IGNORED

Still relevant - SOtM SMS-100?

I'm looking at replacing my Mac Mini running JRiver & Raspberry Pi2 running Volumio2 with a dedicated music streamer. I've been looking at the SOtM SMS-100 , Aries Mini and the MicroRendu. The SMS-100 looks like it fits the bill, but the others have my interest as they are newer and possibly support more features, etc. The competitors look nice, but they are quite a bit more money compared to what I can buy a SMS-100 for currently.

99.99% of my music <24/192kHz so DSD isn't a high priority for me. I currently subscribe to Spotify, but I may be interested in the future to try other services.

From what I've read here and elsewhere some are in the Mac Mini/CAPS camp and the other half are in the dedicated music server/streamer camp.

Do I gain anything over my current players, ie. raspberry pi2 or Mac Mini running JRiver by going with one of the newer streamers?

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

The SMS-100 is discontinued and won't be supported anymore. You are better off with its replacement, the SMS-200, or the microRendu. In my opinion, both will give you better performance than a Mac or Caps. I have a CAPS, mRendu, and SMS-100, BTW.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm looking at replacing my Mac Mini running JRiver & Raspberry Pi2 running Volumio2 with a dedicated music streamer.
Do I gain anything over my current players, ie. raspberry pi2 or Mac Mini running JRiver by going with one of the newer streamers?
Why do you feel the way you are currently using the RPi with Volumio (or with any of the other music/streaming distros that are available) isn't a dedicated streamer in its own right?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Why do you feel the way you are currently using the RPi with Volumio (or with any of the other music/streaming distros that are available) isn't a dedicated streamer in its own right?

Cebolla, that's a good observation my friend. It isn't lost on me either, I considered it when I wrote the post. Ultimately for the Raspberry Pi2 running Volumio2 I really would like to know if there's any SQ gains to be had using any of the aforementioned devices. I am in somewhat disbelief with how good the RPi2V2 system sounds. In my system, it sounds better than my Mac Mini. The system is portable HD --> Raspberry Pi2 (USB Out) --> Parasound HINT; total cost of the RP2V2 was approximately $40. It is kind of a revelation in how good something can sound unmodified. As a cheap and cheerful tweak I add an iFi Power.

I'm interesting in other devices because they offer more functionality such Tidal, Roon, Spotify, Room Correction (Aries, possibly in the future).

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

I'm interesting in other devices because they offer more functionality such Tidal, Spotify

Get a Chromecast Audio. I use my Pi like Cebolla mentioned, a dedicated streamer. The CCA supplements it and acts as renderer and on its own supports all the services (plus a ton more) mentioned above.

RasPi (any of the models) is not really good for network streaming to USB DACs. The USB implementation is flaky, and the ethernet controller shares the same USB bus with the USB connectors. So you easily end up with audible problems (especially with hires output)...

Thrown in MinimServer and it will hold its own via wireless network streaming. Throw in an addon like HiFiBerry (under $50) and its an excellent streamer with digital output. It does lack the h/w for DSD... but 99% of us folks don't even listen to it.

PS: USB sucks on everything... even my $2500 gaming build. I'm not even going to argue on the shared USB bus... though I do wonder why so many folks think the 65 mbps the Pi gives is not enough for any form of streaming... it is, even for 4K video. When folks are open to testing so many things around here... why not put the Pi through its paces in a test environment and share the results with everyone. I for one would really like to see how the shared USB bus limits audio streaming on the Pi.

I've tested the Pi against a bunch of gadgets - my $800 NAS, $2500 PC build, Mac Mini, Aries, etc. and it holds its own against everything. Actually it wins when you consider what it costs. Use MinimServer (IOW stop using the much maligned shared USB bus), cast to a Chromecast or wireless DAC and with galvanic isolation it actually sounds better. Actually MinimServer sounds the same on all devices from my NAS to the PC... just don't see the need to spend $2000 on a PC build to run MinimServer when a $35 device does it just the same.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

RasPi (any of the models) is not really good for network streaming to USB DACs. The USB implementation is flaky, and the ethernet controller shares the same USB bus with the USB connectors. So you easily end up with audible problems (especially with hires output)...

Thank you, now I understand what's happening on the back-end so to speak with the USB and Ethernet controller.

Thomas Turner

How does that impact sound quality? Is it possible to empirically show a degradation in sound quality?

Thomas Turner

Get a Chromecast Audio. I use my Pi like Cebolla mentioned, a dedicated streamer. The CCA supplements it and acts as renderer and on its own supports all the services (plus a ton more) mentioned above.

I have a CCA. I'd need to read up on how to implement it if i was going to stick with the Raspi implementation.

Thrown in MinimServer and it will hold its own via wireless network streaming. Throw in an addon like HiFiBerry (under $50) and its an excellent streamer with digital output. It does lack the h/w for DSD... but 99% of us folks don't even listen to it.[QOUTE]

I would explore the HiFiBerry option if I was sticking to the Raspi setup here too.

I've tested the Pi against a bunch of gadgets - my $800 NAS, $2500 PC build, Mac Mini, Aries, etc. and it holds its own against everything. Actually it wins when you consider what it costs. Use MinimServer (IOW stop using the much maligned shared USB bus), cast to a Chromecast or wireless DAC and with galvanic isolation it actually sounds better. Actually MinimServer sounds the same on all devices from my NAS to the PC... just don't see the need to spend $2000 on a PC build to run MinimServer when a $35 device does it just the same.

In this implementation, so you pipe the audio out of the Raspi runnung MinimServer wirelessly to the CCA? Then the CCA pipes sound to your DAC?? Please excuse me if I sound like a neophyte when it comes to the intricacies of computer music setup and implementation.

Thomas Turner

I have a CCA. I'd need to read up on how to implement it if i was going to stick with the Raspi implementation.

I would explore the HiFiBerry option if I was sticking to the Raspi setup here too.

In this implementation, so you pipe the audio out of the Raspi runnung MinimServer wirelessly to the CCA? Then the CCA pipes sound to your DAC?? Please excuse me if I sound like a neophyte when it comes to the intricacies of computer music setup and implementation.

Raspberry Pi (running MinimServer) > wireless streaming to Chromecast Audio > mini-Toslink to Toslink connection to DAC.

Checks all the boxes, wireless streaming means no messing with the shared USB bus or trying to fix USB, the Toslink route also ensures galvanic isolation. Limited to 24/96, but considering 99% of the world's music is 16/44.1 or lower resolution its serves well. Add in streaming apps/services to CCA like Tidal, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Slacker Radio, plus 100s more and you can also add custom radio streams in MinimServer. Pretty much unbeatable for what the entire setup costs (less than $100-$200) for a comprehensive source/transport/streamer solution.

I do use a Synology NAS, but cannot hear anything different on the Pi which I also use. The setup streams to 6-7 locations all over the house including the patio and the garden.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...
Raspberry Pi (running MinimServer) > wireless streaming to Chromecast Audio > mini-Toslink to Toslink connection to DAC.

Checks all the boxes, wireless streaming means no messing with the shared USB bus or trying to fix USB, the Toslink route also ensures galvanic isolation. Limited to 24/96, but considering 99% of the world's music is 16/44.1 or lower resolution its serves well. Add in streaming apps/services to CCA like Tidal, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Slacker Radio, plus 100s more and you can also add custom radio streams in MinimServer. Pretty much unbeatable for what the entire setup costs (less than $100-$200) for a comprehensive source/transport/streamer solution.

I do use a Synology NAS, but cannot hear anything different on the Pi which I also use. The setup streams to 6-7 locations all over the house including the patio and the garden.

Thanks master.

At this point I'm going to look at the new SOTM SMS-200 or Auralic Aries Mini which as some have mentioned, might be a better choice in replacing my Mac Mini and RP. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Thomas Turner

I use Moode on Pi3 and never have any audio problems with anything including 24/192 and dsd 128. By the way, all my music now is resampled in Pi3 by Moode to 32/192, and of course without any problem.