IGNORED

remote app to control TIDAL?

Jimmy3993

There is several ways to do that...but all with Android devices only AFAIK. The best way IMO is to use JplayStreamer (http://www.jplay.eu) controlled by BubbleDS Next on Android phone/Tablet. You might need Minimserver as well. It will cost you some but are well worth the cost. A free option is to use Foobar2000 with Bubbleguuum Upnp add-on. Use BubbleUpnp Server or Minimserver. Controlled by BubbleDS as well.

If you are using only Tidal as source you do not need Minimserver for JplayStreamer. It works seemless with OpenHome. With FB2k you will still need BubbleUpnp Server and need to check OpenHome in the settings. It needs to be running in an open window to work.

I am using a 7" Android tablet I bought second hand for approx USD60...but have left audio pc for Aries Mini (which works with iPhone btw.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I believe @Cornan is referring to running an OpenHome network music file player/renderer/streamer on your Windows PC and then controlling it with an OpenHome controller app on a handheld device. OpenHome renderers support streaming from several online services, including Tidal, as well as playing your own music files from UPnP/DLNA media servers.

There are several applications you can use as an OpenHome renderer on the Windows PC. The first way is to install one that is an actual OpenHome renderer such as the JPlayStreamer mentioned by @Cornan or even the free OpenHome Player provided by OpenHome Labs themselves:

PC

The other way is to use an existing (well known) Windows music file player application that has a built-in standard UPnP renderer (eg JRiver Media Center, MediaMonkey, the free foobar2000 with the foo_UPnP plugin component, etc) and install the BubbleUPnP Server helper software to create an (emulated) OpenHome Renderer for it:

BubbleUPnP Server

media_renderers.jpg

You control the OpenHome renderer using an OpenHome control app & not a standard UPnP/DLNA control app, as they are incompatible. Despite what @Cornan has said, there are OpenHome supporting controller apps available on devices other than Android ones, though Android does have the most to choose from, eg:

Android - BubbleUPnP (is also a standard UPnP controller), BubbleDS Next, Linn Kazoo & Lumin;

iPhone/iPad - Linn Kazoo & Lumin;

Windows - Linn Kazoo;

Mac - Linn Kazoo.

Having said all of that, assuming you are currently using the Tidal app on your Windows PC and want to keep using its user interface, you could forget all of the above and try actually remote controlling the PC itself, by installing a VNC server, such as RealVNC:

https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/

You then can control the PC with the VNC Viewer app for the iPhone - though this method might be a bit klunky compared to the OpenHome one.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I believe @Cornan is referring to running an OpenHome network music file player/renderer/streamer on your Windows PC and then controlling it with an OpenHome controller app on a handheld device. OpenHome renderers support streaming from several online services, including Tidal, as well as playing your own music files from UPnP/DLNA media servers.

There are several applications you can use as an OpenHome renderer on the Windows PC. The first way is to install one that is an actual OpenHome renderer such as the JPlayStreamer mentioned by @Cornan or even the free OpenHome Player provided by OpenHome Labs themselves:

PC

The other way is to use an existing (well known) Windows music file player application that has a built-in standard UPnP renderer (eg JRiver Media Center, MediaMonkey, the free foobar2000 with the foo_UPnP plugin component, etc) and install the BubbleUPnP Server helper software to create an (emulated) OpenHome Renderer for it:

BubbleUPnP Server

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29106[/ATTACH]

You control the OpenHome renderer using an OpenHome control app & not a standard UPnP/DLNA control app, as they are incompatible. Despite what @Cornan has said, there are OpenHome supporting controller apps available on devices other than Android ones, though Android does have the most to choose from, eg:

Android - BubbleUPnP (is also a standard UPnP controller), BubbleDS Next, Linn Kazoo & Lumin;

iPhone/iPad - Linn Kazoo & Lumin;

Windows - Linn Kazoo;

Mac - Linn Kazoo.

Thanks for joining @Cebolla! :-)

I have tried Kazoo and Lumin with both LightningDS (Aries) and JplayStreamer (PC) and it does'nt work seemeless (without any other software) with either of them. AFAIK BubbleDS Next is the only control point with cloud option that works directly with Tidal...or have I missed something?

🎛️  Audio System  

Sorry, yes thanks for reminding me about that and of course why (from a JPlayStreamer point of view) you mentioned only being able to use Android! It's actually an issue with the OpenHome support of the JplayStreamer & Aries in that they don't support the (optional) OpenHome Streaming Services, which is what the Linn Kazoo & Lumin apps are expecting in order for them to enable and therefore display their Tidal connection. So in that case my "first way", I should not have included the JPlayStreamer if the OP wants to use a non Android OpenHome controller (so only the free OpenHome Player supports OpenHome Streaming Services). The "other way" using the BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome Renderer is ok as that one does support OpenHome Streaming Services.

The BubbleDS Next & BubbleUPnP Android apps are special in that they'll 'forgive' the OpenHome renderer not supporting OpenHome Streaming Services and provide what's missing so that they can connect to Tidal (& in the case of the BubbleUPnP Android app, the same even for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers & Chromecast devices!!).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The BubbleDS Next & BubbleUPnP Android apps are special in that they'll 'forgive' the OpenHome renderer not supporting OpenHome Streaming Services and provide what's missing so that they can connect to Tidal (& in the case of the BubbleUPnP Android app, the same even for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers & Chromecast devices!!).

It just strucked me that it is possible to Cast via Google Chrome (latest update). I have´nt tried it (ie. not 100% sure it will work) but it might just be possible to cast via Tidal´s app from an iPhone to Google Chrome. Any idea of this will work @Cebolla? It seems possible in my head atleast! :)

Edit: I just realized that Casting is the other way around. You can cast content FROM Google Chrome...but you cannot cast TO Google Chrome. You still need to control Tidal with something like a remote desktop app which is not optimal...or connect Chromecast as a receiver to your DAC. My head was just confusing me! ;-)

🎛️  Audio System  

Haha!!!

Thx y'all. I translate your responses into my level of technical ability to read: "no.".

I was hoping that something like the software used by aurender or Aurelic to run tidal on their device from an app on my iPhone was available. I have used a Remote Desktop application in the past and yes, it was clunky. For now I will stick with Bluetooth keyboard I guess.

I could look at a Bluetooth receiver with a digital output that I could hook up to the Berkeley but my guess is the sq would be compromised.

Haha!!!

Thx y'all. I translate your responses into my level of technical ability to read: "no.".

I was hoping that something like the software used by aurender or Aurelic to run tidal on their device from an app on my iPhone was available. I have used a Remote Desktop application in the past and yes, it was clunky. For now I will stick with Bluetooth keyboard I guess.

I could look at a Bluetooth receiver with a digital output that I could hook up to the Berkeley but my guess is the sq would be compromised.

Since Tidal supports Chromecast I would recommend you to buy the Chromecast Audio to connect to the Berkeley. Works straight out from Tidals iOS app and have much better SQ than bluetooth. Even Airplay works the same way with Apple TV..but is much more expensive and does'nt sound as good as Chromecast audio...but better than bluetooth.

Still, JplayStreamer on your pc and BubbleDS Next app on Android tablet is the best sounding option around for Tidal IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

Ok cornan. Tablet ordered (boy are those cheap!). Once it arrives I will instal app bubble app. In the mean time I will instal server software. I might need to come back to you for help getting things to talk to each other.

Thx!

Since Tidal supports Chromecast I would recommend you to buy the Chromecast Audio to connect to the Berkeley. Works straight out from Tidals iOS app and have much better SQ than bluetooth. Even Airplay works the same way with Apple TV..but is much more expensive and does'nt sound as good as Chromecast audio...but better than bluetooth.

Still, JplayStreamer on your pc and BubbleDS Next app on Android tablet is the best sounding option around for Tidal IMO.

Ok cornan. Tablet ordered (boy are those cheap!). Once it arrives I will instal app bubble app. In the mean time I will instal server software. I might need to come back to you for help getting things to talk to each other.

Thx!

Great! You will not regret your descition. I will be happy to help you if you have any questions! :)

Which server software have you descided to install on your pc? Note that Jplay needs Windows 8 and above to work (but Windows 10 sounds best).

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan- looks like I am running Windows 7. I will see about upgrading to 10.

Good call! Windows 10 v1511 and above is a major step-up in SQ IMO. Your other option would be FB2K+BubbleUpnpServer+Bubbleguuum Upnp add-on. SQ and flexibillity will not be as optimal as JplayStreamer though.

While you are at it make sure to install Fidelizer Free (100% free) as well. Fidelizer Pro will cost you some but are money well spent.

🎛️  Audio System  

Ok cornan. Tablet ordered (boy are those cheap!). Once it arrives I will instal app bubble app. In the mean time I will instal server software.
Always good to have other (ie Android) handheld controller options! While you are waiting for the tablet to arrive you may as well give the free OpenHome Player software I mentioned a try on the PC, as you'll be able use it straight away with either of the free Linn Kazoo or Lumin (OpenHome) controller iPhone apps:

PC

-- Jo Cox

• 4 months later...

Now that Tidal has secured $200M in funding Im reviving this thread in the hope that a nice product person from Tidal might read it and take pity on us lowly paying HIFI customers and give us some satisfaction. There is still no easy way to remote control a device playing Tidal over USB. Tidal do offer a lot of partnerships with high end audio streamers such as Auralic and Mytek etc who provide their own remote apps but none of these offer a native Tidal user experience, some use Spotify connect to allow control from within Spotify itself. The additional cost of a dedicated streamer device is prohibitive when a computer with USB to existing DAC does the same job. Just need to be able to control remotely without being tethered by a 5M USB cable. Roon is a possibility but I personally do not want to pay an additional yearly fee for the privilege when a a Tidal Connect type feature would close this gap. In my experience the only way to get good quality sound from Tidal is over USB. Airplay, bluetooth etc are inferior and USB only works from a wired device. Come on Tidal lets see some love for the HIFI users.

I use Unified Remote: www.unifiedremote.com/tutorials/how-to-install-a-custom-remote

An amateur has kindly created a smartphone/tablet remote for Tidal: Remote Control for Tidal | Unified Remote Community

It works well - 95%. The Unified Remote server which runs on your PC is a quality bit of sw - very low resource usage, no crashes, rapid and reliable syncing with your mobile device.

Unified Remote has another remote (called "Screen") which allows you to view the Tidal UI being presented to your monitor. You can even browse the Tidal UI through "Screen" - but "Screen" is clunky.

I have also used Chrome Remote Desktop to great effect.

I find the idea of buying a separate bit of kit, or £500 Roon, just to get remote control, barmy.