IGNORED

Audiophile PCI USB Cards

Current setup:

Core i7 Workstation -> Elijah Audio USB cable (without power wires) -> USB S/PDIF converter (M2tech HiFace EVO)

Now I want to build a small Core i5 music server, as I'll use the same USB cable and DDC that does not need power from USB, I would like to hear from you guys opinion if I should include dedicated audiophile PCI USB card like CLONES Audio SHAAR or SOtM tX-USBexp?

I can steer you away from Paul Pang equipment. My card was defective and he refused to replace it. Same story for many other parts I got from him. I know others have had different experiences, though. But it did make a nice improvement in sound quality out of the one working port.

Considered the SOTM and asked SOTM USA if it could be returned if there was any compatibility issues. They weren't happy with that question so I didn't give them my business.

I've heard lots of good things about the JCAT card.

+1 on the Jcat card. I have used two generations of SOtM USB cards (PCI and PCIe) before I got the Jcat. The latter is much better.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I can steer you away from Paul Pang equipment. My card was defective and he refused to replace it. Same story for many other parts I got from him. I know others have had different experiences, though. But it did make a nice improvement in sound quality out of the one working port.

Considered the SOTM and asked SOTM USA if it could be returned if there was any compatibility issues. They weren't happy with that question so I didn't give them my business.

I've heard lots of good things about the JCAT card.

The alternative with a company like SOtM is to order from a vendor that allows returns. There are some.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This is not a USB card. It's a different type of product altogether meant to treat the USB signal. A USB card or on-mainboard USB connection is still needed with this device.

Yes but in theory this product would make it unnecessary to also get one of those audiophile USB cards right?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Current setup:

Core i7 Workstation -> Elijah Audio USB cable (without power wires) -> USB S/PDIF converter (M2tech HiFace EVO)

Now I want to build a small Core i5 music server, as I'll use the same USB cable and DDC that does not need power from USB, I would like to hear from you guys opinion if I should include dedicated audiophile PCI USB card like CLONES Audio SHAAR or SOtM tX-USBexp?

You may find this thread of some use as it has various opinions on the pci usb cards:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/soul-music-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-card-vs-ppastudio-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-card-v2-19325/

You're right, if the output is similar in quality to a high end USB card.

I asked Paul McGowan whether using the LAN Rover made audiophile USB cards unnecessary. He said he hadn't tried them, so it is still an open question. But it does indicate that he thought it was worth bringing to market (or at least beta testing) using the stock usb outputs. On a related note, the microRendu makes usb cards unnecessary, but that requires a properly setup LAN.

The main difference I found between the SOtM and PPA is neutrality, better transparency, and sound staging on the former. This also enhances the oomph on the bass that delivers it more cleanly in my system compared to PPA. Each systems could be different because others are seeing it the other way around. PPA appears to shape the sound differently while SOtM preserves it.

• 1 year later...

This is my first post here.

I've been using the Paul Pang v 2 card for over a year.  I ordered it directly from PPA.com.  It didn't have any issues, plug and play all the way.  PPA offers good customer service from what I've seen.  I later ordered the external power bracket, it was sent promptly.

My PC is an old Dell Precision 690 Workstation, xeon quads.  Why the dinosaur ?  It the muscle car of PCs, unlimited RAM (16g in it now), room for my old fat hands inside the case.  Windows 10 runs great on it. 

My current stereo set-up is two channel (will always be two channel).  It's a Parasound P/LD 1100 pre, and two Parasound HCA-750As, the amps are bridged mono, my speakers are ADS L1290s.  My DAC is a MusicHall 25.3 with an upgraded buffer tube, a Mullard CV2493.

The PPv2 went in easy.  At first,  I powered it from the PC's power supply.  My initial impression was maybe I shouldn't have spent the $130.  The dedicated USB channel is a good place to start, though.  I started to appreciate the sound after a while, although it wasn't a huge step in sound improvement.

I can't fault the PPv2 it seems to be a good foundation.  I've since added a Singxer F-1 to my digital chain.  The xmos SPDIF converter was/is a very noticeably step toward analogue sound.  It has good synergy with the PPv2.  

Recently I added an clean external 5vdc source; iFi iPower.  My set-up keeps sounding better, IMHO.

I realize my testimony is nothing but apocrypha, one man's subjective impression.  But I wanted to balance the posts that are anti-Paul Pang.  His stuff works fine. 

I'm also building a new music server to connect directly to my T+A DAC 8 DSD.

I have ordered a JCAT femto card. For the price, I hope its worth it! :D

I am hoping to run the card without additional power either via the PC power supply (plan A if needed) or external 5V (plan B if needed and when funds allow...).

In the JCAT manual it says the external power is for the USB power rail - the card itself does not need the power.

Can anyone confirm that the card can be run without external power, provided the DAC doesn't need the USB power (have asked this question in the T + A DAC 8 DSD thread as I cannot find the answer anywhere...).

Cheers,

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

The only card I would use today is the SOtM txbexp pcie.  With the added exception that you have to modify this card with the new SCLK-EX clocking board from SOtM and use the other 3 clocks for the server and use a master clock.   Otherwise the Ethernet option to a renderer is probably superior.

I have used 3 different PPA cards.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

5 hours ago, eternaloptimist said:

I am hoping to run the card without additional power either via the PC power supply (plan A if needed) or external 5V (plan B if needed and when funds allow...).

In the JCAT manual it says the external power is for the USB power rail - the card itself does not need the power.

Can anyone confirm that the card can be run without external power, provided the DAC doesn't need the USB power (have asked this question in the T + A DAC 8 DSD thread as I cannot find the answer anywhere...).

Cheers,

Well to conform to USB standard the 5V is supplied from the source in this case the JCat.  

The Usb needs to supply 500ma for USB2 , since it's a blue colour 1300mA.

The power is sourced from the Pc via the white connector at the side of the card.  

The schematic is in the manual or here on the ifigalvanic3.0 thread. Oh don't use the filters,  they drag the 5V to out of spec and the DAC doesn't see the PC.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Well to conform to USB standard the 5V is supplied from the source in this case the JCat.  

The Usb needs to supply 500ma for USB2 , since it's a blue colour 1300mA.

The power is sourced from the Pc via the white connector at the side of the card.  

The schematic is in the manual or here on the ifigalvanic3.0 thread. Oh don't use the filters,  they drag the 5V to out of spec and the DAC doesn't see the PC.

Many thanks.  Very,  very interesting. Will definitely keep this in mind.

i suppose, I wonder if the USB power is needed by the dac....?

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

10 hours ago, eternaloptimist said:

Cheers,

Hi, it can be run without external power. In this case the power for USB chipset and clock will be supplied from PCIe lane and there will be no 5V present via USB ports. This will work for self-powered USB DACs. However, even if DAC does not require 5V over USB, you will benefit quite a bit if you use a quality 5V PSU with the JCAT card. 

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 11 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 7:21 PM, Marcin_gps said:

Hi, it can be run without external power. In this case the power for USB chipset and clock will be supplied from PCIe lane and there will be no 5V present via USB ports. This will work for self-powered USB DACs. However, even if DAC does not require 5V over USB, you will benefit quite a bit if you use a quality 5V PSU with the JCAT card. 

Best regards,
Marcin

if we use external power then does USB chipset and Clock use clean external power?