG I'm finally hearing the lovely W4S DAC2v2 SE with the LPS-1 and it bliss.

I replaced the DC4 cable that was supplied with the LPS-1 and immediately had a big grin with what I was hearing.

Maybe Alex will stop blaming my 38 year old hearing now the issue has been found :)

Hopefully Martin will send a better quality replacement cable.  I don't know what the issue is maybe bad shielding.

You were lucky Middy, while I had 2 days of doubting my ability to toggle a voltage switch and connect cables :)

20 minutes ago, Bamber said:

OMG I'm finally hearing the lovely W4S DAC2v2 SE with the LPS-1 and it bliss.

I replaced the DC4 cable that was supplied with the LPS-1 and immediately had a big grin with what I was hearing.

Fascinating.  And really glad to know you are now getting better results.  What cable did you insert that bought the SQ back for you?

Just to be clear, the unshielded DC4 cable is not what UpTone supplies with the LPS-1.  Ours is a 70cm 16awg coaxial cable.

As mentioned elsewhere the other day, I just paid $5,000 to have Oyaide put their original style DC 5.5mm x 2.5/2.1mm plugs back into production (just for us sorry) so that we will continue to have a supply of pieces that can manage the 15awg pairing of the 18awg star-quad we use for the cables offered with our 5-7 amp JS-2.  

And I ordered the mix (2.5 and 2.1mm) such that we will--in a month or so after the ISO REGEN launch--be able to offer these cables to non-JS2 buyers and in a short 2.1>2.1 combo (JS-2 case 2.5mm jack so to-date one end has always been that size). 

If folks are hearing a difference with DC cables, then the above shielded star-quad should in a 50cm length may prove quite popular.  Price will be about $75.

35 minutes ago, Bamber said:

You were lucky Middy, while I had 2 days of doubting my ability to toggle a voltage switch and connect cables :)

Haha Lovely news. Apologies for stating the obvious. The wife was coaching me..

Enjoy the new sound pleasure experience.

Good luck Bamber

Dave

I used a splitter cable.

Are the cables you are supplying with the LPS-1 good quality.

Can anyone recommend third party cables as I don't mind spending a bit to avoid what happened to me with the supplied cable?

9 minutes ago, thyname said:

How do you guys get the LPS-1 power a Singxer SU-1? There is no port on the SU-1 for DC power... Do you open the chassis and void the warranty?

That is the way I did mine...exchanging warranty with much bigger smile.

I later replaced the voltage regulator and the five electrolytic capacitors on the main board as well.  This change also improved the SQ little further, although not as much as simply switching over to LPS-1.  Overall, in my case, using better power source helped a lot.

Okay, here are additional facts:

The 27-inch DC cable that comes with the UltraCap LPS-1 is a 16awg coaxial cable with copper wire of unknown purity (I had 1,000 of these custom-made in China for less than $2 each);

Found one of your earlier posts, I think I must have got a bad one from this batch.

21 minutes ago, Bamber said:

Okay, here are additional facts:

The 27-inch DC cable that comes with the UltraCap LPS-1 is a 16awg coaxial cable with copper wire of unknown purity (I had 1,000 of these custom-made in China for less than $2 each);

Found one of your earlier posts, I think I must have got a bad one from this batch.

But you wrote

"I replaced the DC4 cable that was supplied with the LPS-1..."  

DC4 is the name of the this Sonore/Cardas cable and since you got the LPS-1 from the Sonore/Vortexbox agent in the UK I took you to mean that you got a Sonore DC4 cable with it.  Not that I would expect it to sound bad...

So please be clear about both which cable you felt sounded bad, and what cable you swapped in that now sounds good for you.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Sorry for confusing you, it was the cable that Uptone included with the LPS-1 that made the system sound bad.

I will contact VortexBox and get  them to replace the faulty cable.

On 4/13/2017 at 3:21 PM, watercourse said:

I've had the LPS-1 running now for 5 days, connected to my Regen and powered by the Meanwell PS that came with the Regen.

Initially, right out of the box, increased bass punch was immediately apparent, along with a slight lowering of noise floor, and a greater sense of ease. Over time, the only difference from immediate impressions are that there is a greater sense of cohesiveness and overall smoother treble. Akin to the differences heard when listening to music from my amp when cold to listening when it's reached thermal stability about an hour later.

Bravo Alex and John, keep up the stupendous work!

Over a week in, and I'm really happy with how the combo of the LPS-1/Regen works in conjunction with Audirvana+ v3!

When A+ v3 came out, the distance was narrowed between my reference, the Bel Canto PL1. However, the PL1 was still better in terms of bass macro- and microdynamics, treble control, and image density. With the addition of the LPS-1 to the system, the computer as source is finally coming together to truly compete with both the PL1 and my vinyl rig.

Today, I'm listening to some 70s Blue Note Bobby Hutcherson, and just so impressed at the reproduction of Larry Hancock's kick drum: delicately dancing and driving Bobby's solo on "Searching for the Trane". I'm all smiles thanks to UpTone!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

13 minutes ago, watercourse said:

Over a week in, and I'm really happy with how the combo of the LPS-1/Regen works in conjunction with Audirvana+ v3!

Today, I'm listening to some 70s Blue Note Bobby Hutcherson, and just so impressed at the reproduction of Larry Hancock's kick drum: delicately dancing and driving Bobby's solo on "Searching for the Trane". I'm all smiles thanks to UpTone!

Glad to know you are enjoy the addition of the LPS-1 to your system.

Funny you mention Bobby Hutchinson as he was a friend of my family when I was growing up (my step-father was West Coast Editor of Downbeat magazine in the '70s so I got to me a LOT of jazz luminaries), and I remember him coming for dinner a couple of times.  Was sad when he passed last year.