IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I think he was mentioned before, in other treads. Long ago, like 15 years ago, I had this CD, Electric Sufi, but in certain moment I find out I can not listen it anymore. His recent album from this year is much less irritating, imho.

I'm not a big fan as well. There are definitely better oud players than him but listen to eg the beginning of the 'Birds Requiem' album - his vocal can be impressive!

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Is Mongolian Rock all based in the towns?

I know those guys have been packing sat TV dishes and generators on yaks since the 1980s but I have to wonder how they get up a rock band/music with the physical isolation involved in nomadism?

Ulaanbaatar, capital of Mongolia has population of more than 1mln. Its international airport is named after Chingis Khan, who was founder of Mongol Empire, largest state in the history.

My first thought when I heard 'Yuve Yuve Yu' for the first time was - 'Mongolian Sisters Of Mercy' (the band) (and not 'Mongolian The Who' :)) The song is pretty catchy anyway. The second one was - 'I'd like to own one of those instruments' :D

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Ulaanbaatar, capital of Mongolia has population of more than 1mln.

I bet The Hu easily fill up stadiums there.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

I have to wonder how they get up a rock band/music with the physical isolation involved in nomadism?

Seems that nowadays Mongolian nomadism may be in one way or another connected with owning a Harley Davidson..

• 2 weeks later...

This could have fit too many places. Before being hipsterized into a pop icon his guitar rock was recognized as world music. The type with deep political and mortal consequence. He went back home and self recorded this by the grace of the king of Morocco. 

This is what some wordy purveyor of culture and taste had to say about a man who's bandmates were abducted and killed for their music. Forcing him down the road towards pop stardom.  

"...he resembled what “Purple Rain”-era Prince might have looked like if Minneapolis were closer to North Africa than North Dakota. His guitar playing was nearly as incendiary as the Purple One, too"

FFS, the music is actually a decent spin on rock & roll. I'd actually pay to stand in a small club among the unwashed masses for what is undoubtedly a good live show. Just not in Williamsburg or MN. 

41 minutes ago, rando said:

This could have fit too many places. Before being hipsterized into a pop icon his guitar rock was recognized as world music. The type with deep political and mortal consequence. He went back home and self recorded this by the grace of the king of Morocco. 

This is what some wordy purveyor of culture and taste had to say about a man who's bandmates were abducted and killed for their music. Forcing him down the road towards pop stardom.  

"...he resembled what “Purple Rain”-era Prince might have looked like if Minneapolis were closer to North Africa than North Dakota. His guitar playing was nearly as incendiary as the Purple One, too"

FFS, the music is actually a decent spin on rock & roll. I'd actually pay to stand in a small club among the unwashed masses for what is undoubtedly a good live show. Just not in Williamsburg or MN. 

I bought his 'Azel' album after (I think) @Jud had recommended it on this thread. But your post has reminded me to check out his latest one, so thanks!

17 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

This is probably the first time I find didgeridoo music fascinating. Probably quite far from its aboriginal roots but what a rhythmic flow!

It's alright I guess. No Alphorn, but they seem more into being a double threat than pursuing the heights of musicianship or formal dress.  :)

4 minutes ago, rando said:

It's alright I guess. No Alphorn, but they seem more into being a double threat than pursuing the heights of musicianship or formal dress.  :)

Not an alphorn but these don't look like regular didgeridoos either to me.

One more thing - as for an alphorn subwoofer, beware - never connect it out of phase, it might suck you in..;)

I posted some recordings of the bands associated with John Zorn's Tzadik label and inspired by Hasidic folk about 2 years ago. Some more Tzadik recordings as I'm the label's fan :)

Nerija.

This year’s winners of the Jazz Newcomer Parliamentary Jazz Award 2017 and Jazz FM Breakthrough Act of the Year 2016 nominees, Nerija are are a collective of London-based musicians playing exciting and original music inspired by Jazz, Hip Hop, Afrobeat and South African Township.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Nice, but very odd how she changes her blouse from white to black about 20 times throughout the piece. x-D

Maybe it was supposed to have some spiritual meaning (you know - yin vs yang etc) or maybe changing blouses is just very trendy nowadays in Beijing. Anyway it probably didn't cost her much, I bet they were Chinese ;)

C'mon,.. just concentrate on the beauty of her ..music! B|