IGNORED

SonicTransporter vs MacMini

Ok. got HQPlayer and Roon running.. do you mind sharing screenshot of your HQPlayer setting?
I will be away for the next week so can't but what you want is:

1- Go to Preferences, set the device to NetworkAudioAdapter. If the mR is in NAA mode it will be discovered automatically

2- Set the DSD encoding to DoP in the same window, the upsampling to ASDM7, and the output to 5.6MHz (I think your DAC takes DoP with a max of 128)

3- In the main window set the last of the four toggles to SDM, the previous to the last to ASDM7 (I think this should happen automatically, not sure)

I think you're done at this point. If anyone sees something wrong please correct it, I am going from memory as I am away.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So what is the last word about the sonic advantages (if any) of replacing a mac-mini with Sonic Transporter i5, as home for Roon Core/server in a system?

The Mac mini is the current home of my Roon Core, which is linked to the following chain in my reference system:

Ultrarendu + LPS1 ==>> Schiit Yggy (USB) via a phasure Lush cable, which I may also replace with a Inakustic Reference USB cable.

I would like to know what difference the Sonic Transporter would make, and if the difference is worth it, since it represents quite a significant investment for me, ATM.

Any helpful thoughts would be welcome.

3 hours ago, sahmen said:

So what is the last word about the sonic advantages (if any) of replacing a mac-mini with Sonic Transporter i5, as home for Roon Core/server in a system?

The Mac mini is the current home of my Roon Core, which is linked to the following chain in my reference system:

Ultrarendu + LPS1 ==>> Schiit Yggy (USB) via a phasure Lush cable, which I may also replace with a Inakustic Reference USB cable.

I would like to know what difference the Sonic Transporter would make, and if the difference is worth it, since it represents quite a significant investment for me, ATM.

Machine wise probably not much. Note carefully that the recommended hardware for Roon Optimized Core Kit  uses M.2 SSD for OS/core... I don't believe you have that with either option you are considering.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Machine wise probably not much. Note carefully that the recommended hardware for Roon Optimized Core Kit  uses M.2 SSD for OS/core... I don't believe you have that with either option.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

The sonicTransporter uses sonicOrbiter OS and runs Roon Server very well.

ROCK is a DIY route, to run Roon OS (that works well). But that's very different to the options asked about.

The sonicTransporter is a fanless and headless solution and well supported by Small Green Computer. It's built with all the right parts to run Roon Server very well.

ROCK doesn't relate to either of those being asked about - but it is a 3rd option (DIY).

12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

The sonicTransporter uses sonicOrbiter OS and runs Roon Server very well.

ROCK is a DIY route, to run Roon OS (that works well). But that's very different to the options asked about.

The sonicTransporter is a fanless and headless solution and well supported by Small Green Computer. It's built with all the right parts to run Roon Server very well.

ROCK doesn't relate to either of those being asked about - but it is a 3rd option (DIY).

hmm,  are you asserting that an M.2 SSD for OS/core won't make Roon perform better?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

My Mac Mini has an SSD for storage, although it is not storing much of anything,  and it (the mac mini) is pretty much dedicated solely to serving as a home to the Roon core.  Sometimes, after an update, the Mac mini goes to sleep and shuts down the roon core, but it only takes a couple of clicks on my remote keyboard to solve that problem... Which means, it is practically no problem at all...  Roon has so far worked flawlessly on it, serving all my associated endpoints in the house without any glitches at all..,  My only reason for considering the sonic transporter i5 is SQ related, so if there are no real SQ benefits to be had by making the swap, then . I'd rather stay put with what I already have...

BTW thanks to Ralf11, Em2016, and davide256 for your helpful inputs.

33 minutes ago, davide256 said:

hmm,  are you asserting that an M.2 SSD for OS/core won't make Roon perform better?

Per the product website of the sonicT i5, it already comes with an M.2 SSD.... As i mentioned above, it comes with all the right parts to make Roon Server run very well.

the fanless comment above is a good one - do you ever hear fan noise?

in the final analysis, if the Sonic has a return privilege it might be worth checking out - if you do, find your best SQ favorites and note them for a trial, then do blind testing to be sure

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the fanless comment above is a good one - do you ever hear fan noise?

in the final analysis, if the Sonic has a return privilege it might be worth checking out - if you do, find your best SQ favorites and note them for a trial, then do blind testing to be sure

I really don't hear any fan noise from the Mac mini, ever since it began serving in this role.  If it indeed ever makes any noise, then I have not heard it from my usual listening position (and I am indeed familiar with the the sound of that fan noise, since I have about 4 different Macs around the house.

I do agree that any SQ related benefits of the Sonic Transporter are worth considering, which is why I am making this inquiry.  However, I am sensing that there might be no clearly obvious ones, since I have not heard about any that are compelling, or would be compelling for someone in my position.  This is a fairly old thread, but I am willing to wait to hear more contributions, as I am in no hurry.

I would gladly go ahead and buy the ST in order to experiment first hand, were it not as expensive as it is.

9 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Per the product website of the sonicT i5, it already comes with an M.2 SSD.... As i mentioned above, it comes with all the right parts to make Roon Server run very well.

I don't find that on their site, all its says is SSD...

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i5?variant=20893269700

comes with

"Storage:

• 64GB SSD for server database (Roon Server, Squeezebox, DLNA) no local music storage."

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I don't find that on their site, all its says is SSD...

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i5?variant=20893269700

comes with

"Storage:

• 64GB SSD for server database (Roon Server, Squeezebox, DLNA) no local music storage."

Noted. It is though...

No need to believe me though, @agillis can confirm it's an M.2 SSD used in the sonicTransporters.

On 9/1/2016 at 12:54 PM, flummoxe said:

After much deliberation I ordered the sonicTransporter i7 early evening on Friday.

Did you add the HQPlayer option ? 

(HQPlayer can’t be move to another device)

Edit. Just notice this is a old post. 

On 7/9/2018 at 11:37 PM, sahmen said:

Have you seen this one ?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-mini-dc-conversion-linear-fan-controller-kit-mmk

SMG or Sonore I believe has (or had) an offer to upgrade your UltraRendu to the Signature SE. 

Why not spend $35 on the uspcb ?

And maybe you like this post:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30519-berkeley-alpha-usb-still-relevant/?do=findComment&comment=844768

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Have you seen this one ?

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-mini-dc-conversion-linear-fan-controller-kit-mmk

SMG or Sonore I believe has (or had) an offer to upgrade your UltraRendu to the Signature SE. 

Why not spend $35 on the uspcb ?

And maybe you like this post:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30519-berkeley-alpha-usb-still-relevant/?do=findComment&comment=844768

Yes  I have seen that conversion kit before, but no confirmation of its beneficial effects on sq.  At any rate, my Mac Mini only houses the roon core, and does not actually render or play the streamed files that feed my Yggy (i.e., it does not do what the ultrarendu does), which is what is giving rise to the skepticism about its ability to improve the sound quality of my two channel rig.

I am not sure I understand the rest of your question, regarding the possible ultrarendu upgrade (which I am not considering), and the USPCB (which I already have,, but am not using in this particular system)

• 2 months later...