IGNORED

Article: AudioQuest DragonFly Red & DragonFly Black Review

This does not work for me with a new iPad Pro and an older Dragonfly black. Sorry if I missed it reading through the posts. We were discussing this on another forum (AudioKarma). I can't figure out why I get no sound. I have a variety of headphones and ear buds but no sound. The Dragonfly turns on the green light. Etymotics, PSB, Grado, Sennheiser, HiFiman.

This does not work for me with a new iPad Pro and an older Dragonfly black. Sorry if I missed it reading through the posts. We were discussing this on another forum (AudioKarma). I can't figure out why I get no sound. I have a variety of headphones and ear buds but no sound. The Dragonfly turns on the green light. Etymotics, PSB, Grado, Sennheiser, HiFiman.

Older DF Black requires too much power.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a DragonFly Red. Using it with my MacBook Air running JRiver and my IEM's I don't have enough gain. With volume at 100 it's still quite low. Any ideas? I've been though all the setting in JRiver but there isn't anything that's changing it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I got a DragonFly Red. Using it with my MacBook Air running JRiver and my IEM's I don't have enough gain. With volume at 100 it's still quite low. Any ideas? I've been though all the setting in JRiver but there isn't anything that's changing it.

My guess is it's a volume control issue somewhere. Try it with some other apps and also open the Mac sounds / volume settings to adjust it. I just want to make sure it's possible to get it louder before digging deeper.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My guess is it's a volume control issue somewhere. Try it with some other apps and also open the Mac sounds / volume settings to adjust it. I just want to make sure it's possible to get it louder before digging deeper.

I've tried that everywhere I know. Nothing. Same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Did you try the technique discussed in Message #72 above? I found where you control volume has substantial effects.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 1 month later...
I got it working now. Had to roll back to non beta version of software.

One item that was implicit in the purchase of the DF was the promise of a firmware update enabling MQA and iOS app fo rcontrol of the DAC.

Wondering where and when this may be released. Any one heard anything positive?

• 10 months later...

I can't get over just how good the sound is from DFR.  I did some a/b comparisons to Fiio X5 3rd gen, setting the filter to "short delay fast rolloff" which is equivalent to the DFR's minimum phase (zero prering, moderate to high post ring).  The DFR was clearly the victor to my ears.  I think the issue with the Fiio is a slightly dark presentation from the amp stage rather than the DAC chip.  The DFR sounded more linear, with better bass extension and control and not quite as "bloaty" as the Fiio.  

Also, the Fiio presented noticeable background hiss, balanced jack was better than the SE for sure but still wasn't as quiet as the DFR.  It also had more narrow soundstage than the dragonfly, something I don't value as much as others, but worth noting. 

So I'm going to be selling my Fiio X5iii and buying an ipod touch to use with the DFR and CCK 3.