IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 launch thread!

With the first debate of the 2016 presidential election just moments away (heaven help us!), this is clearly the oddest timing for a product launch announcement. ;)

As I type this, the below e-mail is being sent out to the 6,000+ people around the world who have either purchased an UpTone Audio product or asked to be on our mailing list.

Here it is for those of you not on our mailing list. The real fun begins in the morning and over the next 3 weeks. No debating that!

And the web page for the UltraCap LPS-1 is up now. The AddToCart order button will appear in the morning. :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We are pleased to announce that tomorrow morning (Tuesday, September 27) at 9:00 a.m. California time, the uptoneaudio.com website will begin accepting orders for the world’s first bank-switching, microprocessor-controlled, ultracapacitor-based, external linear power supply, the UltraCap™ LPS-1.

Over a year in development—with all engineering and programming by my dear friend and partner, the brilliant John Swensonthis groundbreaking new power supply will redefine considerations and expectations about what is important in audio power supply design.

Ultracapacitors (often called supercapacitors) are unique and somewhat new high-energy density storage devices, and can be thought of as a cross between batteries and traditional capacitors. While they are now finding use in electric cars, medical devices, and many other demanding circuits, they have never been designed as the heart of an external DC power supply for audio components as we have done with the UltraCap LPS-1.

You can read more details on the technical features and benefits of the LPS-1 at UltraCap™ LPS-1 – UpTone Audio.

Here are some highlights of this fascinating new power supply:

*100% galvanic isolation from the AC mains at all times. The output of the LPS-1 is NEVER connected to the “energizing/charging” supply that feeds it. Its sophisticated bank-switching/charging circuitry and logic charges one string of ultracapacitors (60 Farads worth!) while the other string supplies a cascade of ultra-low-noise output regulators.

*The LPS-1 is like a miniature power plant. You could think of it like a battery supply—but without all the disadvantages of batteries. It silently charges and discharges its banks—and can do so millions of times without wearing out.

*The LPS-1 completely blocks the path of AC leakage currents from entering into the portion of your audio system it is connected to. This is a complex and not broadly understood area, but our research—and likely some of your own component listening experiments—proves that reducing leakage currents and loops is one of the most important final steps to improving audio system performance.

The UltraCap™ LPS-1, our first application of this exciting new technology, has a single output and a switch permitting you to choose between 3.3 volts, 5 volts, and 7 volts. Maximum output current is 1.1 amps.

It will be an excellent choice for powering a wide range of audio and computer devices. Examples include: UpTone's own very popular USB REGEN, the Sonore MicroRendu, small DACs and headphone amps, USB>S/PDIF converters, specialty computer USB cards, SSDs, fibre media converters, the PS Audio LANRover, and many others.

Our own comparative testing with the UltraCap LPS-1 has been very satisfying, and we can’t wait for everyone else to discover how this small but mighty component will enhance their musical pleasure.

The price for the innovative UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 is US$395, and we back the product with a 3-year warranty.

Production has begun and the first 150 units will begin shipping by October 14th. Fast and affordable worldwide delivery options are offered.

Orders will be filled in the order they are placed via our secure web site. It is expected that this first mid-October batch will sell out very quickly, so please set your alarms for tomorrow morning (or whatever time it will be for you when it is 9:00 a.m. in California).

Don’t worry, if you miss out on the first ones, we are gearing up for more production in the weeks following. However, as with the wildly successful US REGEN, demand is likely to exceed monthly supply for some time. So placing an advance order is always a wise choice.

Please join us and other friendly audiophiles in our sponsored forum area at ComputerAudiophile.com. UpTone Audio (Sponsored)

It is a great place to learn, ask questions, and have a good time on your own audio/music adventure.

Many thanks for your interest, your business, and your enthusiasm.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Crespi

P.S. If you are in need of a larger, high-current linear power supply, please be sure to check out our acclaimed JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp LPS. It is beautiful, powerful, reliable, and more readily available than ever before.

UpTone Audio LLC

Mariposa, California

UltraCap LPS1 Front.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 Rear.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 PCB top.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 PCB bottom.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 kit.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 with REGEN.jpg

UltraCap LPS1 with microRendu.jpg

P.P.S. I took all those photos on our infamous ping-pong table--with mostly natural lighting. No bad, eh?

Is the 9v iPower suitable to use as the energizing supply for the LPS-1? If so, how does the 9v iPower compare to the MeanWell as far as pollution of the mains?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Its probably not suitable, but would I be able to power a OCXO clock with this? It requires 700ma warmup current, then 350ma in normal use.

The amperage is not important as that is a "pull" (the clock pulls what it needs and as long as demand does not exceed supply, you're good). What matters is the required voltage. You need an exact match on that. So, if the OCXO uses 3.3V, 5V or 7V, you have a winner. If not, move on :-)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

"Ultracapacitors (often called supercapacitors).........they have never been designed as the heart of an external DC power supply for audio components as we have done with the UltraCap LPS-1."

Sorry but i don't think the above statement is correct.

Audiobyte Hydra ZPM is a DC supply which is released 2015. "The Hydra ZPM makes a step further, letting behind the Hydra X concept, which was battery powered. Instead, ZPM is using a ultracapacitor bank consisting of 2 x 310 Farads (1 Farad equals 1.000.000 uF) which will provide lower internal resistance and longer life and reliability, compared to a battery solution." source: Hydra ZPM | Audiobyte

Desclaimer: I once owned Audiobyte ZPM, Uptone Regen & Uptone micro Rendu as well.

Nevertheless, I'm tempted to buy a Uptone LPS-1 given the price tag $395. I believe it is a very high C/P value DC solution.

Rockna WDN disc transport> Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC >

Zen wave D4 rca> VEFT PP 20W class A or Jeff Koneff 45 SET or Transcendent Sound SEOTL >

1mm UPOCC silver in silk tubing> Ocellia Celia Silver Loudspeaker

Alex specifically writes "as we have done with the LPS-1."

The Hydra ZPM requires charging upon first installation and after being powered off. The LPS-1 does not.

From the Audiobyte Hydra website "This charging of this huge capacitance is no trivial task, therefore is being done by specialized circuitry. Once capacitor bank is fully charged (it may take up to 4h first time!) , the output voltage will remain constant assuming that Hydra ZPM is left powered on."

I think this is a considerable difference.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Once capacitor bank is fully charged (it may take up to 4h first time!) , the output voltage will remain constant assuming that Hydra ZPM is left powered on.

In other words, for a stable output voltage under load it remains powered from the AC mains.

The JS1 is galvanically isolated from the AC mains supply. The ZPM isn't' , even when using a Linear supply,(or their description would have said so) while ever it is still connected to it's mains supply.

This means that if you are using a consumer grade SMPS to power the ZPM it will measure as high as half the mains voltage between it's output and earth. This leakage current may also have quite a bit of RF/EMI riding along with it.

You could use the same SMPS supply with the JS1 and there will be no measurable AC voltage to earth.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Any chance for a package deal with the microrendu?

Doubtful. Two different companies (Sonore and Uptone Audio). You also don't get package deals between Sony & Samsung or Denon & Marantz.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Please note that, unlike LPS-1, the ZPM connects directly to AC power.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I'm no circuit designer, but the board layout looks very clean and organized to me. Congratulations John and Alex! :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

[The adventurous could even purchase two units and hook their outputs up in series, perhaps with one set to 7V and the other to 5V to obtain 12V; An even more interesting application would be for a DIY hobbyist to use two units harnessed together and center-tapped to produce a pure and isolated bi-polar (+ & -) supply for audio circuit use.]

Any plan offering a sort of Y-cable that utilizes this 12V ? :)

Is it ok to leave it connected to a microRendu and on all the time? Will this reduce the life of the LPS-1?

Does the switching between capacitor banks cause any audible clicking sound?

What is the switching frequency between banks?

Will this stop any leakage current that may be coming from a router connected via USB to a microRendu if the mR is powered by a LPS-1?

Thanks

Does the switching between capacitor banks cause any audible clicking sound?

Yep, sounds like a damn steam hammer.

(My apologies for joking with you, I could not resist. I am not John or Alex and so cannot tell you with 100% certainty, but I am 99.9999% sure that there is absolutely no noise from bank switching.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Good morning!

Will you please confirm if I can used it with 220 -240 Volts?

Thank you.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.