IGNORED

Tweeter Protection? Fuses or Capacitors?

OK - an interface came loose and max level hash and noise blew my tweeters in my Aerial 10T's

Was not cheap to replace

So - wondering how I can protect them going forwards?

Any detailed suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

"So - wondering how I can protect them going forwards?"

You might as well just fix the problem. Find out why the connection came loose and make sure it doesn't happen again. Manufacturers spend a great deal of time voicing components to achieve whatever goals they set. Putting electronics in the signal path that goes to your tweeters will almost certainly have a noticeable effect on sound quality. At the very least, talk to Aerial and see what they think.

Polyswitches are also useful in this application. You will need to work out the current trip level that you require.

They are self resettable. IIRC , years ago they often used devices from the RXE range at the speaker output of some amplifiers.

Alex

http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/documents/circuit-protection/global/CPD-Catalog/S11-2%20PolySwitch%20Product%20Selection%20Guide_V4_24Sep2015.pdf

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

Note that putting a capacitor in series with the tweeter will protect it from DC coming out of the amp, but would not stop the hash you had before killing the tweeter..for that you need a fuse (or polyswitch...not sure how good they sound)

Director Mad Scientist Audio Ltd.

Note that putting a capacitor in series with the tweeter will protect it from DC coming out of the amp, but would not stop the hash you had before killing the tweeter..for that you need a fuse (or polyswitch...not sure how good they sound)

Ah good point, I misunderstood the problem.

• 2 weeks later...