IGNORED

Article: Peachtree Audio nova150 Review

Love Peachtree Audio, and am enjoying the original Nova (redwood) connected to an iMac 14,2 via the X1 USB to coax for 24/96.

Would like to see a true walnut version to replace my current set up (which feeds an antiquated Technics SA-5070 receiver into a pair of even older X-45 Jensne 6.5" bookshelf speakers)

Any suggestions for an external EQ loop (because that just has to be done...).

From Radiohead to Little Feat and Bach

For jazz, classical, country and rock

I thank the Pioneer, the Mac and the Holy Peachtree

For keeping the volume higher than me

Great review and I totally agree with the Better engineering = Better sound statement. I have had a chance to listen to it and I'm totally loving the IOS USB input on the back. This unit sounds great and after listening to it for awhile I find myself enjoying it more. Ultimately it's about what we get out of playing back the content we know and love and connecting to music and the places it takes us.

At T.H.E. Show this year I heard the Nova 150 with the new Elac bookshelf speakers. After listening for about 15 minutes I asked David Solomon to play Rockin Chair by The Band. I could see the fear in his eyes but he finally agreed. He found it on Tidal and played it. A minute into the song he turned to me and smiled. That combination of speaker and amplifier left everyone else in the room uttering the usual audiophile clichés, “I got chills” etc.

I'm a sucker for handsome cabinetry, would made a attractive unobtrusive system.

Looks to be nice choice for a mid $ level hi-fi.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Love Peachtree Audio, and am enjoying the original Nova (redwood) connected to an iMac 14,2 via the X1 USB to coax for 24/96.

Would like to see a true walnut version to replace my current set up (which feeds an antiquated Technics SA-5070 receiver into a pair of even older X-45 Jensne 6.5" bookshelf speakers)

Any suggestions for an external EQ loop (because that just has to be done...).

When I spoke with the factory before purchasing my 150, I inquired about Rosewood and while it has been discontinued due to long term materials availability, they did mention that a Walnut version is coming this fall.

...Those purchasing a nova now can upgrade the nova with WiFi, when released by Peachtree, without a labor charge...

Sounds like a great product. I'm in the market for something similar and was considering a NAD 7050, or Bluesound product. I will give this a hard look. Have they discussed when the wifi upgrade should be available?

Thx

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

The "WiFi" module ... is is purely wifi or will is accommodate a wired ethernet connection too?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No wired Ethernet.

That's a shame (IMO).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

At T.H.E. Show this year I heard the Nova 150 with the new Elac bookshelf speakers. After listening for about 15 minutes I asked David Solomon to play Rockin Chair by The Band. I could see the fear in his eyes but he finally agreed. He found it on Tidal and played it. A minute into the song he turned to me and smiled. That combination of speaker and amplifier left everyone else in the room uttering the usual audiophile clichés, “I got chills” etc.

Me too. Thanks for asking.

Looks like a winner! Nice snapshot review of it's basic sound and capabilities.

I did find it a bit ironic though when I read your comparison to the older units and

your reference to their "analog" sound as if it was a big step back (im sure there are many reasons the newer ones sound "better) all the while using recordings from an era that were obviously recorded purely analog. The "analog" sound of those recordings sure seems to be ok!

David

...Those purchasing a nova now can upgrade the nova with WiFi, when released by Peachtree, without a labor charge...

Sounds like a great product. I'm in the market for something similar and was considering a NAD 7050, or Bluesound product. I will give this a hard look. Have they discussed when the wifi upgrade should be available?

Thx

Kenreau

I had the NAD D 7050, currently have a Peachtree 220se and just ordered a Bluesound Node 2.

The NAD was a great amp - can't say anything bad about it about from perhaps for a large room it might not have the oomph you need. I think the Bluesound Powernode has similar amp technology and power output to the NAD (sister companies).

But I'm a Peachtree guy for life now lol

Would have been nice to have an ethernet connection to the new Peachtree's, to have a hard wired connection to my NAS. But I'm sure that will come in the future and for now I've got the Bluesound Node 2 coming.

Looking forward to hearing the Nova 300 when she lands in Australia! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

to those who have or have heard the Nova 150 would you consider it to be a warm or bright sounding amplifier. I'm looking for an amp with a neutral or warm sound. any recommendations. would the 150 be suitable. love the look of this amp and it has all the features I need.

• 10 months later...

Took me a while, but I ordered one of these this morning.  

It and it's big brother are available with a 25% discount, if you trade in an old amp, preamp, or something along those lines. 

Evening from GoodWill... :)

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 year later...