IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

14 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Turn on sub titles for the English translation of the lyrics.

I really enjoyed that and hope to listen to a bit more later.

Have you ever listened to the Sabri Brothers qawwali music. Different spiritual culture but similarly devotional in intent.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Anyway I'm not sure that they'd be able to do it without some trance inducing substances.. x-D

@christopher3393 To make things clear - I always liked music surprises, so I really appreciate this post. Actually I listened to it (different fragments) for 4 or 5 minutes (but I have to admit that first I made sure there was noone around..:D)

Similar idea to Tuvan throat singing, which I like a lot. I guess not much else to do during those long winter nights in your yurt except explore the musical limits of your sinus cavity?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

24 minutes ago, mourip said:

Have you ever listened to the Sabri Brothers qawwali music. Different spiritual culture but similarly devotional in intent.

Thanks but no I haven't really heard them before.  Looked them up ... but not my taste.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 9:56 AM, mourip said:

Similar idea to Tuvan throat singing, which I like a lot. I guess not much else to do during those long winter nights in your yurt except explore the musical limits of your sinus cavity?

I keep trying to convince my wife to think of my loud snoring as “sinus music” and to enjoy the late night “concerts.”  

Dirty looks and banishment to the couch is the reception to that. :P

Perhaps if we were Inuit and lived in a yurt she would be more, er, in-u-it.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

loud snoring indicates that a sleep analysis needs to be done - a CPAP is in your future

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

As far as I remember this was Michael Stipe of REM who said :

Everybody snores sometimes... 

Ok, let's change the main topic of this thread for a moment to 'Amazing Snoring of the World' :)

(I think @Ralf11 will agree a CPAP is in their future too)

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

if he has it, he needs to deal with it and quickly

Well you will pleased to know that my appointment with the ear/nose/throat doctor was today (two hours in the waiting room tried my patience).  I addressed a range of concerns with him (sinus issues, tinnitus, smell that only I smell), including my snoring and apnea.  Got the referral for the obligatory “sleep study,” which fortunately these days can be done at home with small recording equipment they loan you.

So I’m making progress towards a CPAP machine.  Thankfully the new ones are small, quiet, and comfortable.  9_9

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well you will pleased to know that my appointment with the ear/nose/throat doctor was today (two hours in the waiting room tried my patience).  I addressed a range of concerns with him (sinus issues, tinnitus, smell that only I smell), including my snoring and apnea.  Got the referral for the obligatory “sleep study,” which fortunately these days can be done at home with small recording equipment they loan you.

So I’m making progress towards a CPAP machine.  Thankfully the new ones are small, quiet, and comfortable.  9_9

Hi Alex,

Good decision, but you still need the full Apnea exam (one night in the clinic) to determine the type of Apnea and the regulation of the CPAP machine.
With regard to the mask, if any is completely comfortable, there are places where they are made to measure.
At first it takes a bit of getting used to (more or less like sleeping with the mother-in-law ?), but later you do not want to sleep without her (the mask).

Good luck,

Roch

On 6/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, Ralf11 said:

if he has it, he needs to deal with it and quickly

You mean Superdad, the dormhouse or the hummingbird?

On 6/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, Ralf11 said:

sphinx - this is potentially an extremely serious medical problem

But seriously - I believe you. Some guys snore in a way which makes me think they fight the whole world in a sleep. I think it's the worst kind of snoring for someone sleeping beside them or behind a not so solid wall. As far as I know I snore every now and then but I don't care that much, you know - die young! ;)

On 6/18/2018 at 10:48 PM, accwai said:

The Noh play Shakkyō, a.k.a. Stone Bridge:

Last time I listened to No theater music was many years ago and it was unacceptable for me back then but it seems I got to give it another try.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:23 AM, Nikhil said:

The visual aspect idea is very simple but at the same time quite eye-catching but more importantly - what one can hear here is some serious playing and singing. Thx for this!

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

The visual aspect idea is very simple but at the same time quite eye-catching but more importantly - what one can hear here is some serious playing and singing. Thx for this!

Google "Manganiar" for more info on these "desert musicians".

Thanks to a few organizations the have now gained recognition internationally.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

On 6/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, sphinxsix said:

Last time I listened to No theater music was many years ago and it was unacceptable for me back then but it seems I got to give it another try. [...]

Noh is steeped in tradition, so it could be difficult. And worst, of the four aspects of Noh, i.e. music, choreography, literature (text), dramatic effects (costumes, masks, etc), an audio recording only captures the first. Give it another try. Just know that a big chunk would still likely to be missed. For a little taste, here is a version of the lion dance towards the end of the play:

By the way, the stone bridge in this case is likely a reference to the Stone Bridge of Joshu, which in Chinese is a word play between name of a place and a well known Zen master. But I'll stop before people start calling me a religious troll 9_9

The half price special is only good for another 1 or 2 hours, but I think you'd like at least portions of "Baldr" by Icelandic composer Jon Leifs.

http://www.eclassical.com/composers/leifs-jon/cd7318591230311.html

The music is based on Icelandic folk melodies and rhythms, with resourceful and colorful instrumentation for full orchestra.  To me several tracks sound like the film score of a mythic fantasy like The Hobbit.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, accwai said:

By the way, the stone bridge in this case is likely a reference to the Stone Bridge of Joshu, which in Chinese is a word play between name of a place and a well known Zen master. But I'll stop before people start calling me a religious troll 9_9

I won't. I don't mind stone bridges, I don't even mind gateless gates ;)

BTW (I know there aren't many reggae fans here) I mentioned Dub FX on a separate (I was right - proved to be a niche one x-D) beatbox thread. He travelled to Jamaica a couple of months ago and recorded some reggae songs there. As usually with Dub FX videos it's all recorded live.

• 2 weeks later...