IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

On 12/26/2017 at 4:30 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

It has a wireless functionality.

Being able act as a Roon end point would be nice, but suspect it may just be Bluetooth capability as available in other iFii audio products.  Wil be interesting to see what pans out.

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Preview – Pro series - part 3/5

Even more jaw-dropping features

Hi-Res Network Audio

1.png.f08d3facca49cde98b82267eb886a281.png 

As the flagship in iFi Audio’s formidable fleet of DACs, the iDSD Pro is extremely highly specified. In addition to traditional inputs, it features:

• WiFi/network playback system with leading streaming services (see below)
  • MQA decoding onboard for the maximum quality of playback via MQA music files or streaming. 
  • Wide protocol support including Airplay and USB Memory/Hard Drive/SD Card playback to make a full standalone streamer/network audio player with 32 Bit/192kHz & DSD64 support.

The iDSD Pro gives you plenty of options for playing music online. Here are a few of them:

1. Play direct from SD card
  2. Airplay Network Audio Playback from iPhone, iPad, Mac Computers
  3. Use Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) to playback from smartphones, tablets and Windows/Linux computers
  4. Stream playback from Amazon Music, Audible, Spotify, TIDAL, Napster, Spotify Connect, and QQPlayer
  5. Playback from Hard disk drive, USB Memory or SDHC Memory Card
  6. Playback from Network Attached Storage (NAS)

2.png.c3b21acc8084a79ff832a82c4d9ba800.png

Zero Jitter for all inputs

For all inputs data is sent to the aforementioned Memory Buffer, which iFi describes as ‘large’ and ‘elastic’. Here it is de-jittered to eliminate any transmission of source jitter to the DAC output. The data from the Memory Buffer is further re-clocked by with the low-jitter Global Master Timing® clock, which also drives the X-Core 200 & FPGA.

Click on this more information on iFi’s jitter solution:

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_jitter.html

Studio Remastering

While the X-Core 200 is favourable for USB Audio, AES/EBU/SPDIF decoding and decoding MQA, DSD, it is not the best platform for DSP, digital filters and PCM-to-DSD conversion. This is where the iDSD Pro’s Studio DSD Remastering system comes in. It excels at handling the Upsampling and Digital Filter duties and has at its heart the Crysopeia FPGA Digital Engine for digital filtering and PCM to DSD remastering, up to DSD1024.

3.png.d67afd6398e85028b2977fd87ad648b8.png

Upsampling in hardware, on board has enabled iFi Audio to overcome the current USB limitation of DSD512 as well as implement multiple filters optimised for specific time-domain behaviour, including that of the DAC and Analogue stage, a level of optimisation not possible in generic software upconversion (as found in Foobar et al).

The five filters available are:

1. ‘Bit-Perfect’              No digital filtering is applied, 1 Tap
  2. ‘Bit-Perfect+’            No digital filtering is applied, 1 Tap
  3. ‘Minimum Phase’     Minimum filtering, no pre-ringing, minimum post ringing, 32 Taps
  4. ‘Apodising’                Modest filtering, no pre-ringing, modest post ringing, 128 Taps
  5. ‘Transient Aligned’   Max filtering, max Pre-Ringing, maximum Post-Ringing, 16,384 Taps

Stay tuned, there's more!

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 12/28/2017 at 4:20 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Preview – Pro series - part 3/5

Even more jaw-dropping features

Hi-Res Network Audio

1.png.f08d3facca49cde98b82267eb886a281.png 

As the flagship in iFi Audio’s formidable fleet of DACs, the iDSD Pro is extremely highly specified. In addition to traditional inputs, it features:

• WiFi/network playback system with leading streaming services (see below)
  • MQA decoding onboard for the maximum quality of playback via MQA music files or streaming. 
  • Wide protocol support including Airplay and USB Memory/Hard Drive/SD Card playback to make a full standalone streamer/network audio player with 32 Bit/192kHz & DSD64 support.

The iDSD Pro gives you plenty of options for playing music online. Here are a few of them:

1. Play direct from SD card
  2. Airplay Network Audio Playback from iPhone, iPad, Mac Computers
  3. Use Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) to playback from smartphones, tablets and Windows/Linux computers
  4. Stream playback from Amazon Music, Audible, Spotify, TIDAL, Napster, Spotify Connect, and QQPlayer
  5. Playback from Hard disk drive, USB Memory or SDHC Memory Card
  6. Playback from Network Attached Storage (NAS)

2.png.c3b21acc8084a79ff832a82c4d9ba800.png

Zero Jitter for all inputs

For all inputs data is sent to the aforementioned Memory Buffer, which iFi describes as ‘large’ and ‘elastic’. Here it is de-jittered to eliminate any transmission of source jitter to the DAC output. The data from the Memory Buffer is further re-clocked by with the low-jitter Global Master Timing® clock, which also drives the X-Core 200 & FPGA.

Click on this more information on iFi’s jitter solution:

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_jitter.html

Studio Remastering

While the X-Core 200 is favourable for USB Audio, AES/EBU/SPDIF decoding and decoding MQA, DSD, it is not the best platform for DSP, digital filters and PCM-to-DSD conversion. This is where the iDSD Pro’s Studio DSD Remastering system comes in. It excels at handling the Upsampling and Digital Filter duties and has at its heart the Crysopeia FPGA Digital Engine for digital filtering and PCM to DSD remastering, up to DSD1024.

3.png.d67afd6398e85028b2977fd87ad648b8.png

Upsampling in hardware, on board has enabled iFi Audio to overcome the current USB limitation of DSD512 as well as implement multiple filters optimised for specific time-domain behaviour, including that of the DAC and Analogue stage, a level of optimisation not possible in generic software upconversion (as found in Foobar et al).

The five filters available are:

1. ‘Bit-Perfect’              No digital filtering is applied, 1 Tap
  2. ‘Bit-Perfect+’            No digital filtering is applied, 1 Tap
  3. ‘Minimum Phase’     Minimum filtering, no pre-ringing, minimum post ringing, 32 Taps
  4. ‘Apodising’                Modest filtering, no pre-ringing, modest post ringing, 128 Taps
  5. ‘Transient Aligned’   Max filtering, max Pre-Ringing, maximum Post-Ringing, 16,384 Taps

Stay tuned, there's more!

Well, hopefully Roon end point capability will only be something along the lines of a firmware update in the future.... going through all AMR/iFi has done to make the unit Airplay (which is limited to 16/44 right?), DLNA, Spotify, tidal etc network capable and not giving the unit the ability to be a Roon end point  does not make great sense to me (for a DAC of this caliber). Looking forward to reading more about the tube/as output stage/design (and maybe a rear panel pic would be nice too so we can see the pile of inputs and outputs this thing has).

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

1 minute ago, RichB said:

Well, hopefully Roon end point capability will only be something along the lines of a firmware update in the future.... going through all AMR/iFi has done to make the unit Airplay (which is limited to 16/44 right?), DLNA, Spotify, tidal etc network capable and not giving the unit the ability to be a Roon end point  does not make great sense to me (for a DAC of this caliber). Looking forward to reading more about the tube/as output stage/design (and maybe a rear panel pic would be nice too so we can see the pile of inputs and outputs this thing has).

Network infrastructure is one thing we don't control in 100%. Roon viable on Pro iDSD might happen one day, that's all we have to say in this matter for now.

21 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The USB Input is self-powered and does not draw power from the USB bus, making it impervious to after-market add-ons or tuning accessories.

I don't know about that.  My QB-9 DSD USB input was self-powered, and it responded very positively to the Uptone Audio REGEN.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, rickca said:

I don't know about that.  My QB-9 DSD USB input was self-powered, and it responded very positively to the Uptone Audio REGEN.

Not every USB input, self-powered or not, is the same. 

On 05/10/2016 at 5:26 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

UPDATE!!!

We have some major news to share. First of all, the Pro iDSD premiere date:

The 15th of February 2018

We don't expect any difficulties along the road towards this day. Yet if some shifts will occur, we'll update this very post to keep you good CA people properly informed.

And secondly, the Pro iDSD retail price:

• $2,499 (ex-tax)
  • €2,999 (inc vat)
  • £2,499 (inc vat)

Not bad at all gents!

I assume at this price and by your earlier comments about USB (and SPDIF) inputs being impervious to upstream tweaks & add ons, that the PRO iDSD contains ALL of the micro iUSB3.0 and iGalvanic3.0 and SPDIF iPurifier tech, all built in?

Cheers!

46 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Not bad at all gents!

I assume at this price and by your earlier comments about USB (and SPDIF) inputs being impervious to upstream tweaks & add ons, that the PRO iDSD contains ALL of the micro iUSB3.0 and iGalvanic3.0 and SPDIF iPurifier tech, all built in?

Cheers!

Items like the iUSB3.0 or iGalvanic3.0 are add-ons for DACs that - due to cost constraints or other reasons - benefit from them. But our items you've mentioned are ideally avoided in the design stage if increased cost and complexity is not objectionable.

If one designs a DAC from scratch, yet without constraints placed upon the design, it is possible to achieve equal or better performance by design.

This is what has been done in the iDSD Pro. The solutions chosen in our upcoming flagship are radically different from those used in iUSB3.0 and iGalvanic3.0 and are integrated in the design of the iDSD Pro on a much deeper level than would have been the case by just adding the tech from other products.

17 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

If one designs a DAC from scratch, yet without constraints placed upon the design, it is possible to achieve equal or better performance by design. This is what has been done in the iDSD Pro.

Great stuff gents.

Can you share some more info on the power supply section and analogue section - in part 5/5 perhaps.

Thanks Gents! @AMR/iFi audio

Wow, super impressive stuff.

Just to double check, WiFi and ethernet inputs both support up to 32/192 and DSD64?

I don't know of many DACs out there that support DSD256 via ethernet input so I assume it's tricky and expensive to do well.

Are these the same reasons the PRO iDSD's networked inputs are limited in sample rate support, compared with the USB inputs?

Very impressive on paper. It checks every audiophile box. Too bad I'm not in the market for a DAC -  I'd probably buy one! :)

It will be interesting to read consumer and pro reviews when they arrive and if listeners feel this DAC is better than more expensive ones. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 1/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, Em2016 said:

Thanks Gents! @AMR/iFi audio

Wow, super impressive stuff.

Just to double check, WiFi and ethernet inputs both support up to 32/192 and DSD64?

I don't know of many DACs out there that support DSD256 via ethernet input so I assume it's tricky and expensive to do well.

Are these the same reasons the PRO iDSD's networked inputs are limited in sample rate support, compared with the USB inputs?

From reading the iDSD Pro specs, which states that for DSD/DXD/ or PCM above 24/192 - its looks like LinkPlay (Ethernet or WiFi) only does PCM up to 24/192 and does not support DSD (did not see anything on LinkPlays site about DSD/DXD support). Apple AirPlay is PCM only too... I think it can support up to 24/192 (that is if the source supports it).

So, for those looking to stream via Ethernet or WiFi (direct to the iDSD Pro), its looks like you are limited to PCM and leave it to the iDSD pro to convert it to DSD via its Studio Remastering function/mode. That will be a bummer thought for those who have a lot of DSD/DXD source material and want to stream via Ethernet to the iDSD Pro... they will need to  use a renderer with USB output to the iDSD Pro that supports DSD/DXD data/rates.

I'm sure iFi Audio will clarify things further (especially if I'm wrong about any of this. :-)  )

I am curious to know how the single ended analog output is generated... derived from the balanced output???

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

19 minutes ago, RichB said:

its looks like LinkPlay (Ethernet or WiFi) only does PCM up to 24/192 and does not support DSD (did not see anything on LinkPlays site about DSD/DXD support). Apple AirPlay is PCM only too... I think it can support up to 24/192 (that is if the source supports it).

Yep. DSD64 (via DoP) is supported also.

I was more interested in knowing what the limitations were during the iFi design process, looking at higher sample rate support over the network, to allow DSD256 (for example) over the network.

As I mentioned, very few DACs support this so I assume it's tricky and expensive to do well. Just wanted to know iFi's thoughts. 

Perhaps a network interface supporting DSD256 and PCM384 (or higher) will come in the PRO iDSD Black Label edition !

Impressive features.. I'm eager to listen one! :)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Very Impressive and considering the phenomenal price/ performance ratio of the cheap ifi dac amps I presume this dac will be killer.. Not without a price though.. At 3000eur approximately It is also very very close to the AMR dac.

In fact if someone has that sum available in cash the only thing from stopping them from going straight to the AMR 777 is it's much poorer format support. So will you update this as well I am not asking about the price as It is sure to go higher with any update..

Finally a personal comment. Even though at this price it is not realistically, financially  approachable by me at this point of my audiophile life I can't help but saying that If it had an Iphono2 incorporated instead of the tube output stage It would surely make me lose a few hours of sleep. So are there any plans for such a version anytime in the future?

Thanks for all the fun guys by a black label micro owner!..