IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

4 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Will the existing app settings on the microrendu be preserved after the switch to the new SD card, or will they have to be reentered by hand ?

You'd be getting a fresh card, you will lose all your settings. But how many settings do you have? Can't you replicate them easily? The MAC address won't change so if you have an IP reserved you'd still pick that up and then you can use the web interface to put your setting back into the mR.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

40 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Nah... I can see exactly what is in the card I have and make an image and make another card off of that - I have tried this and it works just fine. There's no difference in terms of what you can see whether you image the card or you get it in the mail.

I was talking about IP protection by not putting an image to download on the web.  You're right though, it isn't a compelling point.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

16 hours ago, vortecjr said:

6. A SongCast receiver has been added to the existing MPD/DLNA output mode. This new output mode accept streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application can be installed and uninstalled from the Software manager. The application is in Beta form.

What sample rates/bit depths are supported by this SongCast implementation?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

8 hours ago, rickca said:

Maybe another motivation is protection of Sonicorbiter IP.  I don't know how you can do a 'secret' link.  Jesus always wants to keep the user experience good and avoid foreseeable support issues.  

What I'm saying is that you pay between 0 and 20, and based on that you get access to the image. 

I think for that price most of us will respect the "IP", and not share the image.

He can do a clever twist and offer a download for a limited time or price like $10, and to those that those like the card in mail, they just pay the $20.

But I suspect the $20 is meant to only cover the SD card and possible some freight and/or labor.

Which bring us back to just being offered the image as a download. 

But as to avoid some reverse engineering or cracking the admin PW (protect IP), he may like to make the download personally, which may take some effort to accomplish. I don't know. 

Actually I be rather more attempt to make the image public myself, if he is just that paranoid about protect the IP, and only like to use mail. As said anyone can take the present image and make public if they like. 

I'm saying this cause SGC was very reluctant helping me earlier with a new SSD to my SonicTransporter. And I was never given a reason for why I could not purchase a SSD with the SonicOrbiter installed, but requested to ship my whole unit back to the US from Norway.

If I had the necessary Linux skills, I might find a way to install a clone of SonicOrbiter from a small SSD to a bigger one, but I don't think its that simple. 

Well I hope soon we get an proper answer. 

12 hours ago, miguelito said:

Could you make an image available please? I have made backups of the card by creating an image on my computer that I can write back to the card(s). I have a second card that I have imaged this way and works perfectly.

We are just going to offering the micro SD card for purchase.  

12 hours ago, Al Jones said:

Jesus,

Items 3 through 6 on your list of new features and enhancements are of no use to me, so the question of improved sound quality or some other benefit is relevant.

Also, as the owner of two microRendu, do I have to pay for each one?

I prefer not to get into sound quality comparisons. Yes...each micro SD card will be a separate purchase. 

12 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Sounds like a plan.

Btw I've tried Linn SongCast and the 50ms latency (the lowest setting available) still makes watching videos (like YouTube, Netflix etc) unpleasant with the lag between sound and picture. So there is definitely room for improvement but good to know you will be slowly chipping away at it.

Congrats and thanks :-)

Understood, but remember this isn't an audio / video project.

10 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Will the existing app settings on the microrendu be preserved after the switch to the new SD card, or will they have to be reentered by hand ?

No. The new micro SD card will be configured for RoonReady by default. If you want to use any of the other output modes just go to Settings and select the output mode you want and press Save.  

6 hours ago, k-man said:

As an International customer, I also agree. Purchasing an image would be a better experience for me, but unfortunately I don't think that's an option unless the majority of mR users request this. No point for me to moan more, as I tend to stick with the same software until the applications get broken (eg. Roon core/HQPlayer updates).

We are making the micro SD cards available to our patterns in the UK and AU.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

What I'm saying is that you pay between 0 and 20, and based on that you get access to the image. 

I think for that price most of us will respect the "IP", and not share the image.

He can do a clever twist and offer a download for a limited time or price like $10, and to those that those like the card in mail, they just pay the $20.

But I suspect the $20 is meant to only cover the SD card and possible some freight and/or labor.

Which bring us back to just being offered the image as a download. 

But as to avoid some reverse engineering or cracking the admin PW (protect IP), he may like to make the download personally, which may take some effort to accomplish. I don't know. 

Actually I be rather more attempt to make the image public myself, if he is just that paranoid about protect the IP, and only like to use mail. As said anyone can take the present image and make public if they like. 

I'm saying this cause SGC was very reluctant helping me earlier with a new SSD to my SonicTransporter. And I was never given a reason for why I could not purchase a SSD with the SonicOrbiter installed, but requested to ship my whole unit back to the US from Norway.

If I had the necessary Linux skills, I might find a way to install a clone of SonicOrbiter from a small SSD to a bigger one, but I don't think its that simple. 

Well I hope soon we get an proper answer. 

You are over thinking this...this is not a DIY project. Our philosophy is to make this as simple and efficient as possible. We are looking for a turn key solution...pop out the old card and insert the new one and your are done. 

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You are over thinking this...this is not a DIY project. Our philosophy is to make this as simple and efficient as possible. We are looking for a true key solution...pop out the old card and insert the new one and your are done. 

I think folks are wanting your "goodness" quicker ;) and potentially saving the $20.

Personally, I'm fine with the SD care distribution (though I'd prefer the free download option!), but a bit disappointed the fix for the native DSD "pop" at the beginning of playback was not bundled into the existing 2.3 distribution - that's really the only feature I'm really pining for!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

11 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

No. The new micro SD card will be configured for RoonReady by default. If you want to use any of the other output modes just go to Settings and select the output mode you want and press Save.  

Jesus,

My question was an honest one. There may not be a ton of settings in the microrendu setup, but there are more than just the choice of the output mode as you seem to say. For ex., on the Sonore UPnPBridge Settings page, I see four different settings:

- Player name

- Renderer name

- Max sample rate

- Output format

On the Squeezelite Settings page, I see even more :

- Player name

- Audio device

- Buffer size

- Period count

- etc...

On the Localization Setings page :

- Time zone

- Language

You just wrote :

17 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Our philosophy is to make this as simple and efficient as possible. We are looking for a true key solution...pop out the old card and insert the new one and your are done. 

Again, there may not be that many settings in the microrendu setup, but IMHO some consideration has to be given to the config of users upgrading from 2.3 to 2.5 version if you want to make it "as simple and efficient as possible", and I do not think my concern is silly.

So, would you allow me to raise the question again ?

Regards,

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

We are just going to offering the micro SD card for purchase.  

Are you OK with if someone make a copy and offer an image to those of us that like to save the freight cost ? Or just prefer to use his own card. 

As as long as you don't get any support issues etc. and this thread is not filled with issues around how to do what etc. 

1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

I think folks are wanting your "goodness" quicker ;) and potentially saving the $20.

Personally, I'm fine with the SD care distribution (though I'd prefer the free download option!), but a bit disappointed the fix for the native DSD "pop" at the beginning of playback was not bundled into the existing 2.3 distribution - that's really the only feature I'm really pining for!

That fix pretty much forced the 2.5 upgrade. 

1 hour ago, André Gosselin said:

Jesus,

My question was an honest one. There may not be a ton of settings in the microrendu setup, but there are more than just the choice of the output mode as you seem to say. For ex., on the Sonore UPnPBridge Settings page, I see four different settings:

- Player name

- Renderer name

- Max sample rate

- Output format

On the Squeezelite Settings page, I see even more :

- Player name

- Audio device

- Buffer size

- Period count

- etc...

On the Localization Setings page :

- Time zone

- Language

You just wrote :

Again, there may not be that many settings in the microrendu setup, but IMHO some consideration has to be given to the config of users upgrading from 2.3 to 2.5 version if you want to make it "as simple and efficient as possible", and I do not think my concern is silly.

So, would you allow me to raise the question again ?

Regards,

My comment about making it simple and efficient is about the upgrade itself. I feel your pain...you might have to press a few buttons that will take you all of 20 seconds. 

24 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Are you OK with if someone make a copy and offer an image to those of us that like to save the freight cost ? Or just prefer to use his own card. 

As as long as you don't get any support issues etc. and this thread is not filled with issues around how to do what etc. 

No one is authorized to distribute our operating system except for our partners that we have given the micro SD cards to. If I find your suggestion being carried out I will suspend the upgrade offer. 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Just what the Songcast Application running on your computer sends to the receiver...16/44.1.

I had the impression that SongCast (a Linn protocol) allowed for high-res streaming.

system pics

3 hours ago, jhwalker said:

I am 100% cool with paying for software development. I don't want the delay.

system pics

1 hour ago, André Gosselin said:

I just do not understand your sense of humor. Thanks for mocking one who purchased 2 mrendus from you.

As another 2 microRendu owner, I'm with André totally. Jesus, it's not 20 seconds. First of all, we have to go figure out all the configurations selections we made since we had our microRendus. I for one can't remember, and the microRendu does not offer a simple way to summarize and save those settings. It's not the 20 bucks/microRendu, it's the hassle and your surprising lack of customer orientation that we are pointing out. Frankly, I expected more from Sonore and you given my previous excellent experiences.

7 hours ago, earnmyturns said:

As another 2 microRendu owner, I'm with André totally. Jesus, it's not 20 seconds. First of all, we have to go figure out all the configurations selections we made since we had our microRendus. I for one can't remember, and the microRendu does not offer a simple way to summarize and save those settings. It's not the 20 bucks/microRendu, it's the hassle and your surprising lack of customer orientation that we are pointing out. Frankly, I expected more from Sonore and you given my previous excellent experiences.

I just went through some of the Settings pages on my unit and for the most part you pick DoP or native DSD and press Save. On RoonReady you have a selection for Volume as well. Spotify Connect has no selections to make so you just press save. NAA doesn't have a Settings page so nothing to do there. SqueezeLIte has a bunch of options, but generally I don't recommend that people mess with them so you select DoP or native DSD and press Save. You may have a few more things to do, but this is the basic process.       

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

I had the impression that SongCast (a Linn protocol) allowed for high-res streaming.

I can't get it to stream hi-res as-is. It might be open source and someone could play around with it. However, the sound quality is similar to Airplay/Shairport and not worth the effort in my opinion.  

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I prefer not to get into sound quality comparisons. Yes...each micro SD card will be a separate purchase. 

Let's just noodle on this shall we?

"I prefer not to get into sound quality comparisons".

I could see your point if someone was asking you for a comparison with a competing product, but here we're asking for a comparison between two generations of the same product, both of which come from you.  You sell a product that is all about *enhancing sound quality* FFS! Can't you see how absurd, bordering on contemptuous of your customers, this statement is??