IGNORED

Thunderbolt to Firewire 6-pin cable

No.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

To do this you need a TB to FW800 adapter. Then a FW400 (6 pin) to FW800 cable.

I use this on a Mini that has FW800 and TB ports. The TB port with adapter sounds better than the same cable plugged into the FW800 port.

I use some cheap FW cables from B&H Photo. And open up cable to clip the power wire close to the 8 pin plug. That sounds better also.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Most can. Some USB require power for a "handshake" or initialization. Then operate without power in the cable.