IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

7 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I posted it on CA long time ago on 'Putin Plays the Piano' thread..  I'm sorry I can only repeat that your morning recommendations.... ;)

To be serious, I do not care about Russia and everything related. Of course, there is Tolstoi, but he was almost put out of law in his own country. Or Rachmaninov, but he abandoned Russia - we in Ukraine are painfully going through the same process. 

For those who like Mideastern music but really for anybody who likes an audiophile tour de force try NEW IMPOSSIBILITIES by Yo Yo Ma. Recorded with with Chicago Orchestra in Orchestral Hall. Just great, especially a piece called Ambush from Ten Sides. This music is now my goto for evaluating changes. Beautiful music!

1 hour ago, rando said:

If you simply cannot hang in there try the 1:00 minute mark.

Very good, except that this really isn't music of the world :)

It's originally from Handel's harpsichord suite No. 7. I went through it on the Song of the Day thread quite extensively around middle of June this year, including the original version, Halvorsen's transcription for violin & viola duet which this saw duet is based on, and a harmonic analysis of the original version. The last one most interesting as it shows just how the piece works: do-fa-ti-mi-la-re-sol-do descending 5th sequence through almost the whole thing with hardly any modulation. Jaw on the floor man x-D

15 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

"The Ambush from all sides" (中国传统音乐经典琵琶名曲 《十面埋伏》),  is undoubtedly the most famous pipa masterpiece from the Chinese traditional repertoire.

Yes, I have that as well several other recordings of that piece. It's really something!

Although I have been interested in Far Eastern religion/philosophy since my teens I never became fond of eg Chinese or Japanese music that much (prefered for example Indian music). I needed posts on this thread to appreciate eg pipa music. Would be nice to get some more recommendations of music from this part of the world.

15 hours ago, rando said:

If you simply cannot hang in there try the 1:00 minute mark.

Yep, it's possible to be a virtuoso of just about any instrument or sound producing object. I admit I used to play my cat when she was still alive (can PM technical details if someone's interested ;)).

15 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Marble Machine:

I actually posted this video twice on CA.. I think now that I live in the Netherlands I will visit the orchestrions museum in Utrecht some day. You can check Wintergatan's videos from the museum on Youtube.

25 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I actually posted this video twice on CA.. I think now that I live in the Netherlands I will visit the orchestrions museum in Utrecht some day. You can check Wintergatan's videos from the museum on Youtube.

Sorry, didn't see it before. Can I compensate with another clip from Ukraine?:

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Although I have been interested in Far Eastern religion/philosophy since my teens I never became fond of eg Chinese or Japanese music that much (prefered for example Indian music). I needed posts on this thread to appreciate eg pipa music. Would be nice to get some more recommendations of music from this part of the world.

Try Jiang Ting's Voice of the Pipa from MA Recordings. I personally like Lien Peiju's Whisper a little better. It's MA Recordings catalog number M090A. But for some reason, it's still not on MA's website after 2 years.

Now hardcore collector of Chinese music really should get familiar with hugodisc.com. On Pipa side, try Pipa pieces in Martial Style, and Pipa pieces in Literary Style. The artist here is Wong Chi-Ching who is one of the section leads of Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra. Ambush from Ten Sides, being in martial style, would be on the first album.

You really can't beat the depth of Hugo's catalog. Problem though is it might be difficult to get its albums in the west. Hugo itself is based in Hong Kong and its albums are quite readily available there and in big cities in China. But around here, specific albums would often have to be special ordered from Asian audiovisual store in Chinatown.

Personally though, I'm much more of a Qin than Pipa person. In the process of collecting the entire Hugo Guqin Music Series at the moment. Many of the recent titles are excellent. But if I'm forced to pick one, Goose Landing on Flat Sand would be it.

13 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Sorry, didn't see it before. Can I compensate with another clip from Ukraine?:

Yes. But only because you are Ukrainian antiputinist. If you were Russian (or Ukrainian for that matter) proputinist I'd never allow it ;)

7 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Yes. But only because you are Ukrainian antiputinist. If you were Russian (or Ukrainian for that matter) proputinist I'd never allow it ;)

Just minor comment. I am not anti- (it requires rather strong feelings). It is more ignoring the country, its people as a whole and its leader.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 2:40 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Just minor comment. I am not anti- (it requires rather strong feelings). It is more ignoring the country, its people as a whole and its leader.

As a mental exercise, try to apply it(more ignoring) to yourself and your people "as a whole" sometimes - and do not call it rather strong feelings.

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor