IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

3 hours ago, mwhitak said:

Second that. Thank you to Jesus, Andrew, and Superdad  for all the great work !

Congratulations/Felicidades/Badhieyaan, indeed.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well and of course John Swenson who engineers all these brilliant circuits!  These products would not exist without him...B|

Have a great weekend everyone,

--Alex C.

Scary thought honestly.  What happens to UpTone if the unthinkable happened? 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

32 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Scary thought honestly.  What happens to UpTone if the unthinkable happened? 

It is in routine social worlds, their ebb and flow, that the unimaginable is imagined (not me, but a strange, sublime, unusual Durkheim): You did ask the question though.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

• 1 month later...

And... another round of applauses! Thank you for your products! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Last device before dac.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 months later...

I'M NOT HEARING IT - a little advice from Uptone users, please

I'm at the proud owner of a JS-2 and and LPS-1.  Both have been in my system for many months.  Happy camper.  Thanks Alex, John S. (and Jesus on the microRendu assist).

Here's my setup: Topaz IT => JS-2 and to => my Exogal Ion digital power amp (powered by a 24V/9.2A Meanwell SMPS brick!--a very unique amp, with a very sketchy power supply for this crowd, I know.  But the gents at Exogal seem to know what they are doing).

The JS-2, in turn feeds my Exogal Comet DAC (which connects to the Ion via a proprietary employment of an HDMI cable--I said it was unique) and my LPS-1, which, in turn, powers the microRendu, which of course plugs into the Comet via a USPCB.

So here's my (first world) problem:  I decided today to listen "critically" as they say and remove the LPS-1 from the system.  I can hear no difference.

I know this is all system and ear dependent (I'm 55 with high freq. loss), but can someone tell me what to listen for?  The LPS-1 is supposed to "completely block the path of AC LEAKAGE CURRENTS".  But what exactly should I be listening for to determine whether I'm going to regret taking it out of my system?  

I realize one sensible answer is: if you can't hear the difference, that's all that matters.  Sell it.  But I want to give it a good chance before I do.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, sockpit said:

I'm at the proud owner of a JS-2 and and LPS-1.  Both have been in my system for many months.  Happy camper.  Thanks Alex, John S. (and Jesus on the microRendu assist).

Here's my setup: Topaz IT => JS-2 and to => my Exogal Ion digital power amp (powered by a 24V/9.2A Meanwell SMPS brick!--a very unique amp, with a very sketchy power supply for this crowd, I know.  But the gents at Exogal seem to know what they are doing).

The JS-2, in turn feeds my Exogal Comet DAC (which connects to the Ion via a proprietary employment of an HDMI cable--I said it was unique) and my LPS-1, which, in turn, powers the microRendu, which of course plugs into the Comet via a USPCB.

So here's my (first world) problem:  I decided today to listen "critically" as they say and remove the LPS-1 from the system.  I can hear no difference.

I know this is all system and ear dependent (I'm 55 with high freq. loss), but can someone tell me what to listen for?  The LPS-1 is supposed to "completely block the path of AC LEAKAGE CURRENTS".  But what exactly should I be listening for to determine whether I'm going to regret taking it out of my system?  

I realize one sensible answer is: if you can't hear the difference, that's all that matters.  Sell it.  But I want to give it a good chance before I do.

Thanks.

Are you powering the LPS-1 with an SMPS and is the -ve output of the SMPS grounded ?  Big difference for me and others.  Look for JSGT in the grounding thread.

13 minutes ago, sockpit said:

No.  I'm powering LPS-1 with the JS-2 (overkill!?!) on 12v (as Alex C. recommended).

I've read about the JSGT maneuver, but have assumed that by feeding the LPS-1 with the JS-2, I needn't lose sleep over that.

I have JS-2 and LPS-1 and am happy to power devices with the JS-2.  I think you can find another use for the LPS-1.

1 hour ago, sockpit said:

Thanks.

I remember reading Uptone saying it didn't matter what was powering the LPS-1, now it turns out you need some kind of particular jury-rigged power configuration to make it sound better than nothing?

Where I'm from that's called false advertising.

Question for you:  When you removed the LPS-1 from microRendu--for the comparison--what then were you powering the microRendu with? 

20 minutes ago, Horace28 said:

I remember reading Uptone saying it didn't matter what was powering the LPS-1, now it turns out you need some kind of particular jury-rigged power configuration to make it sound better than nothing?

Where I'm from that's called false advertising.

Hi Michael:

Well neither I nor 1,500+ UltraCap LPS-1 users think that!  Everyone has been enjoying great benefit from the LPS-1.  But yes, it was discovered that the 80pF of total capacitance from some of the transistors used in the LPS-1 were letting pass a unique form of leakage from its stock SMPS charger. It is called high-impedance leakage and it is easily dispensed with.  Please see my full report about it here:

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Question for you:  When you removed the LPS-1 from microRendu--for the comparison--what then were you powering the microRendu with? 

Hi Alex,

the JS-2, naturally ?

you see, I have always powered the lps-1 with the JS-2.

so I asked myself, could I live without the LPS-1.

after an afternoon of listening, I think the answer is yes.

Hi Alex,

the JS-2, naturally ?

Well that makes perfect sense then since the JS-2 is a mighty fine supply in its own right.  Very quiet, low impedance, and very little leakage from it.  

And since you are using it to power your both DAC and the microRendu--which are joined together (via grounds) and are already isolated (via Ethernet), there are not even any power supply interactions (any two AC connected power supplies in a system--even linears--for a leakage loop).

Now if you were also using a ISO REGEN, then powering the DAC and the microRendu with a single JS-2 would be defeating the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.  But that is another story...B|

So your report makes sense.  But power your microRendu from something other than a JS-2 and you will then be wishing for the LPS-1--or the JS-2!

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Michael:

Well neither I nor 1,500+ UltraCap LPS-1 users think that!  Everyone has been enjoying great benefit from the LPS-1.  But yes, it was discovered that the 80pF of total capacitance from some of the transistors used in the LPS-1 were letting pass a unique form of leakage from its stock SMPS charger. It is called high-impedance leakage and it is easily dispensed with.  Please see my full report about it here:

I read through the "grounding trick" several times and it looked confusing and messy. And I was not able to obtain the parts needed to do it anyway (which weren't clearly specified). If this "trick" is so important it should be put in a manual with the device, and very clearly stated what is needed to be done.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well that makes perfect sense then since the JS-2 is a mighty fine supply in its own right.  Very quiet, low impedance, and very little leakage from it.  

And since you are using it to power your both DAC and the microRendu--which are joined together (via grounds) and are already isolated (via Ethernet), there are not even any power supply interactions (any two AC connected power supplies in a system--even linears--for a leakage loop).

Now if you were also using a ISO REGEN, then powering the DAC and the microRendu with a single JS-2 would be defeating the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN.  But that is another story...B|

So your report makes sense.  But power your microRendu from something other than a JS-2 and you will then be wishing for the LPS-1--or the JS-2!

Thanks for the reply Alex.

I'm going to put it up FOR SALE , then.  Below are the terms; please PM me if interested: