IGNORED

Memorable Music Movies.

sphinxsix

For me music comes first but I'm also a movie fan. And a music movie is a territory where the two in one way or another come together. I quite often search IMDB and RottenTomatoes for the stuff I haven't seen yet. Hope this thread can be some inspiration for CA members who are interested in the genre.

There are so many great music movies and it's really difficult to choose one or two as the absolutely best so I'll start with titles that simply first come to mind:

Milos Forman's 'Amadeus' surely needs no introduction:

Not a music movie per se but a classic Godfrey Reggio's documentary in which Philip Glass'music compliments the picture in such an organic way that it's difficult not to mention it:

Spike Lee's 'Mo' Better Blues', starring Denzel Washington, soundtrack - Branford Marsalis Quartet ft. Terence Blanchard.

I'll throw in one of my all time favorites, "Almost Famous". Great performances all round, superbly written and one of the most accurate documents of that time.

The biggest disappointment I can remember, and waited a long time for it to hit the screen, was Inside LLewyn Davis. What I had hoped would be a document of the early to mid sixties folk scene that spawned Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Phil Ochs, and so many more turned to be a sad, mean spirited film populated entirely with nothing but obnoxious, or worse, characters.

JC

@ TubeLover I agree 'Inside L.D.' isn't one of the best Coen brothers movies. But let's not forget they also created 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' which (being based on Homer's 'Odyssey') was very original and fun to watch IMO.

@ Snowmonkey I know the other two, I haven't seen 'This Aint No Mouse Music' and it looks very intriguing. I will have to check it out! Thx!

Stanley Kubrick used music beautifully in his movies.

Good point. Beyond the obvious Strauss in "2001", and the violent Beethoven in "A Clockwork Orange", there is only two movies I ever bought the soundtrack from. One is Kubrik's "Eyes Wide Shut" (with music ranging from Shostakovitch to Oscar Peterson), the other one being Philipp Glass beautiful music to "The Hours"

Good point. Beyond the obvious Strauss in "2001", and the violent Beethoven in "A Clockwork Orange", there is only two movies I ever bought the soundtrack from. One is Kubrik's "Eyes Wide Shut" (with music ranging from Shostakovitch to Oscar Peterson), the other one being Philipp Glass beautiful music to "The Hours"

Kubrick was a master at using classical music to set the mood in his films. Barry Lyndon is also wonderful.

My favorite "music" films/soundtracks are The Harder They Come, The Big Easy, Inside Llewyn Davis, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Not sure if it was memorable for the right reasons...

[video=youtube;lkN-A00WLYE]

Duncan Jones got the music right on with...

And love it or hate is; some movies get the music spot on the add to the emotions...

And anything scored by Ennio Morricone...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Kind of an obscure one, but it has really good music (by Alan Price) that's wonderfully well integrated into the film (directed by the great Lindsay Anderson, with Malcolm McDowell and a young Helen Mirren):

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5