IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

1 hour ago, Nikko1960 said:

Let's just noodle on this shall we?

"I prefer not to get into sound quality comparisons".

I could see your point if someone was asking you for a comparison with a competing product, but here we're asking for a comparison between two generations of the same product, both of which come from you.  You sell a product that is all about *enhancing sound quality* FFS! Can't you see how absurd, bordering on contemptuous of your customers, this statement is??

Anyone who knows me knows I don't tell them what the should or should not hear. The Shairport and Songcast output protocols have protocol limitations that affect the sound quality no matter how incredible the hardware they run on is. The other output protocols have newer and more stable versions and that is what we have updated to. Feedback on them will very as usual and no need to inject my opinion into the mix. 

With respect to sound quality and the $20 update, I think there is a different question to ask.  Is there anything in the updates that may have an impact on sound quality, or more specifically, anything included in the updates with the specific aim of potentially improving sound quality?

Alternatively, are all the update simply adding new features, compatibility, bug fixes and so on, and any sound quality changes merely resultant form this and unintentional?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Another question on the microRendu: is it possible to turn of the "drive service"? I don't know whether it's SMB or something other, but my mR provides some storage_readonly with empty movies, music, and pictures folders.

I don't need this service and frankly, I don't know what it's used for :o) Anyway I want to turn off the according service, is this possible? Currently, I use OS version 2.3.

4 hours ago, andifor said:

Another question on the microRendu: is it possible to turn of the "drive service"? I don't know whether it's SMB or something other, but my mR provides some storage_readonly with empty movies, music, and pictures folders.

Just delete it. If you for any reason need it, it will be available under the available apps. 

I just deleted mine, just so you can be sure my advice is valid ?

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Jesus

Is the $20 including shipping cost world wide ?

If no, what is estimated shipping cost ?

I don't need these new functionality, but I don't mind spend those $20, as I suspect it will benefit future updates. 

It's going to be a flat rate world wide. 

12 hours ago, Confused said:

With respect to sound quality and the $20 update, I think there is a different question to ask.  Is there anything in the updates that may have an impact on sound quality, or more specifically, anything included in the updates with the specific aim of potentially improving sound quality?

Alternatively, are all the update simply adding new features, compatibility, bug fixes and so on, and any sound quality changes merely resultant form this and unintentional?

That is a loaded question. I can tell you there is nothing intentionally done to make it worse:) These applications are maintained by very highly skilled people and IMO their commitment is generally to make things better and more stable. We have been testing here and we are pleased with the results.    

15 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I just went through some of the Settings pages on my unit and for the most part you pick DoP or native DSD and press Save. On RoonReady you have a selection for Volume as well. Spotify Connect has no selections to make so you just press save. NAA doesn't have a Settings page so nothing to do there. SqueezeLIte has a bunch of options, but generally I don't recommend that people mess with them so you select DoP or native DSD and press Save. You may have a few more things to do, but this is the basic process.       

I think I know what the settings for my to mRs are, but I'm pretty sure I'll miss something, and waste time trying to track down the mismatch. It would be much nicer if you were to provide at least a small app/script for 2.3 that lists out all settings to the Web interface so that we can save them and re-apply after upgrading. I'm happy to pay the 20 bucks per unit (especially if some of that goes to fund further development), but I'm not happy wasting time reconfiguring systems that have been running untouched for many months. You made such a good, stable product that the kind of primitive upgrade you plan is a bit shocking by contrast. If your product was like C*****t's or A***e's, we would just shrug our shoulders and move on, but you set some high standards.

I created an open home renderer in bubbleupnp app on the u Rendu to work with lumin and kazoo.  That's the setting I'm not looking forward to redoing.  My assumption is I'll need to start from scratch on it.  Is that correct?  I can certainly do it.  But as a Luddite, it's not something I look forward to ;)

7 minutes ago, earnmyturns said:

I think I know what the settings for my to mRs are, but I'm pretty sure I'll miss something, and waste time trying to track down the mismatch. It would be much nicer if you were to provide at least a small app/script for 2.3 that lists out all settings to the Web interface so that we can save them and re-apply after upgrading. I'm happy to pay the 20 bucks per unit (especially if some of that goes to fund further development), but I'm not happy wasting time reconfiguring systems that have been running untouched for many months. You made such a good, stable product that the kind of primitive upgrade you plan is a bit shocking by contrast. If your product was like C*****t's or A***e's, we would just shrug our shoulders and move on, but you set some high standards.

I'm confident you will sort it out. I already said that Sonicrbiter 2.3 is at the end of the development cycle and we are not going to make any such script. The 20 USD will only cover getting you the card and no development will be funded from it. If your not happy wasting time reconfiguring your systems...don't update your units. This is not a mandatory update.  

1 hour ago, sockpit said:

I created an open home renderer in bubbleupnp app on the u Rendu to work with lumin and kazoo.  That's the setting I'm not looking forward to redoing.  My assumption is I'll need to start from scratch on it.  Is that correct?  I can certainly do it.  But as a Luddite, it's not something I look forward to ;)

You don't actually need to do that to get started playing music via the MPD/DLNA output mode. When the application starts it will already be a OpenHome Renderer. I'm not sure if Sonicorbiter 2.3 works this way, but we made sure Sonicorbiter 2.5 does. You may need to use BubbleUPnP Server for other reasons. I use it because I'm use to it. Anyway, this is the only page that you need to configure:

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 11.11.43 PM.png

9 hours ago, earnmyturns said:

I think I know what the settings for my to mRs are, but I'm pretty sure I'll miss something, and waste time trying to track down the mismatch.

Why not just use a print screen tool, like Gadwin PrintScreen to document your settings. ?

10 hours ago, sockpit said:

I created an open home renderer in bubbleupnp app on the u Rendu to work with lumin and kazoo.

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You don't actually need to do that to get started playing music via the MPD/DLNA output mode. When the application starts it will already be a OpenHome Renderer. I'm not sure if Sonicorbiter 2.3 works this way, but we made sure Sonicorbiter 2.5 does. You may need to use BubbleUPnP Server for other reasons. I use it because I'm use to it. Anyway, this is the only page that you need to configure:

Jesus, you got me confused here about the need for BubbleUPnPServer following the 2.5 update. Is it still needed to use lumin or kazoo as control points to drive the mrendu in DLNA mode ?

5 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

Jesus, you got me confused here about the need for BubbleUPnPServer following the 2.5 update. Is it still needed to use lumin or kazoo as control points to drive the mrendu in DLNA mode ?

Those controllers work with OpenHome renderers and Sonicorbiter 2.5 is one. As an example you would need BubbleUPnP Server to add Tidal and Qobuz to Kazoo. 

AXPONA Notice:

Jeff Rowland Design Group and Joseph Audio will be hosting a Sonore Signature Series Power Supply and Sonore microRendu with the Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system in room 426. 

Joel Durand is also using a Sonore microRendu with the Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system, but I'm not sure what Room he is in.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why not just use a print screen tool, like Gadwin PrintScreen to document your settings. ?

Thanks, I just did it but a bit differently: went to each setting page I could recall as relevant and printed it from Chrome as PDF to an appropriate file & folder. I have now a record of all the settings that matter for my systems (I think). Might as well, independently of the 2.5 release.

51 minutes ago, earnmyturns said:

Thanks, I just did it but a bit differently: went to each setting page I could recall as relevant and printed it from Chrome as PDF to an appropriate file & folder. I have now a record of all the settings that matter for my systems (I think). Might as well, independently of the 2.5 release.

You are going to have the original micro SD card and you can insert it into the other unit and compare them over the network. 

Is there a way to use a output mode (I use squeezebox server now) where you can choose play from ram memory?

There are a lot off network issues on the ca forum. It would be helpful if you could load the data first in the sd card and then play. 

I also use daphile and has a direct memory play, and I believe auralic does the same with the latest firmware.

The Microrendu has the benefits from a lps1 because off the small power consumption it would be nice when it can play direct from the memory.  

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

11 hours ago, simonp said:

Is there a way to use a output mode (I use squeezebox server now) where you can choose play from ram memory?

There are a lot off network issues on the ca forum. It would be helpful if you could load the data first in the sd card and then play. 

I also use daphile and has a direct memory play, and I believe auralic does the same with the latest firmware.

The Microrendu has the benefits from a lps1 because off the small power consumption it would be nice when it can play direct from the memory.  

Those are primarily server side playback schemes. In some cases the microRendu is just a pass through device and in some cases it is decoding the files. Decoding takes place on a devices that is solid state and memory is used for buffering. This isn't really a "feature" and more an inherent capability of the decoding application.