IGNORED

DVD Audio Extractor: Pressure Developer to Add DTS-HD Decoder Support

JediJoker

It's a royal pain to rip and decode/uncompress/convert DTS-HD on a Mac, especially with BD+ discs. Right now, my solution is:

1. MakeMKV to backup the disc.

2. MakeMKV to make an MKV of the desired program from the backup, converting DTS-HD to FLAC.

3. MKVtools to extract the FLAC stream from the MKV file.

4. DVD Audio Extractor to extract a FLAC file plus cue from the desired program using the backup.

5. Replace DVDAE FLAC file with MKVtools FLAC file, renaming if necessary.

For what it's worth, the stable version of Cog—0.07 (r635), the only computer software I use for playing FLAC (shoot me)—does not like to play the substitute FLAC file using the cue sheet. It will play linearly from the top of the first track to the end of the list just fine, but will crash if attempting to skip within the track or to select another track in the list. So, this adds another layer of complexity:

6. XLD to convert the FLAC/cue into some other format.

XLD reads the FLAC/cue just fine and works as expected. Even "converting" to a single file plus cue with no other changes produces a cue sheet that Cog can read more correctly (though not perfectly).

This whole process is four steps longer and two pieces of software deeper than it needs to be, or really should be. To all outward appearances, MakeMKV is now using libdcadec to decode DTS-HD streams. Even before that, it would use dtsdecoder.dll to do it. So, both of these methods are currently available and have been for a while, now. If Computer Application Studio (the developer of DVD Audio Extractor) were to include libdcadec and/or the ability to reference dtsdecoder.dll in DVDAE, the process would be much simpler:

1. MakeMKV to backup the disc.

2. DVD Audio Extractor to extract the desired DTS-HD audio from the backup and convert to desired format.

So, let's put pressure on CAS to add support for decoding DTS-HD. If GuinpinSoft can include it in MakeMKV, surely CAS can in DVD Audio Extractor.

- JediJoker

I use HDBRStreamextractor (a GUI for eac3to) to extract the MKV decrypted ripped mts files. Two steps, full max 24/192 DTS-HD-MA decoding to FLAC (24/96 for multichannel). Yes, a workable dtsdecoder.dll is needed in eac3to's stack.

New eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor - Doom9's Forum

I use HDBRStreamextractor (a GUI for eac3to) to extract the MKV decrypted ripped mts files. Two steps, full max 24/192 DTS-HD-MA decoding to FLAC (24/96 for multichannel). Yes, a workable dtsdecoder.dll is needed in eac3to's stack.

That would be lovely, except eac3to and HDBRStreamextractor are Windows-only. Looking for a native Mac solution. Seems like it would be really simple to add support for DTS-HD in DVDAE.

- JediJoker

That would be lovely, except eac3to and HDBRStreamextractor are Windows-only. Looking for a native Mac solution. Seems like it would be really simple to add support for DTS-HD in DVDAE.

Ah sorry, my bad.

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to get it to do the chapters automatically? Here's an example, I've ripped Dire Straits Alchemy as a full backup using MKV, I'm now using HDBRSe and have selected the title I know is the main movie (24GB) and have selected 1) Chapters as txt and 4) DTS Master Audio extract as wav and it looks like it's extracting as just a single wave file.

What comes next?

What I do is go to Cue Sheet Heaven

cuesheet heaven

and then name the found cue sheet the same as the large flac file (or wav), making sure to open notepad and point the cue sheet FILE line to the correct large music file. Then use a player like JRIver to load the cue sheet and then convert to single track flac (or wav) files. Takes 5 minutes total.

P.S. You can look at the cue sheet before you download or copy/paste the data...making sure you have the right version of Alchemy; otherwise the files will be split with the wrong timings or tags.

Another way to get separate tracks (but an even bigger PITA) is to use Audacity or similar software and cut the tracks at the silences.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Maybe try it through WINE and see it if manages to install or run on macOS?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

• 3 weeks later...

Have completely sussed this out now and wanted to pass it on, all freeware.

1) Use MakeMKV and back up your Blu-ray disc

2) Use Audiomuxer, select Tools > Extract Audio From Blu-ray (navigate into the Blu-ray back up's BDMV folder > PLAYLIST folder > select the first .mpls file and see if it has the running time and audio tracks of the main feature, if not open the 2nd one, etc., until you find the main movie's playlist.

3) Select the dts-ma file and select "Load In AudioMuxer And Split In Chapters" and also check "Export to FLAC" - press EXTRACT

4) Tag your files using AudioMuxer's prompt

5) Manually rename your .flac files once it's completed, the metadata will already be correct including tags and the files will be properly chaptered instead of one big long file.

AudioMuxer's free download already includes all the plugins including a proper dts-ma decoder and MKVextract/merge, etc.

Easy two step solution doesn't require any eac3to CMD prompt knowledge.

If you choose to back up your Blu-ray as an .mkv file using MakeMKV, simply select Extract Audio from MKV/MKA file instead.

Of course for TrueHD and LPCM just use DVDAE on the MakeMKV back-up.

Have completely sussed this out now and wanted to pass it on, all freeware.

1) Use MakeMKV and back up your Blu-ray disc

2) Use Audiomuxer, select Tools > Extract Audio From Blu-ray (navigate into the Blu-ray back up's BDMV folder > PLAYLIST folder > select the first .mpls file and see if it has the running time and audio tracks of the main feature, if not open the 2nd one, etc., until you find the main movie's playlist.

3) Select the dts-ma file and select "Load In AudioMuxer And Split In Chapters" and also check "Export to FLAC" - press EXTRACT

4) Tag your files using AudioMuxer's prompt

5) Manually rename your .flac files once it's completed, the metadata will already be correct including tags and the files will be properly chaptered instead of one big long file.

AudioMuxer's free download already includes all the plugins including a proper dts-ma decoder and MKVextract/merge, etc.

Easy two step solution doesn't require any eac3to CMD prompt knowledge.

If you choose to back up your Blu-ray as an .mkv file using MakeMKV, simply select Extract Audio from MKV/MKA file instead.

Of course for TrueHD and LPCM just use DVDAE on the MakeMKV back-up.

Nice! Thanks for the tip about AudioMuxer.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For Windows OS (maybe Windows Explorer or some other file manager under Wine could function too - I don't use Mac):

One time actions:

• Install eac3to to folder of your choice
  • Unzip the attached script to the eac3to folder
    HD.zip

Extract your bluray disc with any tool capable of it and find the DTS MA file or TrueHD file of your interest (most probably the biggest file).

Drag your source DTS MA or TrueHD file and drop it on the saved HD.bat file. Find the resulting FLAC file in the source folder.

For me it works ... Let me know if for you too.

The latest eac3to is the pre-requisite.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
For Windows OS (maybe Windows Explorer or some other file manager under Wine could function too - I don't use Mac):

One time actions:

• Install eac3to to folder of your choice
  • Unzip the attached script to the eac3to folder
    [ATTACH]31988[/ATTACH]

Extract your bluray disc with any tool capable of it and find the DTS MA file or TrueHD file of your interest (most probably the biggest file).

Drag your source DTS MA or TrueHD file and drop it on the saved HD.bat file. Find the resulting FLAC file in the source folder.

For me it works ... Let me know if for you too.

The latest eac3to is the pre-requisite.

Thanks bogi, will give it a try on Parallels when I return home from work, in April. Will probably try the Audiomuxer method as well. Looks like a relatively simple solution for extracting DTS MA, will be Windows only, for the time being. Wish DVDAE would get their act together and provide an option for the lossless DTS audio tracks!

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I had the same scenario; I wanted to start with a BD-Audio title (Patricia Barber, Modern Cool) and end with FLACs.  I already had demuxed the audio, video and chapters tracks from the title and had them in a folder.  I edited the chapters.txt file by adding the song names to the chapters.  Then I dropped the DTS-HD MA file into the left window of AudioMuxer.  After selecting Split in Files, Rename, Re-Tag and Export to FLAC, I clicked Cue Split. Next I was able to point it to the chapters.txt file.

Then I sat back and watched the output folder as the DTS file was first converted to a single WAV file, that WAV was split into individual WAV files (the songs), those WAVs were converted to FLACs and the FLACs were renamed.  Pretty cool.  After loading them into MP3Tag, the FLACs were tagged and had cover art associated.

jeff

• 1 month later...

With Sgt Pepper coming, that's very timely.

8 hours ago, JediJoker said:

UPDATE: DVD Audio Extractor now supports DTS-HD MA streams and will decode internally, losslessly at full resolution!

Version 7.4.0 is the magic release. Now, if they would just add support for exporting single files with cue sheets above CD resolution, it would reduce my workflow down to two steps and two applications. It's already a huge improvement, as I'm down to three steps and three apps (from six steps and four apps).

Finally! :)

Also an adder to the instructions above for Audio DVD's to use AudioMuxer

1) load the DVD into MakeMKV and scan it as if you were going to rip it. This will apply the copy protection keys.

2) Once it has been scanned just X out in Windows or red button out in Mac

3) Open AudioMuxer and select extract audio from DVD

4) The DVD will be decrypted and you can rip the DTS 96/24 and tag it at the same time

Hope this speeds up things without doing an actual rip or backup then using AudioMuxer (fabulous program)

9 hours ago, mancolh said:

Still does not support DTS 96/24 which is what most Audio DVD's are encoded with. Audiomuxer is still a solution for this.

Really? No way... CAS must be using the code from libdcadec, which supports most forms of DTS encoding, 96/24 lossy included. I'll have to try it on one of my audio DVDs.

- JediJoker