IGNORED

Sonore microRendu - Ethernet Cables Observations, Considerations & Commentary

There is no Ethernet in my listening room. It would be difficult to bring Ethernet. Still, I would have pursued this except for numerous posters who said wifi sounded comparable.

I do not have a cable modem. Both Airport Extreme's are powered by good linear power supplies. I recently tried the latest generation AirPort Extreme ((with built in SMPS) and the system sounded terrible. I don't know how anyone could get good sound with one of these in their home. I suspect that this might have been what you heard too, as opposed to the wifi / wired issue.

Yes, I was using the latest Airport Extreme. They degrade the sound significantly.

Good to hear you're running linear power supplies. Make sure your cable modem is also on a linear power supply and not a wall wart.

I found ethernet power line sounds better than wi-fi.

That's not saying much as the power line is noisy. It's much better when plugged into my Entreq Powerus Challenger than a wall outlet.

I use a Waversa hub to regenerate the ethernet before feeding my streamer.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

Having said the above, if someone who has gone to the trouble of removing router SMPS's and still finds Ethernet to sound significantly better than wifi, if will buy a very long run of cable to test this.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I've got an HD Plex powering the main home router and a JS-2 powering the other Extreme (which runs in Bridge mode). I've also replaced the SMPS of our landline phone.

That is one fancy power supply for the Extreme.

I don't think Apple envisioned anyone doing that when they developed it.

I wonder if the power cord make any difference with the LPS for these routers.

That is one fancy power supply for the Extreme.

I don't think Apple envisioned anyone doing that when they developed it.

I wonder if the power cord make any difference with the LPS for these routers.

The JS-2 also powers the microRendu. Buying the JS-2 to only power a router would be a little too OCD, even for me! And yes, I did upgrade the power cords to both LPS's too. Nothing too fancy. Some basic PS Audio cables.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

There is no Ethernet in my listening room. It would be difficult to bring Ethernet. Still, I would have pursued this except for numerous posters who said wifi sounded comparable.

I just ditched my power line adapters for a direct ethernet connection.

It's worth it. More ease, refinement, and musicality.

I would rank: Direct > ethernet power line > wi-fi.

Ethernet power line was only listenable when plugged into my Entreq Powerus Challenger.

When it was plugged into a wall outlet, it was noisy but still better than wi-fi.

I just ditched my power line adapters for a direct ethernet connection.

It's worth it. More ease, refinement, and musicality.

I would rank: Direct > ethernet power line > wi-fi.

Ethernet power line was only listenable when plugged into my Entreq Powerus Challenger.

When it was plugged into a wall outlet, it was noisy but still better than wi-fi.

Was your comparison with wifi using the current Extreme (with the SMPS)?

I use "el cheapos" lps for my switches, modems etc. Save the big guns for the audio gear imo. I do have my hifi on two separate 20 amp circuits - that made the biggest difference of all.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Blue Jeans Cat 6

Jesus

By mistake I ordered 6a. I have a lot of possible network problems with my MicroRendu. It loose connection all time and it even freeze totally, so I have to pull the power plug. Is it worth trying to change to the cat 6a cable to cat 6?

My other problems discussed here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode-27274/index5.html#post584350 and here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index261.html#post584341

Jesus

By mistake I ordered 6a. I have a lot of possible network problems with my MicroRendu. It loose connection all time and it even freeze totally, so I have to pull the power plug. Is it worth trying to change to the cat 6a cable to cat 6?

My other problems discussed here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode-27274/index5.html#post584350 and here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index261.html#post584341

I'm not Jesus but since you quoted me I'll answer. ;-) I HIGHLY doubt that the issue is that you have 6a instead of the preferred Cat 6. The issues you're having are more likely something else.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If my two cents can help, I have had no issues and I've only tried class 5 (monster cable), class 7 (audioquest) and no names.

My only network issues with the microrendu and HQP came from the VPN service I have on the AV PC running Roon and HQ player. I just switch Express VPN off for Audio sessions. (But that is not the topic of this tread)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 1 month later...

Today I was able to purchase a set of FMC's (Fiber Media Converter) and a SC/SC cable at a very nice price. (He has 20 more units to sell).

Connect them between the MicroRendu and the local gigabit switch. The FMC is 10/100.

Just stoped the music. Connected, and started music again. Could not have been easier.

At the moment I can't tell if SQ got any better, but I'm quite sure it is not worse :)

Read in another tread that for one person the use of FMC was a degrading of SQ.

Anyone have experience with using FMC's ?

Did adding a better power on the "clean" side make any difference ?

Or does the MicroRendu act as a galvanic Ethernet isolator, so using FMC should in theory have no effect ? (I have the LPS-1).

My experience with TP-LINK mc200cm supplied SMPS is the clean side needed a better supply. I am using an iFi iPower and have not found, yet, that a battery would be better.

Are you saying that exchange the original smps with an iFi made a difference on the FMC (TP-Link mc200) feeding the MicroRendu?

And in general the use of FMC's made SQ better ?

Are you saying that exchange the original smps with an iFi made a difference on the FMC (TP-Link mc200) feeding the MicroRendu?

And in general the use of FMC's made SQ better ?

I experienced with the TP-LINK SMPS on the clean end sound was worse than with no optical isolation. In my setup there is not much noise to remove with optical isolation. This is likely a location dependant issue. I live in the sticks and share a power transformer with one neighbour.

In my setup the TPLink FMC units did make a positive difference even with the supplied SMPS adapters. Better yet with the commonly recommended Jameco Linear regulated adapters. EVEN better yet with the Tecknet phone charger batter on charge from a different linear regulated adapter. And BEST with the Tecknet not being charged.

But the difference between using the Tecknet battery while on charge and not is small, so I generally use it while connected to the charger so I don't have to worry about it discharging and possibly getting damaged (hopefully the output circuitry would prevent that, but I don't want to find out).

I did also do a very quick test between battery on both ends and only on the receiving end with the sending end supplied via the Jameco linear regulated adapter. I did not hear any difference here, I need to do it again to be sure, but if there is a difference I expect it is small.

YMMV!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Jesus

I'm using BJ 6a and don't have issues. When I did, it was solved by adding in a switch. Can't think of any reason 6a would cause those problems. Have you tried other cables - even standard Cat 5? If other cables also show the problem, highly unlikely it is the cable.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...

I found the FMCs made a difference in my system, using an IFI LPSU in the clean side; I have a cheap LPSU on order to power the small switch and dirty side FMC - you never know.

The other day I swapped out the CAT5e cables I was using from the switch > FMC (Dirty side) & FMC (Clean) > mR for CAT6 and then CAT7. In my system I found the CAT7 was definitely preferable.

M

I found the FMCs made a difference in my system, using an IFI LPSU in the clean side; I have a cheap LPSU on order to power the small switch and dirty side FMC - you never know.

The other day I swapped out the CAT5e cables I was using from the switch > FMC (Dirty side) & FMC (Clean) > mR for CAT6 and then CAT7. In my system I found the CAT7 was definitely preferable.

M

The iFi iPower Supply is a switching mode power supply and not a linear power supply. While I understand wanting to tweak things before the unit...you best money spent is first upgrading the power supply on the microRendu.

Thx J,

I am using an Sbooster with the mR. This is the IFI PSU that I was using with the mR when I first got it - I was wrongly under the impression that it was a LPSU. When the new PSU arrives I'll use it on the 'Clean' FMC.

M

If you purchase the LPS-1, it can power both your MicroRendu and FMC (clean side). :)

Hi R1200,

Nice bike by the way.

I've just relegated the FMCs to the loft, to put a media break from my main switch to the HiFi ....why? I bought an EMO-70-HD, this is twice the price of the FMC solution, but sounds better - may be due the removal of two SMPSs; resolves even more low level detail.

Having bought the SBooster when I bought the mR the LPS-1 will have to wait a while. I do keep trying to find a post by someone who has done a comparison of the LPSUs ...do you know of one?

M