IGNORED

Best windows software player

No. I have pressed that matter.

Bummer....wishful hoping.

How is ROON able to and not jriver? was ROON customized specifically for HQPLAYER? Regardless i will never pay $500 for a subpar SQ player, and not going to buy two players for $700...so doesn't really matter. Maybe alchemy is a worthy front end....i will research that...and in the mean time Miska said he will add the functionality i was seeking in next release...so that may be enough for me....i am not going to pay $700 to see Miles Davis biography on my player.

How is ROON able to and not jriver? was ROON customized specifically for HQPLAYER? Regardless i will never pay $500 for a subpar SQ player, and not going to buy two players for $700...so doesn't really matter. Maybe alchemy is a worthy front end....i will research that...and in the mean time Miska said he will add the functionality i was seeking in next release...so that may be enough for me....i am not going to pay $700 to see Miles Davis biography on my player.

Have a look also at Muso with HQPlayer if it fits your bill

http://klarita.net/muso.html

Have a look also at Muso with HQPlayer if it fits your bill

http://klarita.net/muso.html

Interesting...at first look, this appears as a better interface than alchemy.

How much is 20 euros?

Can you post a quickstart guide for use with HQPlayer?

----

update....

Decided to give it a whirl...before i go ANY further, i went to options and see a section for file formats, and these are listed by default...

.mp3 .mp4 .m4a .flac .ogg .ape

Before i go further, does it support DSD files?

If not, it's a non-starter for me.

I would hope that it would support whatever the player supports, and I know hqplayer supports DSD, so fingers are crossed.

If we get passed that, i also noticed where i can pick the player, but it didn't have HQPlayer listed..just said none connected and HQPLayer is currently running, so what is the trick there? I hate reading manuals (grin).

Interesting...at first look, this appears as a better interface than alchemy.

How much is 20 euros?

Can you post a quickstart guide for use with HQPlayer?

----

update....

Decided to give it a whirl...before i go ANY further, i went to options and see a section for file formats, and these are listed by default...

.mp3 .mp4 .m4a .flac .ogg .ape

Before i go further, does it support DSD files?

If not, it's a non-starter for me.

I would hope that it would support whatever the player supports, and I know hqplayer supports DSD, so fingers are crossed.

If we get passed that, i also noticed where i can pick the player, but it didn't have HQPlayer listed..just said none connected and HQPLayer is currently running, so what is the trick there? I hate reading manuals (grin).

You just add "DSF" to the file formats

This is a thread from NextHardware.com where you can find valuable indications (translated from IT to EN)

Muso - a library manager for HQPlayer in Windows

Yes Roon has been customized to interface with HQplayer. The pair work together very well. I use Roon and HQplayer to up-sample all my music files to DSD512.

Also, Roon can be rented for $119 per year and the subscription can be cancelled at anytime.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Yes Roon has been customized to interface with HQplayer. The pair work together very well. I use Roon and HQplayer to up-sample all my music files to DSD512.

Also, Roon can be rented for $119 per year and the subscription can be cancelled at anytime.

will never do a subscription nor will i ever pay $500...won't happen..not this camp...

^^^^ Since i have paid for Jriver, and i like the interface well enough, i think i would like to use jriver to play to hqplayer if that is possible? Not interested though if i would have to "drag" from one to the other...is it possible jriver can be configured where it is a bit more integrated?
Well if it turns out that you can't tell the difference between your NT-503 playing the DSD files and HQPlayer playing the same files through the NT-503's DAC, couldn't you ignore the annoyance that you'll only be using ~5% of JRiver's functions and use its UI (that you like well enough) just as a controller for the NT-503 as a network audio player?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The title of this thread is best Windows software player, not best free Windows software player.

You get what you pay for.

Maybe you should think about more music and less beer. Roon costs less than a case of beer each month.

Well if it turns out that you can't tell the difference between your NT-503 playing the DSD files and HQPlayer playing the same files through the NT-503's DAC, couldn't you ignore the annoyance that you'll only be using ~5% of JRiver's functions and use its UI (that you like well enough) just as a controller for the NT-503 as a network audio player?

Fresh air!

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

That is another option worth consideration... I haven't tried that...definitely worth consideration. I will probably play with MUSO first though...it seemed like an interesting offering. I will do some sq comparisons of both though before i buy muso...but i will buy HQPlayer regardless, once i check out his next release. I really don't mind his interface or any "plain" interface...i don't need to read biographies or see pretty pictures when i want to listen to music....if i wanted pretty pictures i would watch a multichannel 4K bluray. Next release of HQPlayer may be enough for me for my stereo sessions...i already know i like HQplayer's SQ. Also as Miska pointed out, that his product shines when upsampling, so maybe i will try some of my older flacs again....i have been spoiled by native dsd for over a year now....but may revisit the old stuff.

Also, my guess is that it is because of the UPNP protocol that makes the ethernet a little slower in response...the volume didn't work on upplay to the teac either....although the mute would. Not sure if i would have other UPNP issues that i don't experience with direct usb implementation, even using jriver...but definitely a consideration.

The title of this thread is best Windows software player, not best free Windows software player.

You get what you pay for.

Maybe you should think about more music and less beer. Roon costs less than a case of beer each month.

Best is a relative word. Roon is NOT the best by any means. It's SQ is subpar HQPlayer, so if i had to say which is BEST, it would be HQPlayer....Roon may have best gui, but it is NOT the best player. And is NOT the best bang for the buck either. It fails in both those categories (best for buck and best sound)....Now if you want to say what is the best 2 player combo at inflated price, then roon could share that with HQplayer...but on it's own ROON is a non-starter by anyone doing their homework. Anyone that would buy ROON for $500 that doesn't buy HQPLAYER either doesn't want to run 2 players, is non-informed, or cares more about pictures than SQ.

Best is a relative word. Roon is NOT the best by any means. It's SQ is subpar HQPlayer, so if i had to say which is BEST, it would be HQPlayer....Roon may have best gui, but it is NOT the best player. And is NOT the best bang for the buck either. It fails in both those categories (best for buck and best sound)....Now if you want to say what is the best 2 player combo at inflated price, then roon could share that with HQplayer...but on it's own ROON is a non-starter by anyone doing their homework. Anyone that would buy ROON for $500 that doesn't buy HQPLAYER either doesn't want to run 2 players, is non-informed, or cares more about pictures than SQ.

Pricing judgements aside, it is the combination of ROON plus HQplayer that leverages the best in class metadata and user interface of Roon with the unsurpassed SQ of HQplayer.

I am grateful that both companies made the choice to work together to create this best in class solution, a solution neither company could have achieved without this partnership. This shows that the owners of these companies are committed to excellence. By placing quality first they choose to give consumers this unique option.

Nevertheless it is indeed more expensive as both companies need compensation. That seems fair enough to me. I am happy to pay more for products of this quality.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Pricing judgements aside, it is the combination of ROON plus HQplayer that leverages the best in class metadata and user interface of Roon with the unsurpassed SQ of HQplayer.

I am grateful that both companies made the choice to work together to create this best in class solution, a solution neither company could have achieved without this partnership. This shows that the owners of these companies are committed to excellence. By placing quality first they choose to give consumers this unique option.

Nevertheless it is indeed more expensive as both companies need compensation. That seems fair enough to me. I am happy to pay more for products of this quality.

Many people don't want to run 2 players...but i won't argue that for $700, some configuration settings, running of 2 players, you probably have the best available today...or you can use hqplayer and have the best SQ for $200, or $200+ for HQplayer/muso and have best SQ.

I just don't want to spend $700 AND have to run 2 players....i plan to try HQPlayer/muso for $200+...but would love it if a single player could come along for $200 that had a "decent" gui and rivals Hqplayers SQ...that is my quest.

^^^ no problem..i just didn't want anyone to think that i would not seriously consider any offering available that someone suggested. I am serious in my quest that meets this criteria:

1. single player

2. controllable from windows

3. supports native dsd

4. rivals SQ of HQPlayer

5. under $300

I am sure we will get there...it may take a year or two...but we will get there.