IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

11 hours ago, simonp said:

Is there a way to use a output mode (I use squeezebox server now) where you can choose play from ram memory?

There are a lot off network issues on the ca forum. It would be helpful if you could load the data first in the sd card and then play.

I don't see how such would be practical in helping with extremely slow networks. If network cannot keep up retrieving data while playing, then pre-loading the data would become unusably slow.

Let's say you have a 5 minutes long song. If network is too slow to load it while playing, it means that it would take more than 5 minutes to load it at the beginning. Imagine listening to a playlist with such, pause longer than a song every time song changes... :D

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Jesus, regarding the Spotify connect function, is it possible when beeing in  Roon mode to use the spotify connect function ?  So will Spotify Connect overrule the existing mode, or do I have to go into the menu and manually swich between Roon and Spotify.

It not, is it possible in a future upgrade to let the connect function overrule the default function?( and, after using connect, go back in the default function)

8 hours ago, zegel said:

Jesus, regarding the Spotify connect function, is it possible when beeing in  Roon mode to use the spotify connect function ?  So will Spotify Connect overrule the existing mode, or do I have to go into the menu and manually swich between Roon and Spotify.

It not, is it possible in a future upgrade to let the connect function overrule the default function?( and, after using connect, go back in the default function)

It's not currently possible. It also goes against the premise of the product where we keep things separate for stability. 

On 4/20/2017 at 5:30 PM, jhwalker said:

I think folks are wanting your "goodness" quicker ;) and potentially saving the $20.

Personally, I'm fine with the SD care distribution (though I'd prefer the free download option!), but a bit disappointed the fix for the native DSD "pop" at the beginning of playback was not bundled into the existing 2.3 distribution - that's really the only feature I'm really pining for!

Same here.  I already pre-ordered the card, but the DSD pop bug fix was the primary motivating factor.  I'm just glad that it wasn't actually a flaw in my DAC.

So I am paying the $20 but this just feels like a money grab to me. I got this unit during its first few months of launch and it hasn't even been a year and the development cycle has ended? New features only include native dsd support for some DACs, spotify and songcast? For people using this on roon and have a DoP DSD DAC, this just feels like $20 for no reason. Extremely disappointing. 

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

6 minutes ago, JBNY said:

So I am paying the $20 but this just feels like a money grab to me. I got this unit during its first few months of launch and it hasn't even been a year and the development cycle has ended? New features only include native dsd support for some DACs, spotify and songcast? For people using this on roon and have a DoP DSD DAC, this just feels like $20 for no reason. Extremely disappointing. 

If there isn't something in the upgrade of value to you, Jesus said it's not necessary to do the update. Save the $20 and wait to see what's in the next one.

1 minute ago, daverich4 said:

If there isn't something in the upgrade of value to you, Jesus said it's not necessary to do the update. Save the $20 and wait to see what's in the next one.

I understand it not necessary, but I would rather not have EOL software on the MR. In the future if I ever have a problem, the solution would always be get the new software. Easier to just keep it up to date. It seems like maybe they could have just raised the price of the MR originally by a few dollars rather than nickle and dime us every year or so for a few extra bucks.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Just now, barrows said:

WOW!  Yes, I work for Sonore.  Right now it is hard to believe some of the criticism here.  While I understand it is impossible to please everybody all of the time, some of this is just completely out of line.  In making the above statement do you have any idea how many man hours were required to develop the new firmware distribution?  I can tell you that there was a lot of hard work done to produce the new OS.  

You do not have to purchase the new firmware anyway...  your µRendu will continue to work as is without it...

I have worked in software development so I do know how many hours go into firmware updates and QA. If this were a $60 piece of software that was getting an new version and the upgrade was $20 I would understand. This is a $700 piece of audio equipment that is asking for an upgrade fee for the firmware in less than a year after launch. I understand that I don't have to upgrade. I'm not "outraged" by the decision to charge for the firmware upgrade just disappointed. I've got audio products I bought 12 years ago that still get regular firmware updates. 

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

Gotta say I think you are really overreacting. $20 is probably the minimum to cover the cost of the SD card and to mail it to all customers worldwide, so I don't see how it is in any way a "money grab" - how much do you think is left over from the $20?

Jesus already said the update has nothing to do with SQ, just adds some features, and secondary ones at that.  So if you don't want to fund the so-called money grab, just don't order it.

Sonore decided that the simplest, most effective way to do the update was through switching the card with the OS pre loaded. Little chance of any issue with this method. The other methods suggested by users would probably result in lots of problems, install failures, upset users and endless support for Sonore.

So both sides win with this method.

Most mR owners have at least $700 (including PS) inversted in the mR, and probably $thousands in their systems. $20 bucks is reallly nothing here - the price of one hi-res download. What's the big deal? Again, if the $20 is that big a deal, just don't get the update and you will never know the difference. 

It's not that big of a deal. As I said I'm not outraged, yes it's only $20, I've already paid for the upgrade. Just expressing I'm not rolling over happy about paying $20 for the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, JBNY said:

This is a $700 piece of audio equipment that is asking for an upgrade fee for the firmware in less than a year after launch.

I think you haven't understood the issue here. 

They don't asked for a upgrade fee. You pay for the SD card and shipping. 

If you should complain about something, it's how the SW is distributed, but that has already been addressed, and we may not like it, but that is how Sonore decided to do it.

The link in the mail from Sonore was by the way very nice done. Two clicks and done.

2 hours ago, JBNY said:

+1

Competing SOtM sMS-200 endpoint software had several updates and all of them were free.

It is even more surprising if you consider that the manufacturing cost if each unit is ~$150, so their profit for each unit sold (no dealer markup !) is around ~ $500.  

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

7 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

Competing SOtM sMS-200 endpoint software had several updates and all of them were free.

So has the MicroRendu. 

Now there there is a new Linux core. Has SOtM done a complete OS upgrade ?  Have you compared the OS versions in use ?

If you own a MicroRendu, I suggest you sell it and purchase the sms-200 ?

But you don't, do you ?

4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If you own a MicroRendu, I suggest you sell it and purchase the sms-200 ?

That wouldn't be prudent. I actually sold my (second) microRendu AFTER I got the SOtM sMS-200 and spent some quality time comapring the two.

The SOtM sMS-200 was better sounding in my system, so it stayed. It is also cheaper at $499 (may matter to some)  and doesn't run hot.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

2 hours ago, JBNY said:

It's not that big of a deal. As I said I'm not outraged, yes it's only $20, I've already paid for the upgrade. Just expressing I'm not rolling over happy about paying $20 for the upgrade. 

I would definitely have shown sympathy for you since you are very well entitled to voice your disappointment whatever the fee maybe, BUT the 'money grab' comment is quite insulting to the Sonore team as Barrows pointed out.

I joined CA so it can serve me the purpose to find that 'Holy Grail' component, and the microRendu sits there for what I've been yearning for so long. Great manufacturers and industry folk have come and gone, but Sonore have always been present here so the microRendu does give that feeling it's been community backed.

I am very satisfied with 2.3 for now, and will move onto 2.5 whenever necessary, but I will be looking forward most to the next generation microRendu (hardware).

Take a crumb of comfort and get the 60 day Roon coupon from Jesus, if you haven't already (or you already purchased Roon).

I ordered my card as soon as the email was sent out. The way I look at it - if I can like Spotify as much as Tidal, and I cancel Tidal, I will SAVE $20 a month. I already have a Spotify  subscription, as thats all the wife will use. Tidal and my Roon system play almost too well together. Separating my library from a streaming music service might be worthwhile.

Thank you team Sonore.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

4 hours ago, Elberoth said:

the manufacturing cost if each unit is ~$150

Don't forget that the microRendu effectively has an Uptone USB Regen inside it as well. Add that to the cost of the sMS-200 and you're basically at parity, and I do believe that licensing costs are involved for use of the Uptone technology.

I also own both the sMS-200 and microRendu, though haven't dedicated any time to comparing them yet. I'm also wondering how SotM's new USB gizmodoodle will compare to the new Uptone ISO and whether a new microRendu with the new Uptone technology may be in the works.

So many things to wonder about ! So much potential for spending more money ! So glad we have innovators like Uptone and Sonore creating great products for us !

13 hours ago, mrvco said:

Same here.  I already pre-ordered the card, but the DSD pop bug fix was the primary motivating factor.  I'm just glad that it wasn't actually a flaw in my DAC.

This is not a fix, but rather a work around. Your DAC is not muting during the transitions so the operating system is playing silence to emulate the muting action. Some DACs mute properly and don't have the POP. Anyway, this work around is a welcome addition to the platform.    

8 hours ago, JBNY said:

I don't think this qualifies as a money grad. The native DSD POP free feature has been something we have been waiting for years and the update with it's prerequisites are not set by us. Also, the updated facilited adding Spotify Connect. At the same time Sonicorbiter 2.3 is stable and doesn't need continuous maintenance anymore.  

8 hours ago, JBNY said:

I understand it not necessary, but I would rather not have EOL software on the MR. In the future if I ever have a problem, the solution would always be get the new software. Easier to just keep it up to date. It seems like maybe they could have just raised the price of the MR originally by a few dollars rather than nickle and dime us every year or so for a few extra bucks.

Our business model is not to nickel and dime you every year or so for a few extra bucks. We have been updating the Sonicorbiter operating system almost on a continuous basis and have made everything available for free with the click of a button.  

8 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

Geez - Thanks Barrows. I am just a VERY happy client - and I bit my nails 25 times in the past week or so reading some very out of line comments. I started to write replies to these posts - but I refrained because I would have been very nasty... I don't know how Jesus coped with all this shit. Very, very gracious. Guys - You want something, you have to pay for it. That's how things work. Why would people work for free? AND endure your ranting on top of it? And the benefits of the mRendu transcend what I paid for it, 20 times over.

Keep up on the good, work, and I can't wait to send $20 your way. Well deserved. Peace now, please.

Next time I might consider not offering anything in order to keep the piece. Or just make it available on a new model like other companies do. Just kidding....that is not what we do.