Hi all,

I've been lurking on the CA forums for a couple of years now and decided it was finally time to make my first post.

I've been entry level for a few years now and ready to make a long-term investment in some good equipment. With that being said, I'm looking for a good DAC/AMP duo with a $4k budget. The Ragnarok/Yggdrasil duo from Schiit caught my attention but I want to learn about some possible alternatives in case there's a duo better suited for me.

Some background, I'm using my PC for playback, 99.5% FLAC files (CD rips) with a few MP3's as well. 75% redbook, 25% hi-res. I think I listen to a solid range of music, so I'm looking for a setup that is flexible and works well with a wide variety of genres since most of my music isn't pristinely recorded. I'm curious about DSD since HQPlayer can upsample PCM to DSD but I don't have any native DSD files.

Thank you for your time and your thoughts,

Jean

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

Should have mentioned that I'm looking to stay in the realm of powered speakers, I like the accuracy of powered monitors.

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

A lot of good DACs in the $1k-$2k range that would be great with powered speakers. PS Audio and Mytek Brooklyn come to mind. The Mytek is very flexible and has just about every feature you could want.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm very interested in the Mytek Brooklyn, I've read very good things so far. Same thing goes for PS Audio. Will look into the Simaudio suggestion.

Newbie question, if I used a DAC strictly as a pass through and used an amp to feed the signal to speakers, wouldn't this give the best sound?

Also, I used headphones from time to time for critical listening, but all other times I use my monitors.

Appreciate the input, thanks!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hardware:

Software:

Also, check out the JOB INTegrated Amp, its amazing for what it does and what it costs.

Lots of cord cutting benefits, but the performance is awesome and will put anyone over the moon.

If separates come into the picture, Yggdrasil from Schiit Audio is amazing value and what I'd start with obviously next to the speakers.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

I should have mentioned that the PC has no control over the volume of the stream, it's a direct stream going out via ASIO.

Will look into the benchmark options, heard good things about the DAC.

Hardware:

Software:

I'm having great success demoing a new downsized system - Rega Elicit R, a Rega DAC and Harbeth Compact 7's. Great Synergy and the Elicit will drive most speakers. (The Rega RP6/Dyna Cart sounds great as well!)

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

With this kind of budget I think Chord DACs are very hard to beat. Even sticking with Chord you have a few options, depending on how much cash you leave for the amp. Worth a bit of research to narrow down your options.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Newbie question, if I used a DAC strictly as a pass through and used an amp to feed the signal to speakers, wouldn't this give the best sound?

Feeding your DAC output to a good preamp or perhaps a pair of Dave Slagle autoformers, for (analog) volume control and subsequently feeding your active nearfield monitors, will probably give the best sound.

Looks like a great nearfield setup, will check this out!

Its hard to make any type of recommendation because we don't know anything about what type of sound you like. All you'll get this way is what other people like, but not necessarily you. All these products sound very different from each other.

One thing you say that stands out is that you like powered monitors because they're more accurate. That's a little vague. Everyone will define accuracy differently. Unlike most people on this web site, I'm not a big fan of powered speakers. I've had them at all different price levels and have always found that I could do a lot better for less money. Having an amp inside a speaker doesn't guarantee accuracy, however you define it. But that's just my opinion. I bring it up just to say that you don't have to lock yourself into one type of design. Consider everything and pick the one that sounds best.

Its hard to make any type of recommendation because we don't know anything about what type of sound you like. All you'll get this way is what other people like, but not necessarily you. All these products sound very different from each other.

One thing you say that stands out is that you like powered monitors because they're more accurate. That's a little vague. Everyone will define accuracy differently. Unlike most people on this web site, I'm not a big fan of powered speakers. I've had them at all different price levels and have always found that I could do a lot better for less money. Having an amp inside a speaker doesn't guarantee accuracy, however you define it. But that's just my opinion. I bring it up just to say that you don't have to lock yourself into one type of design. Consider everything and pick the one that sounds best.

Thank you, I admit I'm kind of all over the place here, too much coffee today.

I started this thread in hopes of learning about DAC/AMP duos that complement each other and finding out which ones are endorsed by the CA community. But I didn't give too much info about myself in the process.

About my listening tastes:

Techno and house on the weekends, with some Jazz and Blues as well during the day. Some electro pop/rock and hip hop too.

Weeknights feature easy listening, instrumental music and acoustic too. Daniel Lanois, Eric Clapton.

Judging by the mix of genres, I see an emphasis on lower end, so the mix would probably be 65% lower end vs 35% upper end.

I like detail and transparency, and a wide stage always sounds good to me. I honestly like a neutral sound but a slightly warm tint sounds just fine.

I'll put that out there and can elaborate if anyone wants [emoji3]

Hardware:

Software:

Reading your post re music / system preferences, it occurs to me that a Devialet Expert might suit. I think with your budget you could get a nearly new / second hand D200. Just! Devialet's major on detail, dig deep with respect to the bass, and for some reason do sound great with the electronic stuff. Might be worth a look?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Your system is nice but to me if you want to upgrade , for me the weakest link there is the speakers- but thats just me.

Interesting, I do plan on replacing them a little bit down the road. They have good sound for their size and cost.

I was looking at LS50's or Genelec's. Any suggestions? And why do you think they are the weakest link? I'm here to listen and learn.

Thanks,

Hardware:

Software:

I'm having great success demoing a new downsized system - Rega Elicit R, a Rega DAC and Harbeth Compact 7's. Great Synergy and the Elicit will drive most speakers. (The Rega RP6/Dyna Cart sounds great as well!)

How would you describe the sound of the Rega duo?

Hardware:

Software:

Feeding your DAC output to a good preamp or perhaps a pair of Dave Slagle autoformers, for (analog) volume control and subsequently feeding your active nearfield monitors, will probably give the best sound.

Thanks, for now that's the route I'm trying to stick to, unless I demo something that sounds good enough to eliminate the need for a separate pre-amp. The Mytek Brooklyn seems like a good candidate

Hardware:

Software:

Also, check out the JOB INTegrated Amp, its amazing for what it does and what it costs.

Lots of cord cutting benefits, but the performance is awesome and will put anyone over the moon.

If separates come into the picture, Yggdrasil from Schiit Audio is amazing value and what I'd start with obviously next to the speakers.

So you're recommending that I take a look at the speakers firstly?

I do want to upgrade them, maybe sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice

Hardware:

Software:

Hi, the benchmark looks promising, how would you describe the sound of the DAC? And what do you listen to?

Thanks

Hardware:

Software:

The Mytek Brooklyn seems like a good candidate

My understanding is you want an amplifier and DAC combo, the Brooklyn isn't.

So you're recommending that I take a look at the speakers firstly?

I do want to upgrade them, maybe sooner rather than later.

No, I meant in the context of building a new setup from the ground up, I would focus and spend the most on the speaker's first, spend an equal amount on the amplification (or at least as much as I could), and the Yggdrasil for the DAC.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

The biggest impact in sound in a system are the speakers- if you are building a new set up- recommend get the best speakers you can afford and then continue to upgrade the rest. With your current set up even if you add the best Dac for 4k you will be limited by the performance of your current emotiva speakers which are good but not at a level of a 4k Dac. But it is up to you.. For poweres speakers Genelec are highly regarded- The Kefs LS51 are awesome but you will need a separate amp to drive them- so it all depends how much room you have. This is the fun part of the hobbie-