IGNORED

Rock Energy at Its Best!

I think the title of this thread is self-explanatory.

Let me start with these three songs:

From the fantastic 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert.

From the 'Black' Album.

[video=youtube;CD-E-LDc384]

I once damaged my foot tapping to the thythm while watching this DVD :)

BTW I used to say that for me after Rage Against the Machine (meaning after circa 2000) not much happened in rock. I'd love somebody to prove me wrong..

Let's have fun!!! :)

Thumbs up for this! I thought about posting 'At the Movies' from this 1982 CBGB live but I came to the conclusion that some people here might get scared of what they'll see..;) Their gig I've been to (with Israel Joseph I on vocal) is for me the best rock concert I've ever seen! The sound was also (in contrast to CBGB gig) breathtaking - it was VERY loud and at the same time VERY clean, it sounded almost like a well recorded CD played live!

Ok then... 'At the Movies'

[video=youtube;NO_NoW-wWS8]

From the brief period with Israel Joseph I

So you're invited to a late night music TV show to play your greatest hit... that you've been playing so much you could play it in your sleep. Do you phone it in... or do you double down?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Ps. I've just finished watching the Bad Brains documentary. For those who are interested - it's quite good (not very good) and broadened my knowledge about the band a bit. Absulutely check out 1:09 fragment if you don't know the story of recording of 'Sacred Love'. I knew it but I didn't know that HR was smoking the bible (!) while recording it!

Energy, you say you want energy. I've seen a lot of concerts but in the 1970s the was nothing like,

The Who

[video=youtube;ZgubG-MOPT4]

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh YEAH! I thought Hendrix was the sexiest man alive when I was 15. The music too. Nothing more real.

One band that is full of that drive but an entirely different flavor is the Pixies. The CD's suck, the albums are OK quality. Most of their videos sound quality sucks so I won't link... I saw them live in 2013 or so in San Jose - the sound system was amazing. I had a press pass so was able to be front stage for the first 3 songs and the music just went right into you. Literally moved you. That in itself could fill my bucket list. The Pixies were Curt Corbain's (Nirvana) inspiration.

@Lynn124 For me girls are usually more sexy than guys.. But I don't mind if someone has the opposite view ;)

Seriously - yes, Led Zeppelin were sexy, I agree.

This guy was sexy too IMO in his own, quite wild way.. And obviously he KNEW HOW to play the guitar!

One band that is full of that drive but an entirely different flavor is the Pixies. (... ) That in itself could fill my bucket list. The Pixies were Curt Corbain's (Nirvana) inspiration.

I have seen the Pixies on a double with Throwing Muses in 1988. Most intriguing, I thought then.

A year after I saw at the same venue, called Batschkapp, Midnight Oil for their Beds are Burning tour. The most energetic performance I ever saw. Peter Garrett, not only being 2 m tall, was absolutely outstanding. I recently read an article on the 40th Anniversary of that venue, where the owner as well singled out their performance. Have seen 1000+ concerts in 80/90s, but this one together with RATM in a smaller venue in Hamburg were absolutely thrilling.

I recall inviting 4 friends of mine for my 25th Birthday to the Midnight Oil 1990 tour, which was ok, but far away from the 1989 performance.

Cheers Tom

ZZ Top

Oh yea, ZZ Top for sure. I remember going to the Recycler tour concert in the early 90s. From the first song to the last I don't think one person in the audience sat down. Everyone was up and dancing the whole night. Huge Fun!

I always remember thinking at every ZZ concert the it was amazing how much sound just 3 guys on stage could create.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Oh YEAH! I thought Hendrix was the sexiest man alive when I was 15. The music too. Nothing more real.

One band that is full of that drive but an entirely different flavor is the Pixies. The CD's suck, the albums are OK quality. Most of their videos sound quality sucks so I won't link... I saw them live in 2013 or so in San Jose - the sound system was amazing. I had a press pass so was able to be front stage for the first 3 songs and the music just went right into you. Literally moved you. That in itself could fill my bucket list. The Pixies were Curt Corbain's (Nirvana) inspiration.

After I left the USA for Europe a friend of mine went to Pixies gig in NY just to record a bootleg cassette for me (she didn't even like them but she knew I did). I still have it somewhere in the garage.

As for Kurt and Pixies influences - he himself said about 'Feels Like Teen Spirit' : 'Basically, I was trying to rip off The Pixies'. I read somewhere ('Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography' I think) that the band debated whether they should include 'Feels Like..' on their breakthrough album - the fact that its riff was borrowed from Pixies seemed too obvious to them!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any such thing as a Pixies CD with a good quality recording? I don't have a record player right now and all my CD's of them suck- very poor recordings.

After I left the USA for Europe a friend of mine went to Pixies gig in NY just to record a bootleg cassette for me (she didn't even like them but she knew I did). I still have it somewhere in the garage.

As for Kurt and Pixies influences - he himself said about 'Feels Like Teen Spirit' : 'Basically, I was trying to rip off The Pixies'. I read somewhere ('Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography' I think) that the band debated whether they should include 'Feels Like..' on their breakthrough album - the fact that its riff was borrowed from Pixies seemed too obvious to them!

Love the Throwing Muses as well. THAT must have been amazing! "Hole in Her Head" is one of their songs with amazing rock energy. I saw them in Boston, I think in the 90's, but the 2 together? Great!

Are there any Pixies CD's that are good recordings? The Albums are great, the CD's suck. And, do you know how the Muses' CD's sound? I still have their albums in storage but no record player right now.

I would recommend seeing the Pixies live again. They still have it. If you're on the west coast, I'd recommend seeing them in San Jose. A couple of the venues there have state of the art sound systems. OOPS, NO, I guess you're in France. BUT, they are playing in Europe right now I think.

I have seen the Pixies on a double with Throwing Muses in 1988. Most intriguing, I thought then.

A year after I saw at the same venue, called Batschkapp, Midnight Oil for their Beds are Burning tour. The most energetic performance I ever saw. Peter Garrett, not only being 2 m tall, was absolutely outstanding. I recently read an article on the 40th Anniversary of that venue, where the owner as well singled out their performance. Have seen 1000+ concerts in 80/90s, but this one together with RATM in a smaller venue in Hamburg were absolutely thrilling.

I recall inviting 4 friends of mine for my 25th Birthday to the Midnight Oil 1990 tour, which was ok, but far away from the 1989 performance.

Cheers Tom