IGNORED

Audio Alchemy DMP-1

pga

Just installed an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 as a Roon endpoint on a LAN, connected to a Berkeley Reference DAC Series 2 via AES/EBU. Best sound I've had yet, whether from TIDAL or my music library. Also the best user interface I've used.

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

How nice, thank you very much. DMP-1 has been in R&D for quite a long time, we wanted to be sure we got it right, and it is great to see our work is appreciated. Enjoy!

Hi, i'm looking at investing $2000 in a digital source, would you recommend spending the whole amount on your DDP-1 DAC (usb to laptop) or $1800 on the DMP-1 and $200 on a DAC? TIA!

Hello, Rexp. It is an interesting question, it kind of depends on what your upgrade path timeframe looks like. If it is reasonably short-term I would probably do a DDP-1 now and use a PC as a source until you can add the DMP-1.

Is the DMP-1 a "stand-alone" server running ROON or does this require a ROON server on the network?

Cheers,

Wdw

Just installed an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 as a Roon endpoint on a LAN, connected to a Berkeley Reference DAC Series 2 via AES/EBU. Best sound I've had yet, whether from TIDAL or my music library. Also the best user interface I've used.

Great to hear. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I just received a DMP-1 from Peter to play with; when u refer to the UI do you mean the Web Interface??

Thanks

Mike

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I just received a DMP-1 from Peter to play with; when u refer to the UI do you mean the Web Interface??

Thanks

Mike

I'm referring to Roon. The UI for the DMP1 is very basic. Roon is outstanding.

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

Phew! Yeah the web UI is rudimentary to say the least! I don't suppose you use a NAS with your DMP-1? For some reason I can't get it to see my NAS share, I was just curious to see how MPD playback sounded vs Roon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

• 3 weeks later...

Still using the DMP-1 only with Roon. There have been a few firmware updates and also I have Roon now running on its own dedicated HP i7 8 GB, 256 GB SSD Windows 10 PC. The music is on a QNAP NAS. My library is very large with 250,000 tracks, so the i7 really helps with search times. The sound of the system gets better each day, but I don't know if this is attributed to the firmware or the new i7. On an old Mac Pro it would have occasional drop outs, but this is not the case with the i7. Also the transparency and total lack of digital glare is amazing. The TAD R1 is not a forgiving speaker, and until this point they always had a slightly edgy sound. The improvement versus the system with an Aurendet W20 and the first version of the Berkeley Reference DAC is quite large.

Likewise I'm still using a DMP-1 with Roon & a Synology as my Roon server. I have about 15k tracks. I've had some USB issues with the DMP-1, so I'm getting a replacement unit, but otherwise it sounds great. I've ditched my Auralic Aries in favor of the DMP-1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have a Berkeley Reference DAC (being upgraded to series 2) along with Alpha USB. Fed into ARC Ref 6 to Luxman M800A monos driving Magnepan 20.7 and TAD CR1. Looking for a digital server to help my digital compete with my Spiral Groove SG1.2 + Goldfinger. Was going to purchase Aurender or Auralic but am open to AA dmp1 (still have the original AA digital preamp from 1990s). However it is unclear when/how to secure a dmp1. Pls advise.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I am a new owner of an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 which is Installed at my Windows 7 desktop and can be used as my external sound card as is.  It’s interconnected to my Musical Fidelity A3cr Preamp, an Adcom Amp and Spendor S3/5 Monitor speakers.

But I  want to add streaming capability and I am struggling to understand all the acronyms you all seem so conversant with.

Must I add an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 to do streaming?  Or can I stream by talking directly to the DDP-1.  And, If so which iOS app can I use?

I  do have an Ethernet connected NAS located at my living room stereo system and it is going to be stream ready via a Naim Uniti Core and an as yet to be chosen DAC.  Perhaps a Berkeley for example.  Of course, I’d like them all to stream the same music, but I’m beginning to realize that’s not as likely or as easy as I thought it would be.