IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

Right, about that PRO iDSD thingy people talk about lately?

IT! IS! HEEEEREEEEE!

Well, almost. OK, as per usual, we can't give too much specifics, teasers will have to do the trick today... But let's take it one day at a time and dang, things are going to get heavy. Stay with us just a little longer!

Pro iDSD 1 (1).png

Juicy details are to be served very soon. In the meantime, ENJOY!

UPDATE!!!

We have some major news to share. First of all, the Pro iDSD premiere date:

The 15th of February 2018

We don't expect any difficulties along the road towards this day. Yet if some shifts will occur, we'll update this very post to keep you good CA people properly informed.

And secondly, the Pro iDSD retail price:

• $2,499 (ex-tax)
  • €2,999 (inc vat)
  • £2,499 (inc vat)

Additionally, this thread will serve as the official Pro iDSD repository, which means that every publication (or its location link) related to this device will be listed in this thread for as easy access as possible.

1. Our take on digital filters

• How iFi audio sees digital filtering in general.

2. Digital filters/options in our Pro iDSD

• Explanation of how and what is upsampled in the Pro iDSD.

Tech talk

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Major GE5670 related announcement

Pro iDSD front panel 

Part 1:

Part 2:

Pro iDSD - The GTO filter  

Part 1/4 (and the 5.3C FW release announcement):

Pro iDSD - The MQA firmware 

FW 2.01:

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

So we'll be able to get the full rundown this weekend in Denver, right?

--David

P.S. Brits say "Dang!" these days? Whatever is the world coming to?

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

So we'll be able to get the full rundown this weekend in Denver, right?

--David

We'll show a thing or two there, yes.

P.S. Brits say "Dang!" these days? Whatever is the world coming to?

We sometimes do. That's the effect of running global operation :)

What is THAT on the bottom of that stack of gear??!?!?! I see binding posts on it! Is that a power amplifier in a "Pro" series chassis???? Maybe a "iAmp Pro"????

And we have some goodies from RMAF!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29618[/ATTACH]

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

What is THAT on the bottom of that stack of gear??!?!?! I see binding posts on it! Is that a power amplifier in a "Pro" series chassis???? Maybe a "iAmp Pro"????

It's our iEnergiser. This is an amplifier dedicated to work with electrostatic headphones.

And I guess it's high time to let Pro iDSD skeleton out of our closet!

7.JPG

You guys at IFI clearly know how to create innovative products. But do yourselves a favor and get a marketing department that performs at the same level.

This slow drip of product feature announcements is childish and insulting to prospective and existing customers. If you have something new, tell us what it is. If not, don't waste our time and attention.

There are many other vendors that communicate clearly with their customers and are happy to take our money.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

You guys at IFI clearly know how to create innovative products. But do yourselves a favor and get a marketing department that performs at the same level.

This slow drip of product feature announcements is childish and insulting to prospective and existing customers. If you have something new, tell us what it is. If not, don't waste our time and attention.

There are many other vendors that communicate clearly with their customers and are happy to take our money.

I couldn't agree more. Pretty sophomoric on their part

I think iFi are just responding to what is demanded by (some people on) forums such as this. iFi aren't willing to fully commit on design, yet people are demanding details again and again. So they trickle / tease what details they are able to. It's the way the internet is working these days.

Other brands (such as Naim) are pretty quiet on plans until they are ready for a full launch. That frustrates people too.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I agree, this whole product, as good as I'm sure it will be, has been a disaster in terms of PR and marketing, either give a decent amount of information or don't, don't try to tease/taunt your customers. Irritating, particularly when we have waited such a ridiculously long time since this product was first talked about (back when it was the Mini)

I agree, this whole product, as good as I'm sure it will be, has been a disaster in terms of PR and marketing, either give a decent amount of information or don't, don't try to tease/taunt your customers. Irritating, particularly when we have waited such a ridiculously long time since this product was first talked about (back when it was the Mini)

These pre-announcements are a well known marketing tactic. Have a read here on the business benefits and risks of pre-announcements:

https://books.google.com/books?id=8LJwaPuuQagC&pg=PA421&lpg=PA421&dq=technology+pre+announce+products&source=bl&ots=lyrtnnrg0j&sig=pI_lvSoe_SxEKLJM4uRH4Qa-jI4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju9_mi-83PAhUHCcAKHWdkAdAQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=technology%20pre%20announce%20products&f=false

I quite enjoy it. Though not so much the wait. It is not like they took our money and keep delaying. And we asked for so many things and they added it in. The iCan has been out for a few months. Why the grumpy and quite ass like comments. Everyone here knows better. Go read some other forum if you are upset. People are never happy even if they haven't paid a cent. There are plenty E books on keyboard warriors.

Alright, to make it a bit more clear, this is how it works on our end:

Yes, we could be silent about upcoming products, that's one way of handling these. But it was decided long time ago that this is not our approach. We want to involve people and make them interested. Moving on, we share what we currently can. Yes, in a teasing fashion, which might be seen by some of you as childisch and that's understandable to a degree. From one perspective this is a marketing related attitude, but on the other end we share what we can and when we are certain that things in our skunkworks are on required quality level. We want to share small bits of informations because:

a.) It makes you guys and girls interested

b.) You know that things are on the move at our camp

TLDR: we can't give out every detail right away. But we deliver what we can!

Stay strong and be positive!

Alright, to make it a bit more clear, this is how it works on our end:

Yes, we could be silent about upcoming products, that's one way of handling these. But it was decided long time ago that this is not our approach. We want to involve people and make them interested. Moving on, we share what we currently can. Yes, in a teasing fashion, which might be seen by some of you as childisch and that's understandable to a degree. From one perspective this is a marketing related attitude, but on the other end we share what we can and when we are certain that things in our skunkworks are on required quality level. We want to share small bits of informations because:

a.) It makes you guys and girls interested

b.) You know that things are on the move at our camp

TLDR: we can't give out every detail right away, in pre-premiere stage. But we deliver what we can!

Stay strong and be positive!

Well I hope the iDSD ships in my lifetime unlike the deceased IFI fanboy shown above.