IGNORED

Advise on Balanced XLR Cables

Monoprice

25ft Premier Series XLR Male to XLR Female 16AWG Cable (Gold Plated) [Microphone & Interconnect] - Monoprice.com

$8.93 each for 25 ft. The ends are good quality. The cable is a little thick though well shielded.

Blue Jeans cables use Neutrik connectors and more supple thinner cable. Cost is more. Like $49 each.

Balanced Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

LiveWire which also has Neutrik connectors and is quite supple. Cost is like $40 or so each.

https://www.amazon.com/Livewire-Advantage-Standard-Microphone-Cable/dp/B001G7JORQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1472716856&sr=8-4&keywords=livewire+xlr+25+feet

For something that will be hooked up and not moved much the Monoprice are fine.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Have you confirmed that both pieces are really balanced?

I just reconfirmed (one can't be too careful). Balanced male on the dac & balanced female on the JBL LSR308's. Leaning toward Blue Jean's. Getting them in the exact length needed is a plus. Both cables will be the same length regardless of actual distances.

Thanks.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I just reconfirmed (one can't be too careful). Balanced male on the dac & balanced female on the JBL LSR308's. Leaning toward Blue Jean's. Getting them in the exact length needed is a plus. Both cables will be the same length regardless of actual distances.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, I'm asking if the components themselves are truly balanced, and not just have XLR connectors. XLR connectors can come on single ended equipment. You're probably OK with the JBL's, but I'm not sure about the Emotiva.

Just to be clear, I'm asking if the components themselves are truly balanced, and not just have XLR connectors. XLR connectors can come on single ended equipment. You're probably OK with the JBL's, but I'm not sure about the Emotiva.

While I haven't taken one apart Emotiva says it is fully balanced. Just look on their website for a description of DAC chips and how they are connected.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Greetings.

I'll soon be needing XLR cables to connect an Emotiva DC-1 dac/preamp to a pair of powered monitors. 20' ought'a do. Any advise?

Without recommending specific cables, The Cable Company sells cables in a range of prices and allows you to audition them in your system as do some manufacturers.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Stealth DC-1 Reference-Quality Differential DAC | Emotiva

On that page:

Precision balanced 24/192 fully differential DAC with professional balanced outputs

True balanced components with interconnection via balanced XLR's are the ideal. But, many components with XLR connectors are not truly balanced. Balanced costs much more than unbalanced internals. They still work fine, and they still offer freedom from ground loops and common mode noise pickup, especially in long cable runs. Plus, XLR connectors are a pleasure to use vs. the crappy old RCA standard.

Some argue the the internal transformers or op amps necessary to convert balanced lines to unbalanced components are a source of sonic degradation vs. unbalanced interconnects. I have not found this to be so on my equipment. My interconnects are all balanced XLRs, though I do not believe that any of my components are truly internally balanced in operation.

My favorites are these:

https://bettercables.com/collections/balanced-xlr-cables/products/silver-serpent-balanced-xlr-audio-interconnect-cable?variant=389890816

I auditioned them because I liked their ultra low capacitance specs for the long 10 meter runs I had. I liked them so much, that I replaced all the interconnects in my system with them, including some that cost many times as much.

True balanced components with interconnection via balanced XLR's are the ideal. But, many components with XLR connectors are not truly balanced.

Now you are putting a special audiophile meaning on 'true balanced'.

Balanced costs much more than unbalanced internals.

A few extra resistors and capacitors don't cost much.

But if you want audiophile 'true balanced' then THAT Corp makes the most excellent sender and receiver chips that retail for less than $4 each.

That's one potential issue of a couple of them: the more insidious one is the Pin 1 problem in balanced XLR systems.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Er..... Was there another paragraph that I missed? One that described the insidious Pin1 problem? Or a link? Thanks in advance.

The whole thread where this post is located if you don't intend to Google it.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Er..... Was there another paragraph that I missed? One that described the insidious Pin1 problem? Or a link? Thanks in advance.

Pin 1 Revisited

This explains it. Many are familiar with it which is why he didn't reference it. Sort of common knowledge among many audiophile or recording pros though obviously not all people.

Pin 1 Revisited

This explains it. Many are familiar with it which is why he didn't reference it. Sort of common knowledge among many audiophile or recording pros though obviously not all people.

I'm not that snobbish on this one: the only reasons I didn't reference it was that was busy multi-tasking and it's very easy to get search results with 'XLR Pin 1 problem'.

It's not widely known either. Some people have probably still been living for years with their 'balanced' connection and their pin 1 issue...

Now you are putting a special audiophile meaning on 'true balanced'.

A few extra resistors and capacitors don't cost much.

But if you want audiophile 'true balanced' then THAT Corp makes the most excellent sender and receiver chips that retail for less than $4 each.

By "true balanced", I mean components that essentially have duplicate circuits, one for the +, one for the - leg in the balanced input. See this discussion of differential amplifiers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_amplifier

This is an engineering concept, not a fluffy audiophile one. And, obviously, the cost of duplicate circuits in a preamp or amp, for example, is high. And, there are some true differential balanced components in existence in high end audio.

It is true that balanced inputs can be converted to single-ended inexpensively, typically via transformers or op amps. But, some maintain that introduces some sonic degradation vs. true, differential balanced, where such conversion circuitry is not required.