IGNORED

MIT Startup Looking for feedback on Home Stereo System

Greetings!

I'm a grad student at MIT, and I'm working with a startup here that's developing a new high-end home stereo system. We're looking for feedback on the latest features of the system, and would love for you to take this quick 5-minute survey. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the survey or the technology we're developing, so do don't hesitate to ask!

https://dsc4026.sawtoothsoftware.com/xYXqPLYNTC/cgi-bin/ciwweb.pl?studyname=xYXqPLYNTC

-Ben

I've just finished your questionnaire.

In my opinion price should reflect the performance potential of the equipment and since no description of the system is made replying is not very easy.

I.e. Small to midsized 2 way standmounts have intrinsic limited potential unless partnered with subs and this should be reflected in the price not just within the product range of a particular manufacturer but market wise, no matter who makes it (Wilson, Magico, etc.)

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Thanks for the feedback! Totally understand, it's really impossible (and quite unfair) to ask someone to assess something like this over an online survey this vague. As you've pointed out, the best way to assess "high-end" is by sound quality (which we can't replicate here) or price, but I'd hate to bias the results of the survey since price is part of the survey. Suffice it to say that this system will be very comparable in sound quality to high-end consumer stereo systems and some professional setups.

We have a number of promising tech developments (wireless transmission that doesn't exhibit the loss in quality with compressed files, room correction that can be adjusted via software, etc), and are looking for feedback on what features people are willing to trade-off and at what value so we can appropriately focus our R&D on what matters to the end users the most.

Hi

I filled out the survey. I answered all the questions.

IMO, the option of DRC in the various choices was a a bit unrealistic. If an audiophile spending between $18000-30000 on a system wanted DRC and the system he liked didn't include it or was much too expensive for him, he would add DRC himself.

Audiophiles (at least the ones here interested in DRC) are all aware that good DRC can be done with an existing laptop and software that is either free (if you are very geeky) or costs no more than a few hundred bucks, or with an extra "box" than can also be bought for relatively sane amounts. Price deltas of $6000 for DRC aren't very realistic - at least for those that are price sensitive.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think you have to make a strategic decision about whether you want to cater to stupid rich superstitious people who you can sucker into spending large sums of cash, or cater to relatively savvy audiophiles who are going to be asking for value, even with a high price tag. In other words, for example, DRC is something I would want, but many people either view as a negative, or at least want some sort of convincing evidence that it is implemented optimally. Would your version of DRC be superior to what you can purchase from Dirac or one of the other commercial vendors who would charge a few hundred dollars (vs. what would presumably be a significant part of that $18K to $30K)?

Filled out the survey but don't think it is meaningful so answers are random-

1) what do you have?

2) what does it uniquely do?

3) why is it better than what is available?

4) at what cost?

Do you have a holodeck that sounds real? Otherwise I'll probably pass...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I think you have to make a strategic decision about whether you want to cater to stupid rich superstitious people who you can sucker into spending large sums of cash, or cater to relatively savvy audiophiles who are going to be asking for value, even with a high price tag. In other words, for example, DRC is something I would want, but many people either view as a negative, or at least want some sort of convincing evidence that it is implemented optimally. Would your version of DRC be superior to what you can purchase from Dirac or one of the other commercial vendors who would charge a few hundred dollars (vs. what would presumably be a significant part of that $18K to $30K)?

Continuing on this topic. I suggest targeting the super rich superstitious. You will make more money. You may find that distasteful. If the company works out well, you can always trickle down real benefits if you aren't addicted to the income by then.

Or in different words, be the smart engineer.

spinal_tap_amps.png

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'm a grad student at MIT, and I'm working with a startup here that's developing a new high-end home stereo system. We're looking for feedback on the latest features of the system, and would love for you to take this quick 5-minute survey. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the survey or the technology we're developing, so do don't hesitate to ask!
I thought the use of numbing feature/price permutations was annoying. Why not just ask us to rank the importance of features and indicate whether we would spend more for one or another?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

This looks like a psych project to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I filled out the survey to.

IMO, there is no such thing as uncompromised wireless transmission when it comes to HiEnd audio. Dropouts are the least thing to be concerned about as most half respectable wireless routers these days are capable of at least 50m a sec on a bad day and the playback of the highest resolution files available use no more than 30m a sec, give or take.

With that said, I would certainly include a wireless option but I would not base the whole system on wireless only as a means to get the signal from point A to B. There a too many folks still in the camp that Wired is better, and for good reason, it is and I don't see that changing. Wireless use for timing critical applications like audio playback is the wrong tool for the job, IMO of course.

The remote support option will appeal to the masses and there is nothing wrong with having it as a selling point but I would make that as an ala cart item and not baked in to the price by default.

The DRC option is nice assuming it's done correctly, in the digital domain, before the signal has ever been converted to Analog. Ideally the DRC intelegence would be able to handle an Input signal up to DSD128 without needing to down convert it to 24/96 first before it can apply any of the DRC tweaks. Ideally the signal would leave the DRC/Corection circuit Intact in terms of the bit rate that it entered the DRC circuit. I haven't seen this happen yet with anything on the market today so if you can pull that off folks will be impressed for sure.

I think a better option for an Audiophile based project would be to come up with a way to transmit AC power (i.e...electric current) across an air gap or some other physically unconnected means without limiting the current, so that an audio component connected to such a contraption could be totally off grid from the power company and the noise that goes with it. Of course this would also require an isolated grounding system that is miniaturized and not dependent on the already in place grounding system of the home or listening room. Think coffee can or bread box sized device that has a resistance to ground inside the box only a few ohms or less that can handle as many volts as the wall can supply(i.e... Black hole ground for lack of a better term).

If your up to the challenge you may be able to light your cigars with $100 bills afterwards :)

I think a better option for an Audiophile based project would be to come up with a way to transmit AC power (i.e...electric current) across an air gap or some other physically unconnected means without limiting the current

It's called a transformer.

Ok smart guy,,why don’t you educate me then? I happen to have one right here in front of me (Torus RM20) and its definitely tied to the primary service ground via the the third prong of the AC outlet. Maybe that connection is for decoration only?

The safety ground isn't part of the transformer.

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings!

https://dsc4026.sawtoothsoftware.com/xYXqPLYNTC/cgi-bin/ciwweb.pl?studyname=xYXqPLYNTC

-Ben

I think high end stereo is an oxymoron. Why would anyone at MIT want to invest in a retro start up? Aren't you guys supposed to be tech oriented? Look where the "puck" is going, not where it's been.

IMO Devialet has a good idea in developing small active speakers (phantom) but they are targeting the 2 channel market.

Why not come up with small active speakers that go down to 70 HZ for use with a sub?

Make them easy to use for desktop, living room and HT and you have a nice market. Offerings from Dynaudio, Vanatoo and Devialet include dacs inside the speaker. Skip that route, too expensive and most people buying speakers have a dac already.