IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

DESCRIPTION

Sonicorbiter is the name of the operating system we developed for use on the Sonore Rendu series, and on the SGC Transporter series. The foundation of the operating system is Fedora Linux which works mostly out of site in the background. On top of this base, we have added our own proprietary software to allow access, configuration, control, and updates.

ACCESS

Since your network could have several compatible devices active at any given time we developed a simple way to find them and access them via your browser. You simply enter www.sonicorbiter.com and the resulting webpage will display all the compatible Music Severs and devices found on your network. Under Music Severs you might find a sonicTransporter and SonicTransporter AP. Under Network Renderer you might find a microRendu, ultraRendu, or opticalRendu. You select the unit you want to manage and the corresponding graphical user interface (GUI) for that device opens up automatically. This is an example of www.sonicorbiter.com.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 7.12.33 PM.png

CONFIGURATION

From the Rendu go to Settings for the output protocols you want to use and configure things like the type of DSD format your DAC supports. From a compatible Music Severs you can configure local playback and database options. For your convenience we have default settings that should work most of the time right out of the box.

CONTROL

From a compatible Music Sever you can control which server is active. From a compatible Network Renderer you can control which output protocol is active. For your convenience, the default music server is Roon Server and the default output protocol is RoonReady. Other combinations are Logitech Media Server / SqueezeLite, MinimServer / DLNA-MPD, etc. T

Updates

The operating system was designed to be easily adaptable to the needs of a particular design. Each compatible devices can be updated by the press of a button from a Software Manager section. From this section, you can also install and uninstall applications as needed. This is an example of the Software Manager.

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 1.48.44 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Configuring Roon Server running headless on your sonicTransporter i5

Prerequisites: Your DAC is on and connected to your microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE. The microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE is set to RoonReady output mode.

1. Start Roon Server on your computer and go to Settings / General and press Disconnect.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 8.53.33 PM.png

2. Under Choose your Core select the sonicTransporter by clicking on Connect.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 8.54.48 PM.png

3. Under Where do you keep you music? select Next.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 8.58.08 PM.png

4. Under Add streaming music select the best options.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 8.59.44 PM.png

5. At the bottom of Roon select Manage Audio Devices.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 9.15.06 PM.png

6. Under Networked locate the Sonore microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE and select Enable (this option will not show up if your DAC is not connected to the microRendu and both units are powered on).

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 9.15.21 PM.png

7. Go to Settings / Storage and Storage and select the best options.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 9.23.25 PM.png

8. Enjoy Roon / RoonReady

Configuring Logitech Media Server running on your sonicTransporter i5

Prerequisites: Your DAC is on and connected to your microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE. The microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE is set to SqueezeLite output mode. You have a drive mounted on the unit. Click here for a tutorial on how to mount a drive on the unit: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-drive-mounter-101-a-27417/

1. Go to MySonicorbiter via your browser and under Network Servers / sonicTransporter click on Manage.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.30.50 PM.png

2. Go to Apps and click on Squeeze Box Server.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.40.55 PM.png

3. At the top right corner of Squeeze Box Server. select Choose Player drop down and select your microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.42.31 PM.png

4. Enjoy Logitech Media Server / SqueezeLite

Configuring MinimServer on your sonicTransporter i5

Prerequisites: Your DAC is on and connected to your microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE. The microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE is set to MPD/DLNA output mode. Click here for a tutorial on how to set up MDP/DLNA on the microRendu / Sonicorbiter SE. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-tidal-qobuz-setup-openhome-28520/. You have a drive mounted on the unit. Click here for a tutorial on how to mount a drive on the unit: MySonicorbiter

1. Go to http://www.mysonicorbiter.com via your browser and under Network Servers / sonicTransporter click on Manage.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.30.50 PM.png

2. Go to Apps / Software Manager / Available Apps and select MinimServer.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.53.18 PM.png

3. Go to Apps / MinimServer Admin and select Confirm. Do not put anything in the content directory because the unit is already configured to look at the music folder on the unit. You can select Rescan when new content is added to your library.

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 2.04.26 PM.png

4. Enjoy MinimServer / MPD-DLNA

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 1.40.55 PM.png

• vortecjr locked this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

Special Note:

The Sonicorbiter 2.3 operating system utilized on the microRendu is approaching the end of it's development cycle. This means that we will continue to maintain the operating system for general functionality only. However, we will no longer provide application updates and new features going forward. There is no need to update to the next version right away, but we recommend that you consider it at some point in the near future.  

In order to better serve you we have been developing the Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system which has the following new features and enhancements:
1. The base operating system and Kernel has been updated. 
2. All the pre-configured applications have been updated to the latest release versions and or stable versions.
3. DSD playback now supports Native DSD with POP free PCM/DSD transitions.
4. New devices have been added that support Native DSD playback.
5. Spotify Connect has been added as a new output mode. This new output mode can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. The application can be installed and uninstalled from Software Manager. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify. The application is in Beta form.
6. A SongCast receiver has been added to the existing MPD/DLNA output mode. This new output mode accept streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application can be installed and uninstalled from the Software manager. The application is in Beta form.
7. This version also contains other bug fixes and enhancements.

Sonicorbiter 2.5 will be available soon pre-loaded on a microSD card. The microSD cards will be made available to existing customers for purchase for 20 USD. Emails with purchasing instructions will go out to customer in the coming weeks with a link to purchase the upgrade. The microRendu will be shipping with Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If you purchased a microRendu in the last 30 days we will provide a microSD card in the mail with Sonicorbiter 2.5 for free.
On 4/19/2017 at 9:27 PM, vortecjr said:

Special Note:

The Sonicorbiter 2.3 operating system utilized on the microRendu is approaching the end of it's development cycle. This means that we will continue to maintain the operating system for general functionality only. However, we will no longer provide application updates and new features going forward. There is not need to update to the next version right away, but we recommend that you consider it at some point in the near future.  

In order to better serve you we have been developing the Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system which has the following new features and enhancements:
1. The base operating system and Kernel has been updated. 
2. All the pre-configured applications have been updated to the latest release versions and or stable versions.
3. DSD playback now supports Native DSD with POP free PCM/DSD transitions.
4. New devices have been added that support Native DSD playback.
5. Spotify Connect has been added as a new output mode. This new output mode can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. The application can be installed and uninstalled from Software Manager. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify.
6. A SongCast receiver has been added to the existing MPD/DLNA output mode. This new output mode accept streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application can be installed and uninstalled from the Software manager. The application is in Beta form.
7. This version also contains other bug fixes and enhancements.

Sonicorbiter 2.5 will be available soon pre-loaded on a microSD card. The microSD cards will be made available to existing customers for purchase for 20 USD. Emails with purchasing instructions will go out to customer in the coming weeks with a link to purchase the upgrade. The microRendu will be shipping with Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If you purchased a microRendu in the last 30 days we will provide a microSD card in the mail with Sonicorbiter 2.5 for free.

Nice JR! So it was SongCast that you were working on (for PC audio streaming - Beta mode). This means a latency of 50ms ? Or was it able to be reduced by having an app on the microRendu?

On 4/19/2017 at 9:27 PM, vortecjr said:

Sonicorbiter 2.5 will be available soon pre-loaded on a microSD card. The microSD cards will be made available to existing customers for purchase for 20 USD. Emails with purchasing instructions will go out to customer in the coming weeks with a link to purchase the upgrade. The microRendu will be shipping with Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If you purchased a microRendu in the last 30 days we will provide a microSD card in the mail with Sonicorbiter 2.5 for free.

That's great, Jesus.  I just never figured I'd have to update in this manner.  Isn't it possible to somehow download Sonicorbiter 2.5 and overwrite the existing microSD card (after making a backup)?  Did you decide that there was too much potential for us to screw this up? 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Nice JR! So it was SongCast that you were working on (for PC audio streaming - Beta mode). This means a latency of 50ms ? Or was it able to be reduced by having an app on the microRendu?

There is latency, but i'm not sure of the exact time. You can adjust the latency from your computer, but it can cause issues like static. Now that it's working and relatively stable we can continue work on it.

4 hours ago, rickca said:

That's great, Jesus.  I just never figured I'd have to update in this manner.  Isn't it possible to somehow download Sonicorbiter 2.5 and overwrite the existing microSD card (after making a backup)?  Did you decide that there was too much potential for us to screw this up? 

Generally, the updates are from the web interface. However, we want this update to be plug n play. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Will we get an email in any case, or do we have to email you first ?

Can't we just order from your site ?

Will there be additional fright cost outside US ?

What about the SonicTransporter ?

Can we expect any sonic upgrade ?

We will be sending emails to our customers with instructions for purchase. sonicTransporter has its own development cycle and notification process. The notice above is for the microRendu only. We try not to get into expectations:)

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Generally, the updates are from the web interface. However, we want this update to be plug n play. 

Could you make an image available please? I have made backups of the card by creating an image on my computer that I can write back to the card(s). I have a second card that I have imaged this way and works perfectly.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Jesus,

Items 3 through 6 on your list of new features and enhancements are of no use to me, so the question of improved sound quality or some other benefit is relevant.

Also, as the owner of two microRendu, do I have to pay for each one?

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There is latency, but i'm not sure of the exact time. You can adjust the latency from your computer, but it can cause issues like static. Now that it's working and relatively stable we can continue work on it.

Sounds like a plan.

Btw I've tried Linn SongCast and the 50ms latency (the lowest setting available) still makes watching videos (like YouTube, Netflix etc) unpleasant with the lag between sound and picture. So there is definitely room for improvement but good to know you will be slowly chipping away at it.

Congrats and thanks :-)

What kind and capacity of microSD card is used in the micro rendu?  I'd like use Miguelito's instructions to create a backup on a spare.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Then a "secret" link to the image should be the way to go. 

Maybe another motivation is protection of Sonicorbiter IP.  I don't know how you can do a 'secret' link.  Jesus always wants to keep the user experience good and avoid foreseeable support issues.  

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Maybe another motivation is protection of Sonicorbiter IP.  I don't know how you can do a 'secret' link.  Jesus always wants to keep the user experience good and avoid foreseeable support issues.  

Jesus wants a clean user experience. It's also possible that if key components of the OS are updated in this release, it would just not be feasible to do it over the web interface. It's certainly a lot cleaner to pop-in a new card.

BTW... I would advice Jesus to give careful instructions on how to align the card in the slot as you're putting it back in. In my microRendu the SD slot is not perfectly aligned with the cutout, and I once almost got the card into the case rather than the SD slot. I would've had to open the case to retrieve it.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Yes, had it not been for those $20, unless he is not changing for SW ?

Then a "secret" link to the image should be the way to go. 

I'm cool with paying for software improvements - just don't love the snail mail delay.

system pics

5 hours ago, Al Jones said:

Jesus,

Items 3 through 6 on your list of new features and enhancements are of no use to me, so the question of improved sound quality or some other benefit is relevant.

I, too, would like to hear an answer to this question please.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Maybe another motivation is protection of Sonicorbiter IP

Nah... I can see exactly what is in the card I have and make an image and make another card off of that - I have tried this and it works just fine. There's no difference in terms of what you can see whether you image the card or you get it in the mail.

system pics

17 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I'm cool with paying for software improvements - just don't love the snail mail delay.

As an International customer, I also agree. Purchasing an image would be a better experience for me, but unfortunately I don't think that's an option unless the majority of mR users request this. No point for me to moan more, as I tend to stick with the same software until the applications get broken (eg. Roon core/HQPlayer updates).