IGNORED

Jcat launches the new, 'Femto' USB card

Elberoth

The size of the board doesn't say much about the clock performance. You would need to see phase noise graphs to judge its performance, but unfortunately, SOtM doesn't provide any to back up their design (Stuff like Symmetricon TSC5115A meter that is used to measure phase noise cost a small fortune - over $50k new - and very few equipment manufacturers even have one).

The XO chosen by Jact for their design - CCHD-957 - is one of the very best sub $100 oscillators available. Coupled to the ultra low noise voltage regulators used, it should provide close to state of the art results.

I agree with you when saying size doesn't matter. Sometimes small well engineered products can sound much better than poor engineered large ones. Thanks much for your explanation. This is really helpful.

Could you please share your impressions on the Jcat Femto compared to the old one?

Thanks!

Andru

The size of the board doesn't say much about the clock performance. You would need to see phase noise graphs to judge its performance, but unfortunately, SOtM doesn't provide any to back up their design (Stuff like Symmetricon TSC5115A meter that is used to measure phase noise cost a small fortune - over $50k new - and very few equipment manufacturers even have one).

The XO chosen by Jact for their design - CCHD-957 - is one of the very best sub $100 oscillators available. Coupled to the ultra low noise voltage regulators used, it should provide close to state of the art results.

Hi Elberoth, are you able to give us some impressions of what the Femto card sounds like in your system?

I'm really curious and I'm sure others are too!

Thanks,

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

I need a couple of more days. I'm working on a big project right now, literally 16h a day, so I have almost no time for listening left.

I did listen to a new card for short period of time. However, since I have also made a change to my OS (I went back from Win 10 + AO, which I have been using for the last couple of months, to the Win 2012 + AO) I will need to put my old Jcat V1.1 card back, to be able to isolate the card from the system change.

A rookie mistake really - I haven't thought this over. One should never make 2 system changes at a time.

All I can say for now - my system has never sounded better. It sounds smoother, with more spatial clues and better soundstaging. But the biggest change, which actually was a surprise for me, was the bass. So much more articulate ! The new found levels of texture, coupled with an incredible slam, is quite extraordinary. I'm amazed.

Now I need to learn how much of that difference comes from the card upgrade itself, and how much from the system change.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

my system has never sounded better. It sounds smoother, with more spatial clues and better soundstaging...

Same as Elberoth I made more than one change, I went from the old to the new card and I added the usb isolator. The old one was not powered, now it is js-2 powered (the rest of pc by hdplex). So take it with a grain of salt if I confirm more smoothness, less digital and clearer sound. Still need more days to finish burn-in according to Marcin. I'm using 1607 + updates of windows 10. The change has been so dramatic that at first I thought the sound was too much smoothed, but again I made other changes (cables, js-2, ifi dc purifier on ssd, jcat usb isolator, new plugs and better organized AC main) and less than 100 hours of usage.

Have either of you had a Urendu or SOtM 200 in your systems to provide any comparisons? I realize they're two totally different implementations but would be interested in hearing your opinions.

I have both the SOtM sMs-200 and microRendu. No time for any comparos so far.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 1 month later...

New JCAT USB Card FEMTO excellent!

I left this card after comparing with PPA And Sotm usb.Sotm USB plays is synthetic,not very natural.A shallow lower case.RRA is losing on the clarity and quality of the bass.JCAT USB Card FEMTO use in a pair of super low noise b.p. assembled on lt3042.All jumpers are naturally disabled.JCAT USB Card FEMTO is gorgeous and the best clock from Crystek CCHD-957!!!Highly recommend.

20161025_101429.jpg

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

The best Linux system for music!!! :xhttps://www.snakeoil-os.net/   :x

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Elberoth, How is your use of the JCAT femto USB card going? Anyone else care to share their views?

Here is what I wrote up on my initial impressions (from WBF) so far on the JCAT FEMTO. I still haven't done the comparisons I would like, but I have had a lot of time with the card and really like it:

Spent many hours last night listening to some familiar stuff. No A vs. B as yet HOWEVER I am extremely impressed. I know my system very well which consists of MSB V -->REF10-->GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Gold all with Valhalla V2 interconnects and speaker cables with SAIN LINE power cords and Silver Circle Audio 5.0. My computer is a CAPS ZUMA which NOW has the JCAT V2 with Core Audio Technologies Kaia dual rail LPS powering the MOBO and JCAT.

The testament to my system is that, with the exception of upgrading the DAC from the Diamond Plus IV to the V and my REF75 to the GS150 it has pretty much been stable for more than 4 years, soon to be 5. I know this system like the back of my hand and can differentiate small nuances. I also must add it is the best system I have ever heard (not flaming others just my preference) as it meets my ultimate criteria of accuracy, transparency and that amazing ability to transport you to the venue.

So far the biggest difference between the two cards has been, if there was any weakness in my system with it's incredible holographic image the system generated there was very slight distortion, with middle (front to back) and side to side, being slightly out of proportion in size (in photo terms, very slight pincushion distortion despite, IMHO, being much better than any other system I have heard or owned) but now it is dead on accurate. Absolutely zero distortion or bloat and amazingly real, more than I realized was even capable. I haven't listened to all my "test" music but timbre is better than ever. Listened to a lot of Avishai Cohen last night and was just mesmerized like I have never been. Articulation of bass and strings was the best I have heard from my system. My system is not one of those overly resolving systems, that IMHO is unnatural, usually the result of a distorted spectrum which I find fatiguing (I have owned these types of systems in the past as well as listened to many of them and will leave names out to protect the innocent and those who prefer it), however, it resolved better than I have ever heard resolve during my session last night. While a good system should both allow for appropriate coalescence of the performers (assuming it is that type of venue) as well as space surrounding each performer, again, this new card, does what I didn't think could be improved in my system and improves both.

I am just beginning on the quest of comparison, but I know my system, probably won't be driving myself crazy with comparisons as it is doing what was already things done very right and now even better.

I am very happy with the card and probably will be putting my microRendu and likely LPS-1 up for sale shortly. The card has been running now for more than week straight and looking forward to more listening.

I will report back but am very happy to say the least with my preliminary impressions.

Larry,

My next change will be powering the card with the LPS-1. Then comparing it to the microRendu.

I think it is outperforming the microRendu but do want to to do a direct comparison which is easy. It is a definitely improvement IMO than the JCAT v1.1

Priaptor, I am completely clueless when it comes to powering equipment properly, but isn't the LPS-1 set at 7.5v and the Femto card uses 5v? It doesn't seem like a big difference in voltage to me, but is this okay?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

• 1 month later...
New JCAT USB Card FEMTO excellent!

I left this card after comparing with PPA And Sotm usb.Sotm USB plays is synthetic,not very natural.A shallow lower case.RRA is losing on the clarity and quality of the bass.JCAT USB Card FEMTO use in a pair of super low noise b.p. assembled on lt3042.All jumpers are naturally disabled.JCAT USB Card FEMTO is gorgeous and the best clock from Crystek CCHD-957!!!Highly recommend.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30515[/ATTACH]

I have not found any usb card that can compete with the SOtM usb card+sCLK clock in the market.

www.pachankolabs.com

I have not found any usb card that can compete with the SOtM usb card+sCLK clock in the market.

This is because you have not used JCAT Femto.Joke! :)

I used the dX-USB HD + sclk-2224 .The result is negative.:(

Price yours SOtM tX-USB exp€.419,00+SOtM sCLK-EX €899=1400 €.

SOtM

Against the Femto 420 .

The difference is significant. :)

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

This is because you have not used JCAT Femto.Joke! :)

I used the dX-USB HD + sclk-2224 .The result is negative.:(

Price yours SOtM tX-USB exp€.419,00+SOtM sCLK-EX €899=1400 €.

SOtM

Against the Femto 420 .

The difference is significant. :)

Of course i have tested the JCAT Femto :) And on my system the JCAT Femto cannot compete with the SOtM usb card :)

I have a Waversa System Dac3 with a Mems clock inside.

www.pachankolabs.com

Happy New Year! The JCAT USB Card FEMTO is finally back in stock.

@geekuix

Could you please elaborate on differences between the top-tier Sotm and JCAT Femto?

BTW - if it's not a secret, can you tell me which dealer offered you a demo unit? (you can send me a PM)

Regards,

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Happy New Year! The JCAT Femto cuts the low mids and not rich as the SOtM on the upper mids. It seems not natural as the SOtM usb card. We have listenned it on my setup and also on my friend setup (the owner of the JCAT Femto). Both gave us the same results and both cards are fully burning before making any comparaison.

Best regards.

www.pachankolabs.com

Happy New Year! The JCAT USB Card FEMTO is finally back in stock.

@geekuix

Could you please elaborate on differences between the top-tier Sotm and JCAT Femto?

BTW - if it's not a secret, can you tell me which dealer offered you a demo unit? (you can send me a PM)

Regards,

Marcin

My experience with the Sotm USB showed that cuts low frequencies and also the lower mid male voice.The man's voice sounds not correct high.Very prominent upper mid at around 8 kHz.The overall sound is dry.Didn't like the scene,which is quite flat.stopit.gif

JCAT Femto showed the depth of low frequencies and rich male vocals.Frequency pretty high.Is the music scene like its width and depth.appl.gif

Here is what I wrote up on my initial impressions (from WBF) so far on the JCAT FEMTO. I still haven't done the comparisons I would like, but I have had a lot of time with the card and really like it:

Spent many hours last night listening to some familiar stuff. No A vs. B as yet HOWEVER I am extremely impressed. I know my system very well which consists of MSB V -->REF10-->GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Gold all with Valhalla V2 interconnects and speaker cables with SAIN LINE power cords and Silver Circle Audio 5.0. My computer is a CAPS ZUMA which NOW has the JCAT V2 with Core Audio Technologies Kaia dual rail LPS powering the MOBO and JCAT.

The testament to my system is that, with the exception of upgrading the DAC from the Diamond Plus IV to the V and my REF75 to the GS150 it has pretty much been stable for more than 4 years, soon to be 5. I know this system like the back of my hand and can differentiate small nuances. I also must add it is the best system I have ever heard (not flaming others just my preference) as it meets my ultimate criteria of accuracy, transparency and that amazing ability to transport you to the venue.

So far the biggest difference between the two cards has been, if there was any weakness in my system with it's incredible holographic image the system generated there was very slight distortion, with middle (front to back) and side to side, being slightly out of proportion in size (in photo terms, very slight pincushion distortion despite, IMHO, being much better than any other system I have heard or owned) but now it is dead on accurate. Absolutely zero distortion or bloat and amazingly real, more than I realized was even capable. I haven't listened to all my "test" music but timbre is better than ever. Listened to a lot of Avishai Cohen last night and was just mesmerized like I have never been. Articulation of bass and strings was the best I have heard from my system. My system is not one of those overly resolving systems, that IMHO is unnatural, usually the result of a distorted spectrum which I find fatiguing (I have owned these types of systems in the past as well as listened to many of them and will leave names out to protect the innocent and those who prefer it), however, it resolved better than I have ever heard resolve during my session last night. While a good system should both allow for appropriate coalescence of the performers (assuming it is that type of venue) as well as space surrounding each performer, again, this new card, does what I didn't think could be improved in my system and improves both.

I am just beginning on the quest of comparison, but I know my system, probably won't be driving myself crazy with comparisons as it is doing what was already things done very right and now even better.

I am very happy with the card and probably will be putting my microRendu and likely LPS-1 up for sale shortly. The card has been running now for more than week straight and looking forward to more listening.

I will report back but am very happy to say the least with my preliminary impressions.

You used connection a low-noise filter on the USB Board Jcat FEMTO?

Put on Board using jumper.20161025_101417.jpg

• 3 weeks later...