IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It would be illegal and unethical.

If you don't like a company's practices, complain, and worst case, vote with your wallet and spend your money elsewhere.

What you shouldn't do is break the law.

Pretty hard if someone is already invested in the product. 

It's only a firmware update not an entire operating system, again weren't updates promised for life?

They are paid members on here so this is a mini protest/complaint. I don't believe I am the only one. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

33 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

What is stopping someone uploading the file to the net so everyone can have it for free instantly? Previous updated where over the net for free with no waiting.... 

I discussed this with Jesus. He did not give his aproval. 

And posting the image is not piracy in my opinion. But you will make a problem for almost all users, as Jesus stated he will stop shipping if done. 

11 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

It's only a firmware update not an entire operating system, again weren't updates promised for life?

They are paid members on here so this is a mini protest/complaint. I don't believe I am the only one. 

No, we weren't promised updates for life.

AFAIK, it is a new version of the OS. 

If you get the new version, it will have free updates, until Sonore decides it won't. Or until the OS is no longer supported (as happens with all OSes at some point). 

What is the big deal? Sonore already said there are no SQ improvements here, so nothing is stopping you from using your present version. 

They made a decision that it was best for both users and themselves to do the update on an SD card, as that prevents a lot of user angst (update issues) and support activity by them. Clearly, the percent of failed updates will be orders of magnitude lower with this system.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

No, that was never promised.

As stated in previous posts, it would be both unethical and illegal/piracy to distribute software for which you have no license to do so.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, bunno77 said:

What is stopping someone uploading the file to the net so everyone can have it for free instantly? Previous updated where over the net for free with no waiting.... 

I like that attitude: don't like some company's politics? Let's rob it... xD

...I'm still waiting on the release notes to decide whether to buy the update or not.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

It would be illegal and unethical.

If you don't like a company's practices, complain, and worst case, vote with your wallet and spend your money elsewhere.

What you shouldn't do is break the law.

51 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

34 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I discussed this with Jesus. He did not give his aproval. 

And posting the image is not piracy in my opinion. But you will make a problem for almost all users, as Jesus stated he will stop shipping if done. 

The distribution is being handled this way in order to minimize the number of issues.  I don't think they're trying to make any money off this upgrade.  If they were they'd be charging a lot more.  Anyone claiming they're doing this as a money grab is barking up the wrong tree.  It could have been communicated a lot better, and that would have prevented all this groaning.

If you run a company, troubleshooting issues to resolution can be time consuming.  That time is money and frustration to the vendor, especially when there are only a couple people, or even one, providing customer service.  By distributing the new OS on the card it potentially reduces the amount of issues and support required to resolve.  It also reduces the number of complaints about these issues which is ultimately bad publicity in the small advertising space of these forums and community.

Is it illegal or piracy?  Perhaps because the vendor expressed their opinion in the forum.  It would depend on the EULA if there even is one.  Certainly personal sharing is against the vendor's wishes and could void your warranty or their willingness to assist you if you brick your device.  Since Sonore doesn't want it distributed that way, don't do it.  Or if you do, don't expect them to help you if you have issues.

Finally, one of the biggest problems I see here, and in other threads, relates to expression of personal opinion.  If you do, you end up being in one of two camps.  Someone who agrees with the subject in discussion and often times sounds like a brown nose,  or someone who has some kind of differing opinion and is attacked or shunned for having one.  Those who complain, as what several in this post have done, are getting attacked for complaining.  The problem with attacking someone for complaining is that there are reasons for that complaint.  Had the vendor in this situation better explained why they are doing this, or pointed to a EULA, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  If there's an established EULA up front then the consumer knows what they are purchasing and the legality of it.  This is common practice.  Anything not in the EULA is up for debate and usually up to the vendor's discretion.

As Ausinpop said, if you don't like it there is another option. You can buy another option instead.  That's your right as a consumer and sends the strongest message to the vendor.  I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing your opinion, but unless the vendor tells you that you have a right to the upgrade at no cost, you don't have an argument.  And if they update their policy they should inform all of their consumers so they are aware.

I received the SD card yesterday, powered down through GUI, disconnected all cables, swap cards, reconnected all cables, went back to GUI, but "No Sonicorbiter OS based music players found on your network" it's the only message I get and the microrendu does not power up. I reinstalled 2.3 and it's working fine. Any help, please?

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

<snip>

Is it illegal or piracy?  Perhaps because the vendor expressed their opinion in the forum.  It would depend on the EULA if there even is one.  Certainly personal sharing is against the vendor's wishes and could void your warranty or their willingness to assist you if you brick your device.  Since Sonore doesn't want it distributed that way, don't do it.  Or if you do, don't expect them to help you if you have issues.

<snip>

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's debatable, whether EULAs are legally binding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-user_license_agreement). For me, it's rather a question of value I get for the money. If something is worth it, I pay. If not... well, why bother, it'd be worthless for me anyway.

4 minutes ago, andifor said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's debatable, whether EULAs are legally binding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-user_license_agreement). For me, it's rather a question of value I get for the money. If something is worth it, I pay. If not... well, why bother, it'd be worthless for me anyway.

Unless its being offered for free.

I believe EULAs are supposed to be binding, but they are not always enforced.  That's up to the vendor and can be more costly to prosecute than it's worth.

Just now, Johnseye said:

Unless its being offered for free.

I believe EULAs are supposed to be binding, but they are not always enforced.  That's up to the vendor and can be more costly to prosecute than it's worth.

They are not binding where I live, and some other countries I know off. But I think, that's not the point of the initial discussion.

Hi everyone,

My setup consists of KEF LS50 Wireless Speakers and a bluesound Node 2 streamer, controlled by android tablet.

Can a MR be integrated into this system without having to use a laptop/roon?

A review of the ls50s on digitalaudioreview.net mentions using them with a microrendu and a node 2 but I can't see how this can be done.

Am I missing something!?

Innuos Zenith MK2, Innuos Phoenix USB re-clocker, KEF LS50 active speakers

8 minutes ago, Tait said:

Hi everyone,

My setup consists of KEF LS50 Wireless Speakers and a bluesound Node 2 streamer, controlled by android tablet.

A review of the ls50s on digitalaudioreview.net mentions using them with a microrendu and a node 2 but I can't see how this can be done.

Am I missing something!?

The Node 2 does not appear to be a file server. The KEF mentioned is probably the LS50W Powered Music System. 

15 minutes ago, Tait said:

Hi everyone,

Am I missing something!?

i'd say you missed a step... a read of the user manual and maybe a call to KEF. Web says and shows you have a 192khz asynch USB connection. So hopefully its a plug and play compliant asynch USB DAC section that could be used with the mRendu USB port.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

35 minutes ago, davide256 said:

i'd say you missed a step... a read of the user manual and maybe a call to KEF. Web says and shows you have a 192khz asynch USB connection. So hopefully its a plug and play compliant asynch USB DAC section that could be used with the mRendu USB port.

Even if that's the case, where does the node 2 come into the equation?

From reading the review, I can only assume that Roon was being used.

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe reed one more time:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/

Also these speakers will soon be Roon ready. 

My mistake, it was actually the review on the other site he contributes too...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

The last paragraph at the end, he refers to adding both the MR and node 2 to the LS50'S.

I have heard that these will be Roon ready at a later date. However id like to avoid having to have a laptop switched on every time I use the kefs if possible.

I'm guessing that's not the case though if I want to incorporate an MR right?

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, this is what Jesus shared with me.  It is better.  I will share a quote from Chris's review of another device in which he compares the mR. "On the rare occasion that someone has an enterprise class network (think Cisco switches and the like), and plays 24/192 content or DSD128 or upsampled HQPlayer material, the microRendu can drop tons of packets. This leads to dropouts because the mR's 1 Gbps Ethernet interface can't keep up with the incoming data."

The same interface that can't keep a ping time at <1ms consistently, but whatever.  Like you say it should make absolutely no difference to the sound quality. Nothing's wrong with it. It sounds just fine.

Jesus also informed me this is not a fix, it is how the new OS behaves.

I`m happy it has less latency than before.  Who knows, maybe this new version resolves the issue Chris pointed out.  Although that's not an issue either because it sounds just fine and none of this should make a difference in the sound quality or functionality of the unit.

What Chris doesn't explicitly mention is that it works fine for him at those same rates with RoonReady. He did confirmed for me that there is no change between 2.3 and 2.5. He also advised that he can reproduce the issue 100% of the time with some Linux devices and he can stop it from happening by inserting something like a Baaske isolator to slow down the traffic. Anyway if you are dropping tons of packets you can tell...it sounds like machine gun fire.   

4 hours ago, Tait said:

My mistake, it was actually the review on the other site he contributes too...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

The last paragraph at the end, he refers to adding both the MR and node 2 to the LS50'S.

I have heard that these will be Roon ready at a later date. However id like to avoid having to have a laptop switched on every time I use the kefs if possible.

I'm guessing that's not the case though if I want to incorporate an MR right?

My guess is that he had both connected to it and not necessarily on one working with the other. If you wanted to use Tidal or Qobuz with your laptop off that can work. If you want local content played then you need to have a file server of some kind. A NAS or computer running server software would also work.   

On 5/5/2017 at 7:56 AM, Strojo said:

I received my 2.5 SD card yesterday and installed it per the instructions.  My MR doesn't boot--no network lights come up.  If I put the old card in, it works fine and boots as normal.

Jesus--Please advise.

Sorry to ask but are you sure you inserted the card correctly? 

I received my card Friday and it was an absolute no-brainer. However, I have not tried it fully yet (I was leaving for the weekend). 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics