IGNORED

Is there any way to stream with any reliabilty

mordante

Rant incomming

I have a NAS Synology DS214 on which I have my ripped (flac) CD collection.

But so far streaming has caused me nothing but headaches. It just never works. First I tried a laptop with foobar. The user interface of foobar is bad. It took me weeks to find out how it works. But even then I only scratched the service. Also the endless setting you need to have correct in order to make things work is just mind numbing, getting the correct plugins and drivers was a nightmare.

Then I thought I'll buy a Auralic Aries LE. Maybe that will work. Boy was I being naive. To use a Aries LE you need an iPad. Well it is the only piece of apple tech I own and will most likely stay the only one. The UI is just bad, maybe worse then foobar I've had it since Januari and I still have not found the best way to turn it off. Pushing two buttons to turn it of is just stupid beyond words. It takes me for or five tries on average. Most of the time I get that retarded cunt Siri, Who ever thought that Sirii was a good idea, well the parents should have used anti-conception or abortion. There is also no file browser on the iPad, God only knows why.

More often then not the NAS and the Aries LE cannot find each other. According to the Aries help function the IP adress of the NAS is incorrect. But it does not give an option the manually enter an IP address. But that would not help much since IP addresses are not fixed.

I think about binning the whole shit and just keep playing LP's and maybe get a CD player again. Since Tidal and Spotify also suck hard. Both have bad search functions.

It took vinyl about 40 years to become reliable I hoped digital would be better. But alas.

[br]

Yes, but smoking out issues in a home network / streaming system can certainly be frustrating and time consuming. Streaming makes any intermittent issues readily apparent. Over time I've replaced all of my older Ethernet cable, switches and home router; added a MOCA backbone connected to gig switches behind our TVs and a WAP for WiFi coverage on the far side of the house that replaced a range extender that always seemed to flake out at the worst times. It all works reliably now for Roon / Tidal streaming between my Mac Mini and microRendu, video streaming and general Internet access.

Wow @mordante - You setup a half-ass network and expect everything to work perfect? Only (half) kidding.

What two buttons are you talking about?

Can you give us a bit more info about your system? How are you using the Synology? DLNA or a mapped drive? Do you know?

It's ok if you don't know, I just want to level set, so we can get you up and running.

Once it's running you shouldn't have issues or need to do any setup again.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

According to the Aries help function the IP adress of the NAS is incorrect. But it does not give an option the manually enter an IP address. But that would not help much since IP addresses are not fixed.

You can set them to be fixed and, for a NAS, that is highly recommended.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

My network:

Ziggo router/modem ((ziggo is my internet provider 150 / 15 Mbit/s,) on the 2nd floor

Cat 7 cable to 8 port hub connected to that hub is

My NAS

MY PS3

An old PC I use for stream series

An Asus RT-87U providing WiFi (in AP mode)

And 2 Cats6a lines one goes to a:

4 poort hub with 2 PCs and a laptop

a Asus RT-68U in AP modes that provides WiFi on the ground floor from there a Cat7 cable to my Aries LE

When I put the Ziggo modem/router in bridge modus and the 87u in router modes everything went bad. Half the PC had no internet and most WiFi no internet as well.

[br]

My network:

Ziggo router/modem ((ziggo is my internet provider 150 / 15 Mbit/s,) on the 2nd floor

Cat 7 cable to 8 port hub connected to that hub is

My NAS

MY PS3

An old PC I use for stream series

An Asus RT-87U providing WiFi (in AP mode)

And 2 Cats6a lines one goes to a:

4 poort hub with 2 PCs and a laptop

a Asus RT-68U in AP modes that provides WiFi on the ground floor from there a Cat7 cable to my Aries LE

When I put the Ziggo modem/router in bridge modus and the 87u in router modes everything went bad. Half the PC had no internet and most WiFi no internet as well.

Sounds like your first order of business is a call to tech support for Ziggo on how to correctly configure their modem as an IP gateway... the Asus should be providing DHCP address allocation for the IP subnet allowed to use the gateway. This is basic network configuration help you need from them for any kind of internet use of the Asus as a router. Particular to the Aries you will need multicast enabled in the Asus router.

Note that there is general quirkiness now with equipment and IPv6 so its often a good troubleshooting step to disable IPv6 if all else fails and see if the problems go away

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Sounds like your first order of business is a call to tech support for Ziggo on how to correctly configure their modem as an IP gateway... the Asus should be providing DHCP address allocation for the IP subnet allowed to use the gateway. This is basic network configuration help you need from them for any kind of internet use of the Asus as a router. Particular to the Aries you will need multicast enabled in the Asus router.

Note that there is general quirkiness now with equipment and IPv6 so its often a good troubleshooting step to disable IPv6 if all else fails and see if the problems go away

The problem was when I used the Ziggo modem in bridge modes and had the Asus as router. It would create multiple networks. My PC would be on network 5 my g/fs PC would be on 4. The Aries would either see the NAS or would be able to communicate with the iPad but not both at the same time and more stuff like that. Also on the same router the normal WiFi would work but the 5G could not be used. You could connect to the 5G but not use internet.

Now that the Asus router is in access point mode most problems are solved. However the Aries LE cannot find the NAS. With the DS file app on the tablet I can access the NAS. Also all the PCs can again find the NAS. But show how the Aries is looking for the NAS at a certain IP address I think and I cannot reset that.

I've had a similar problem before. The way I solved it then was to take the Aries to a friend of mine. Put it in his network. It would notice it was in a different network and there I was able to find the NAS. Then brought it back home. It would see it was a different network and it could find the NAS again.

I would like an option on the Aries to reset it completely, back to factory settings.

The two buttons in the iPad is the one on the top corner to put it in standby and the one on the bottom in the center, which I use to close programs by tapping it twice. Some how a combo between the two shuts it down.

[br]

The problem was when I used the Ziggo modem in bridge modes and had the Asus as router. It would create multiple networks. My PC would be on network 5 my g/fs PC would be on 4. The Aries would either see the NAS or would be able to communicate with the iPad but not both at the same time and more stuff like that. Also on the same router the normal WiFi would work but the 5G could not be used. You could connect to the 5G but not use internet.

Now that the Asus router is in access point mode most problems are solved. However the Aries LE cannot find the NAS. With the DS file app on the tablet I can access the NAS. Also all the PCs can again find the NAS. But show how the Aries is looking for the NAS at a certain IP address I think and I cannot reset that.

I've had a similar problem before. The way I solved it then was to take the Aries to a friend of mine. Put it in his network. It would notice it was in a different network and there I was able to find the NAS. Then brought it back home. It would see it was a different network and it could find the NAS again.

I would like an option on the Aries to reset it completely, back to factory settings.

The two buttons in the iPad is the one on the top corner to put it in standby and the one on the bottom in the center, which I use to close programs by tapping it twice. Some how a combo between the two shuts it down.

I repeat

"Particular to the Aries you will need multicast enabled in the Asus router."

this is what caused me similar behavior to what you are experiencing... especially when Verizon updated my Fios router and reset the hidden setting back to "no"

Once you have verified that's enabled, try again.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I repeat

"Particular to the Aries you will need multicast enabled in the Asus router."

this is what caused me similar behavior to what you are experiencing... especially when Verizon updated my Fios router and reset the hidden setting back to "no"

Once you have verified that's enabled, try again.

The Asus is not acting as router. Only as access point. All the routing is done by the Ziggo modem/router thing. Basically I only use the asus as a WiFi generator.

[br]

I just makes me fucking depressing that even brands like Auralic are unable to make a product that works without needing a PhD in computer network science.

Based on my experience, I'd say about 1% of people have the problems you are experiencing. You expect a miracle with a misconfigured network, and it ain't going to happen. Can you call a local company to come out and get your network in working order?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You need to be cablemodem/dsl bridged to Asus Router then broke out to the rest of the network.

There should be your local equipment on the LAN side of the Asus and only the WAN on the Asus going to the Zingo device.

If you want you can go to http://www.fixme.it (if you are using a Windows PC). You can install the helper application and PM me the client id. I can at the very least share your computer and take a look around and see if I can give you a heads up.

You most likely need a set of eyeballs on this vs a bunch of forum posts back and forth.

You need to be cablemodem/dsl bridged to Asus Router then broke out to the rest of the network.

There should be your local equipment on the LAN side of the Asus and only the WAN on the Asus going to the Zingo device.

If you want you can go to http://www.fixme.it (if you are using a Windows PC). You can install the helper application and PM me the client id. I can at the very least share your computer and take a look around and see if I can give you a heads up.

You most likely need a set of eyeballs on this vs a bunch of forum posts back and forth.

I tried that. I called my provider, they set the Ziggo router/modem in bridge modes. I set the Asus in router modes. Then all hell broke lose.

Windows has the bad habit to create home groups (or something like that). Each computer was it's own group. My PC was on network 5, my girfriends PC was on network 4, God knows what computers were 1 till 3. The Asus is has dual band WiFi thing, the normal and the 5G. The normal WiFi worked fine and you could log into the 5G but then you got a notification that is was not connected to the internet.

[br]

I just makes me fucking depressing that even brands like Auralic are unable to make a product that works without needing a PhD in computer network science.

You have to recognize the problem is not in auralic to move on. Your auralic and NAS need to be in the same network...

So you better keep it simple..

...use you router to manage ip in both NAS and auralic and make them fixed and on the same subnetwork...

...probably is better to not use windows workgroups...get advice if you should delete them..

I tried that. I called my provider, they set the Ziggo router/modem in bridge modes. I set the Asus in router modes. Then all hell broke lose.

Windows has the bad habit to create home groups (or something like that). Each computer was it's own group. My PC was on network 5, my girfriends PC was on network 4, God knows what computers were 1 till 3. The Asus is has dual band WiFi thing, the normal and the 5G. The normal WiFi worked fine and you could log into the 5G but then you got a notification that is was not connected to the internet.

Again, you like, and with your permission, I can remote into a Windows PC on your network and take a look. Just PM me.

After looking around there may be an issue of the Auralic being on a different network than the rest of the equipment.

There was also the potential issue of running two DNLA servers on the Synology. So one is currently disabled.

I have to say for the $$ for the Auralic I'm disappointed that there is no web or telnet server on it. The other frustrating part is trying to find an actual walk through of how to implement the networking on it. I.E. only an Apple phone or tablet will do. Tsk, tsk...

A third potential is there is another Asus device that has DHCP with a different logical network setup and enabled on it in addition to the Ziggo.

But he ran out of time since the GF was giving him the stink eye. Probably not happy about a $1000 device that makes it frakking hard to do any remedial troubleshooting with.

So I was correct but didn't get to it due to time restraints. Mordante PM'd me:

"Hi,

The problem is solved :) Yesterday evening a friend of mine came by and fixed the final step. It had something to do with the 2nd Asus router eventhough it was in access point mode. It still created it's own network. "

The first tip off about another network was that the OUI was listed in the ARP table but none of the IP addresses were able to be pinged. Purging the ARP table didn't bring it back either when I tried to ping after purging and looked at ARP again there were no entries.

Aurilac should make addressing information available on the front display. Printers with displays have been doing this for 20+ years. The issue would have been solved in 10 minutes if that were the case. I despise poorly implemented equipment and this by no doubt qualifies.

They should have a youtube channel for setup and troubleshooting.

So I was correct but didn't get to it due to time restraints. Mordante PM'd me:

"Hi,

The problem is solved :) Yesterday evening a friend of mine came by and fixed the final step. It had something to do with the 2nd Asus router eventhough it was in access point mode. It still created it's own network. "

The first tip off about another network was that the OUI was listed in the ARP table but none of the IP addresses were able to be pinged. Purging the ARP table didn't bring it back either when I tried to ping after purging and looked at ARP again there were no entries.

Aurilac should make addressing information available on the front display. Printers with displays have been doing this for 20+ years. The issue would have been solved in 10 minutes if that were the case. I despise poorly implemented equipment and this by no doubt qualifies.

They should have a youtube channel for setup and troubleshooting.

Auralic is very accommodating to user suggestions. Drop them a note from their web site.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond