IGNORED

DAC stopped working *without* Uptone

I've been using an Uptone Regen for a while. I'm on a MacbookPro, El Capitan. The DAC is an iFi Nano. I wanted to try hooking up my DAC without it for a bit, but the Mac doesn't recognize it's connected! It works fine with the Regen there, but if I remove the Regen from the signal path, the Mac shows nothing connected.

Any ideas?

I've been using an Uptone Regen for a while. I'm on a MacbookPro, El Capitan. The DAC is an iFi Nano. I wanted to try hooking up my DAC without it for a bit, but the Mac doesn't recognize it's connected! It works fine with the Regen there, but if I remove the Regen from the signal path, the Mac shows nothing connected.

Any ideas?

Have you tried rebooting the computer with just the DAC connected? Macs are usually pretty good about noticing when hubs go in and out, but when all else fails it is always a good idea to let it see the path to the DAC at boot time.

John S.

I did reboot the computer but I think the iFi was powered down, so it probably wouldn't see it there. By "just the DAC connected" do you mean without the Regen? Or do you mean disconnecting all other USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc)?

Anyway I'll try rebooting with the iFi powered on.

Try going to System Preferences>Sound>Output and looking for you DAC in the list. Select it and you should be good to go.

Also, what player software are you generally using? You will likely need to go into its preferences window and select you DAC there.

I already looked at the Sound Preferences panel and the DAC is not listed. That is what I am saying. It is not recognized by the computer as existing at all. So of course it is not listed in the player software.

I have another iFi Nano, same model, and that is *is* recognized. So I think somehow the firmware got screwed up in the one that is *not* recognized. Strange that it still works with the Regen! Any ideas what kinds of DAC malfunctions would mean it is still recognized when used with the Regen, but not recognized when connected directly?

Have you tried using a different USB port ?

Even USB memory sticks of the same brand aren't always recognised from different ports. At least with Windows, the System seems to remember how and where they were previously connected, and if you plug something different into that port it may not like it.

It's weird to say the least !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020