IGNORED

Sonore microRendu - Ethernet Cables Observations, Considerations & Commentary

Hi Jesus, sorry if this has been discussed already. Can Sonore make a recommendation for type of Ethernet cabling to use with the Microrendu ? Specifically, can you address whether a non-shielded Ethernet cable is advantageous for isolation between components in a home/non data center type environment ? What about Cat 8 ? Thank you in advance, and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Thank You !

Hi Jesus, sorry if this has been discussed already. Can Sonore make a recommendation for type of Ethernet cabling to use with the Microrendu ? Specifically, can you address whether a non-shielded Ethernet cable is advantageous for isolation between components in a home/non data center type environment ? What about Cat 8 ? Thank you in advance, and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Thank You !

Blue Jeans Cat 6

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If you are considering replacing a lot of cable, perhaps some in the walls, then consider optical isolation right before the microRendu. There is a thread for this on CA. Perhaps use two TP-LINK MC200CM, short piece of fibre, pay attention to the power for the MC200CM feeding the microRendu and choose a shielded ethernet cable for the microRendu and connect the shield at only one end.

If you are considering replacing a lot of cable, perhaps some in the walls, then consider optical isolation right before the microRendu. There is a thread for this on CA. Perhaps use two TP-LINK MC200CM, short piece of fibre, pay attention to the power for the MC200CM feeding the microRendu and choose a shielded ethernet cable for the microRendu and connect the shield at only one end.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I plan on using two TP-Link fiber units, MC100, and ifi psu on the one closest to the MR, and the MR. How does one "unshield" an already factory shielded ethernet cable on one end ?

Blue Jeans Cat 6

I'd like to get some good ethernet cables to replace the commodity Tripp Lite stuff I'm currently using.

I've seen superdad report that he prefers BJC Cat 6a with floating shield (for galvanic isolation) after trying out a variety of cables. As jtwrace has reported, BJC recommends their Cat 6 over their own Cat 6a. So I'm confused. Does the BJC Cat 6 also have a floating shield?

I'd appreciate it if you two could help me decide which one to get for my micro rendu.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'd like to get some good ethernet cables to replace the commodity Tripp Lite stuff I'm currently using.

I've seen superdad report that he prefers BJC Cat 6a with floating shield (for galvanic isolation) after trying out a variety of cables. As jtwrace has reported, BJC recommends their Cat 6 over their own Cat 6a. So I'm confused. Does the BJC Cat 6 also have a floating shield?

I'd appreciate it if you two could help me decide which one to get for my micro rendu.

On another thread the other day @jtwrace was contradicted by someone who cited BJ website specs in favor of 6a. Jtwrace has in the past cited an email from BJ staff that gave reasons for the 6 being the better cable for CA purposes. I'm wondering if jtwrace tried to sort this out further in the meantime. Would be a small shame

if a misunderstanding led many readers to buy the wrong cable. I got the 6 because of the advice passed on from BJ.

Not important who is correct, just that the ambiguity gets cleared up IMHO. With regard to the 6, I don't believe it is shielded, but could be mistaken.

No reason to sort it out...the email I got from Jeff at BJC was very clear and that's why I posted on this forum.

This is what I posted from BJC to me.

I have tested the following Ethernet cables with my mRendu, BJC 6, BJC 6a, stock cat 7 from multiple manufacturers, stock cat 8, Supra Cat 8, and Audioquest Vodka.

For the most part, the performance differences weren't subtle

By far the Vodka outperformed all, noticeably fuller more natural, with reduced harshness and vocal clipping.

The Supra was second, followed closely by the BJC 6a.

The stock cables and the BJC 6 performed significantly poorer.

system: mRendu, Bricasti M1SE DAC, ATC CA2 pre, ATC SCM 20 actives. Primarily. Tellurium Q cabling and power cords, and I'm running a SonicTransporter as a Roon server, using a Synology NAS for source.

Hi, yep understood. Just observed that most don't have the unit doing the decoding - more tend to have the NAS or a PC - which makes sense since they have more powerful CPU's of course. I would do test to hear for myself but just wanted to understand people's reasons - guessing that everyone has tried to let the unit do the decoding. thanks again

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Sent from my VIVO XL using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I have tested the following Ethernet cables with my mRendu, BJC 6, BJC 6a, stock cat 7 from multiple manufacturers, stock cat 8, Supra Cat 8, and Audioquest Vodka.

By far the Vodka outperformed all, noticeably fuller more natural, with reduced harshness and vocal clipping.

system: mRendu, Bricasti M1SE DAC, ATC CA2 pre, ATC SCM 20 actives. Primarily. Tellurium Q cabling and power cords, and I'm running a SonicTransporter as a Roon server, using a Synology NAS for source.

Thank you for sharing. I will try the Vodka.

After changing from a cheap cat5 cable to the BJ Cat6a I do feel more harshness.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Amazing what different cables will do. On a whim swapped out the Melco ethernet cable that was going from NAS to switch with the AQ cinnamon that was going to the Rendu from same switch. Much bigger bass, smoother more cohesive sound, wider soundstage, etc. I tried this before with my Ls50's and the bass actually became too big for those speakers (they were up against the wall), but with my new Rega RX3's, the bass was a bit lean with the AQ Cinnamon, but now very good with the Melco.

I do have a run of AQ Cinnamon that goes from the switch in the basement closet up the wall to the hifi in the living room above. For that I put in a cheap connector, from which I put in the short length of Melco. Now get this: when I swiped the AQ with the Melco, I did notice an increase in sibilance. I later spotted that the AQ cable had been attached to the Nas (a Vortexbox actually) with the direction on the cable backwards. Turned it around and sibilance better. Go figure.....

So ethernet cables do matter, as much as the USB out. One doesn't have to go all the way to Vodka either, imo, to hear the results.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Go figure.....

So ethernet cables do matter, as much as the USB out. One doesn't have to go all the way to Vodka either, imo, to hear the results.

Hi Charles,

Sigh, I have started down a path I swore I would avoid, after all - this way madness lies. I have been using CAT5e cables since the mid-90s when I networked my house. However, last week I replaced a 0.5m patch cable from a small switch to my mR with a CAT7. The result? More focused bass and detail, however, also more sibilence when listening to Quboz. Put the CAT5e lead back in, more defuse but more relaxed .....bugger, repeatable effect.

I have now ordered an AQ Cinnamon cable.

.....also order an Sbooster USB Vbus isolator to block the USB power, thought it might be a bit neater than sticky tape!7

M

For the AQ, is is connected directly to your router? What is your IP? Just trying to visualize the complete path. Thanks!

mb

For the AQ, is is connected directly to your router? What is your IP? Just trying to visualize the complete path. Thanks!

mb

Thanks for asking.

The mRendu Vodka is connected directly to the router, as are the Ethernet cables for the SonicTransporter ad Synology NAS. I am using Vodkas for those as well. While the difference isn't as significant as it is for the mRendu, it is noticeable.

I created static local IPs for each. I configured the router to refresh IPs monthly.

From the mRendu I go to a Bricasti DAC using a Curious USB and from the DAC I go to a preamp instead of directly to an amp.

If can also use DLNA (minimserver and Bubble on the NAS) which would have saves an Ethernet connection.

The Supra Cat 8s are a good bargain at $47, as is the BJC 6a at $13.

I just replaced the AQ Cinnamon with AQ Vodka for a meaningful improvement. The Vodka connects the microRendu to an AirPort Extreme (Bridge Mode), which gets the signal by wifi from the main home AirPort Extreme, in another room.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Thanks for asking.

The mRendu Vodka is connected directly to the router, as are the Ethernet cables for the SonicTransporter ad Synology NAS. I am using Vodkas for those as well. While the difference isn't as significant as it is for the mRendu, it is noticeable.

I created static local IPs for each. I configured the router to refresh IPs monthly.

From the mRendu I go to a Bricasti DAC using a Curious USB and from the DAC I go to a preamp instead of directly to an amp.

If can also use DLNA (minimserver and Bubble on the NAS) which would have saves an Ethernet connection.

The Supra Cat 8s are a good bargain at $47, as is the BJC 6a at $13.

Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I just replaced the AQ Cinnamon with AQ Vodka for a meaningful improvement. The Vodka connects the microRendu to an AirPort Extreme (Bridge Mode), which gets the signal by wifi from the main home AirPort Extreme, in another room.

Hi Ultrarunner, could you describe a bit the differences between the AQ Cinnamon and Vodka in your experience?

I'm testing around with some AQ Pearl, AQ Cinnamon and some older Monster cable and am experiencing quite some audible differences

Hi Ultrarunner, could you describe a bit the differences between the AQ Cinnamon and Vodka in your experience?

I'm testing around with some AQ Pearl, AQ Cinnamon and some older Monster cable and am experiencing quite some audible differences

It's been a while since the change so I can't remember precisely. My wife (with whom I usually do comparisons for a second opinion) and I, both felt it was a further improvement in the direction of naturalness and increased subtle details. Enough that I would definitely recommend the cable in a good system.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Can you go fully wired?

Ditch the airport extreme and cable modem.

Get a 1 box Netgear modem/router and power it with a good linear power supply.

You will be stunned with the gains.

Once I took out the airport extreme and cable modem wall wart, there was no looking back.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

Can you go fully wired?

Once I took out the airport extreme and cable modem wall wart, there was no looking back.

Which linear PSU are you using?

Can you go fully wired?

There is no Ethernet in my listening room. It would be difficult to bring Ethernet. Still, I would have pursued this except for numerous posters who said wifi sounded comparable.

I do not have a cable modem. Both Airport Extreme's are powered by good linear power supplies. I recently tried the latest generation AirPort Extreme ((with built in SMPS) and the system sounded terrible. I don't know how anyone could get good sound with one of these in their home. I suspect that this might have been what you heard too, as opposed to the wifi / wired issue.